Is it sin to lie in non-hurtful jokes and pranks?

For example, when running late to class, I come across my classmates going out of the classroom. I ask, “Is there no class?” They reply, “There was, and you’re absent.” I become distressed and sad, but then they say, “Just kidding! Professor is absent.” We all laugh about it.

Another example is when my mom asks me how I did in an exam, I tell her I I failed and she becomes distressed and comforts me. Then, I tell her “Just kidding! I aced it!” She smiles and calls me names.

Are those instances considered sinful lying?

That’s not really “lying”. And as long as you’re not laughing at the other person’s expense then that doesn’t sound sinful.

I don’t think that’s really lying, and like the poster above said, as long as you’re not making fun of someone, I don’t think it’s a sin.

In the case of truly non-hurtful, I don’t know, but those don’t sound truly non-hurtful. You said that you felt sad and distressed, and the same about your mother when you said that you failed an exam. My lifeteen group had a life-night about this kind of thing, and they discouraged us from doing such things, because they DID hurt.

I’ll third the above two opinions.

Agree with the others…but with the caution that such joking can cross the line.

Apply the golden Rule…How do you feel when someone does this to you? Then you know if you should do it to others. As an example - I’m not a big fan of practical jokes - and while I have had them played on me…and I try to take it them with grace…I don’t do them to others because, as I say - I’m not a fan of practical jokes.

Also - it’s a good idea to restrict this type of joking to people you really know well.

Peace
James

How about if the person being made fun of doesn’t mind it? My sisters like making fun of me for dressing sloppily or not having as high-tech gadgets as they do, but I don’t feel hurt and sometimes I laugh along too. Is that ok?

Or how about if you made a joke about someone where you didn’t intend to hurt him or her and was convinced the joke was clean before telling it, but the person was still hurt and angered. Is that sin?

of course there is no sin here. You and your family surely know each other well enough to gauge what is ok and what is not.

Or how about if you made a joke about someone where you didn’t intend to hurt him or her and was convinced the joke was clean before telling it, but the person was still hurt and angered. Is that sin?

Hhmmmm that’s a tough one.
The key here is making a joke “about someone”…
This could possibly fall under the heading of gossip.

The intent to harm is not there…but the result is still harm.

I’m only guessing here…or expressing how I would view it in myself…but I would consider this to be an unintentional venial sin since, while it was unintentional - it was still an act against charity in that it harmed another.
We would know that this is true because upon learning that the other person was hurt by this - we would (or should) feel badly that we did it.

Others may disagree with my assessment here…but that’s my 2 cents

Peace
James

Thanks for the answers everyone. I agree that hurting someone unintentionally is sin, but a venial one.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.