Is it sinful to desire attention?

Positive Attention is the thing I desire third highest in life. I am a socially awkward teen boy who gets made fun of. I feel like no one who is fully (wo)man loves me and I desire to be lived in one way or another. I know I don’t deserve it but I feel so lonely. Is it wrong to want attention when only God deserves it?

Do your parents give you attention?

We are human beings. Human beings are social creatures. We physically and mentally need attention, there is absolutely nothing wrong with desiring attention.

It would be wrong to try to get that attention through sinful means (gossiping or lying about a tragedy happening in your life, for example), and it would be sinful to desire attention because of pride, but to simply desire attention for the sake of fulfilling a basic human need is not wrong.

It’s not about “deserving” attention.

Not really. They feed me and such but they don’t often.

God never tires of giving you His full attention if you allow him. Remember you are more loved by God than any other person. You are more precious to Him than any other person who holds you dear to them!

All of us desire attention or some kind of recognition especially when we are young and our personas are forming. As we get older or hopefully more mature we can direct these needs in a fruitful manner. God didn’t place these emotions in us without reason so try to offer your needs up to He Who Made you. HARD, YES? POSSIBLE, ABSOLUTELY.

You could try giving them more attention and see if they respond gd.With some people, even if they are your parents ,you need to really try and initiate .

You are by far not alone, there are plenty of people who feel like they are at the bottom of the peeking order. I was and am still a bit socially awkward. It can be worse if you are a fairly intelligent kid. The weird thing is that the people making fun of you are also insecure and push down other people to compensate. The ones who don’t bully are the most secure ones. I’d also bet that there is a fairly high ratio of “geeks” here, who else would argue the fine points of theology! The good news is that, and know it sounds like a millennia for you, but things usually get better. Your peers grow up…and actually behave like adults and this will happen fairly quickly in hindsight.

I don’t know what to tell you about your parents. Adults can get absorbed in the stresses of normal life, but it doesn’t sound like they are all that bad. Ask one of them if you can spend sometime and talk, I for one love it when my child opens up to his feelings to me. He’s a talkative 6 years old, so I’m not sure how long that will all last… My guess is that they aren’t all that aware of your feelings, it’s hard for people to read minds and your parents are no different. You may have to open some wounds to do this, but that’s also a part of the healing process.

To answer your main question, no, it is not a sin in the most remote way possible.

Positive Attention is the thing I desire third highest in life. I am a socially awkward teen boy who gets made fun of. I feel like no one who is fully (wo)man loves me and I desire to be lived in one way or another. I know I don’t deserve it but I feel so lonely. Is it wrong to want attention when only God deserves it?

You’re not alone in this! Pray for the grace of humility, and give it time. You will find someone who loves you. And always remember that God loves you perfectly!

Wanting attention is a normal part of humanity. You literally need it for normal cognitive and social development. Don’t worry about that. Just don’t do stupid/immoral stuff to get it.

Attention is one thing respect and courtesy is another thing. If you are looking to have your ego complimented or to be told constantly how “good” you are then that would be pride. But just to be given common courtesy of hello, Hi, how are you there is nothing wrong with that.

It’s only natural to desire attention and love from others. It is part of our humanity to want this and not a sin at all.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.