Is it sinful to be annointed with oil (sacrament for healing) by an Episcopalian priest?

Receiving communion consecrated by an Episcopalian priest is a mortal sin, but is receiving their sacrament of annointing the sick? I was very sick and a relative who is an Episcopalian priest came up to me, said he was going to annoint me with his holy oil and then did so. I let him annoint me without even thinking of whether or not it was right to receive it. Obviously I would not receive communion from him now that I’m Catholic but I’m not sure about this one.

I do not think it would be a sin. He was praying for you. You have nothing to worry about. :slight_smile:

You weren’t exactly in your full conscience, you were sick… I don’t know if you were capable of denying the annointment, especially when your relative came to you to do it. I mean, in our society’s standards it would’ve been a bit rude to deny it, and he wasn’t exactly annointing you in the name of Allah, if you get my saying. :thumbsup:

In any case, I’d tell you to bring it up to the priest in the next confession that you do. Personally I wouldn’t consider this a case of mortal sin due to you not having full conscience of the act, plus the context of the situation, but if you want to play safe and in God’s grace, you might want to withold yourself from Holy Communion until everything is clarified on wheter or not this annointment was an occasion of sin. :wink:

Yes, it is.

However, at the time, you did not know that, therefore you are not culpable of anything.

No one can ever “receive their sacrament of anointing of the sick” because there is no sacrament to be received. One might be anointed with oil, but no sacrament occurs.

If you are still ill (and I hope not) then it’s very important for you to request the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick from a Catholic priest----if the illness is severe enough to warrant the Sacrament (again, I hope not.)

I was in the hospital for nine days but I was fully conscious and perfectly capable of saying no. If I had been convinced it was a sin I would have told him not to and explained why even though yes it is very rude. I care very deeply for my faith but when he walked up to my bedside and whipped out his bottle of oil I did feel like I should be cautious but I was exhausted from my medical ordeal and his long visit, and the whole “sacrament” happened so fast I didnt have time to think about it. He had been visiting with me for hours amd hadnt said a thing about wanting to annoint me, he just snuck it in at the end. Even if my uncle did give me a moment to think it over I wouldnt have been sure because, as is obvious from me asking this question on this forum, I just dont know! I did receive this sacrament from a Catholic priest the next day.

I’ve already received communion a bunch of times since then. I went to confession today and intended to bring this up but I always start with my imperfections and venial sins and then if there’s something like this where I’m just not sure I tag it on at the end…but today I guess Father, who is an excellent and holy priest, was very busy because he literally cut me off and didnt let me finish my four things long list of stuff to confess. He just cut right in and gave advise for something and then absolved me of my sins.

Unfortunately, that’s typical style for many Episcopalian clergy: pushing themselves on Catholics and not giving the Catholic the time or opportunity to think things over, much less to refuse. Avoiding the subject for hours, then just forcing it on you at the last moment is just the type of behavior that has become almost routine among many of them.

I once had an Episcopalian “priest” come up to me at the last moment and demand that he was going to “concelebrate” with me at an outdoor Mass. Not ask, not offer, but demand. It wasn’t pretty. It ended with him threatening to report me to my bishop, of all things. I offered to give him the address and suggested he send a CC to Pope John Paul.
I know they can be pushy.

Go ahead and mention it the next time you go to Confession, but do not, repeat do not, worry too much about it because you’re not at fault (well, maybe in just the slightest, most minute way, but by far nothing even approaching mortal).

For the future though, do understand that Episcopalians are not validly ordained, and they cannot administer any sacraments (except baptism, and witnessing marriages). The problem you’ll have in the future is that I can almost guarantee you that he will say “but, you let me do it before…” Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.