Is it sin to talk for sake of talking?

“You will give an account for every iddle word you have said”, says the Lord. Does this mean that talking for a sake of twlkng is sinful? It’s weird how many times I do this (or have done this, if it is sinful)… Jokes that are not funny (even to me), useless words… all just say something. I know it’s not good, but is it sinful? If not, what does Jesus refer to? And don’t say gossips, etc., because Jesus doesn’t say wicked, but iddle (alhough iddle are also wicked, if they are sinful).
SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH!

As long as the talking isn’t harming anyone and isn’t preventing you from doing something mandatory at the time, then I don’t think so.

This is just my opinion, I’m not really sure what the Church teaches about this topic.

Greetings,
Talking for the sake of talking is unskillful. Not everything has to be a sin in order not to do. The creator is heard in whispers I’ve heard. How can we hear the creator if we aren’t quiet, if we’re not silent. Talking just to talk is a waste of time, energy and breath. Mother Teresa said “silence gives us a new outlook on everything.” Blessings and take care.

Whether or not it is a sin, I don’t think that Matt 12:36 (“I tell you, on Judgment Day people will give an account for every thoughtless word they have uttered,”) is directly relevant. IMHO, our Lord here is not addressing trivial chatter, but rather the things we say without proper care to impact of our words. I think particularly of when we use empty words to slam-dunk a conversation with false information or empty promises. Our words are “idle” in the sense that they may come easily but are uttered just for the personal gain, with no sense of responsibility. Such words may benefit us here and now, but we will give account for every one them. If we promise something and don’t deliver, then we will have to deliver on day of judgement; and so forth, with lies and misinformation. We may forget them, others may forget them (but are less likely to than we are!), but God doesn’t.

Also, there is, of course, gossip and detraction, where a few words, or even a raising of the eyebrows, can damage someone’s reputation.

:twocents:… :slight_smile:

No. Read the whole passage:

33 “Either make the tree good, and its fruit good; or make the tree bad, and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit. 34 You brood of vipers! how can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 The good man out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil man out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. 36 I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter; 37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

The whole passage is about hypocrisy. Saying one thing and doing another. Jesus is talking to the Pharisees, who outwardly spoke good and pious things, but inwardly they were unfaithful. He’s saying our words need to match our actions, because that’s what we’re going to be judged on. If we are talking good and piously, then we better be living up to those words. Don’t carelessly speak like you are holy, and then act sinfully.

He’s not saying we can never joke or that every word must be some kind of sermon with a definite point. A lot of the saints joked you know. :thumbsup:

Please talk to a priest though. Scrupulosity is a heavy burden, and not something God wants you to have. I tend towards scrupulosity myself, but a priest really helped me to conquer it, by explaining to me what sin really is. It’s not a matter of breaking arbitrary rules. Deep down, it’s a refusal to love.

Sometimes we love something more than him so completely, we reject him so utterly, that we lose all grace in our souls. That’s a mortal sin. Sometimes though we just are attached to something a little more than we should be, and that weakens our love for him. That’s a venial sin.

When I realized this, there was so much freedom. True freedom though, not license. The freedom that Christ came to give us. I still take sin seriously, but I’m not worried about accidentally sinning anymore. I’m not worried that every time I do something I enjoy, I might have sinned. because now I know it all comes down to love. “If we love him, we will keep his commandments, and his commandments are not burdensome.” We don’t have to constantly worry about if a certain action is sinful or not. All we have to do is love Him. Focusing on Him and not on ourselves and what we do is the only way to real joy.

Now yes, there are some actions that are objectively wrong, that are always against loving God and neighbor. but guess what, and this is another thing that gave me great peace, that’s why God left us a Church! We’re not orphans, we don’t have to figure out by our own interpretation of the bible what is sinful or not. We can look to the Church as our guide and mother. She’ll tell us if an action is harmful or not. And if she says it is ok, then that’s the end of the story. There’s no need to second guess, because God is guiding her. That was a huge relief to me when I realized that.

So please, be at peace my friend. We have a guide in the Church to tell us what is sinful and what isn’t. Listen to it. Go to confession, leave your burden there, and know that God loves you more than you will ever know. He’s not looking to condemn you. Don’t try to figure things out on your own. That’s a sure way to fail.

Life soldier,

Have you set up that meeting with your priest yet? Again, not confession, not talking after mass, but an hour plus long appointment in his office. You are again recycling your scrupulous questions.

God lets us live life, he is not an ogre in the sky waiting to hit us with a Mallot.

Ask yourself this question whenever you think something so mundane as speaking is a sin, ask yourself, “do I love God and am I putting faith in his grace and mercy”.

You really need to just let it go. I don’t believe one thing you’ve posited over the last few months has been a sin.

Please print out all these questions and take them to your priest and ask him for help understanding how to not be so scrupulous.

You need some freedom in your life…God desires that for you. His Grace is sufficient for you.

Often when we read the bible or listen to homilies, we pick up on those so called “pearls of wisdom” , those words we want to use to be a guiding light in our lives, but if we ignore the words that prepared us to grasp their meaning then we found nothing but a grain of sand.

A good rule of thumb when quoting or being quoted a bible verse is to read at least five verses prior to and after the verse to help get a better understanding of that verses true meaning.

Some things are outright sins, Others are only imperfections.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.