Is it sinful to eat Blowfish?

Blowfish is a poisonous fish that is a delicacy in Japan. It has to be prepared by an expert chef to ensure that all its poison is removed. A mistake in preparation could be fatal.

In ordering Blowfish, is one being reckless to a morally unacceptable degree?

I’ve never tried it. Is it any good? Would you say it’s worth the (very slight) risk?

I wonder who the first person was who discovered that it’s possible to eat it after the poison has been removed, and how many people lost their lives along the way to that final discovery.

I haven’t tried it either. The one time I visited Japan was on a mission trip. The mission agency staff instructed me very strongly not to try it while on the trip.

If I said it tasted delicious, would that make you want to try it?

You’d have to IMNAAHO be familiar with the culture behind this food item to answer that question.

Are Japanese who eat it drawn to the goodness of the dish, or to daring the danger posed by it? If the second, then this would be unacceptable.

If the first, how hard is it to remove the poison? Many venomous creatures (such as rattlesnakes here in NA) or poisonous plants can be eaten in total safety once the poisonous bits or aspects have been cut or cooked out.

I.e., it would be hard to answer your question without knowing a lot more about the situation.

ICXC NIKA

Yes, it probably would, but there’s one other thing I would also need to find out first. What are the odds? If it’s one chance in six, like Russian roulette, then I’d say thanks but no thanks. (With a risk that high, I expect it would probably be sinful as well – just having a stab at answering your original question.) But if it’s one in six hundred, or six thousand, or six million – well, that would certainly make a difference.

Only parts of the blowfish is toxic. An especially skilled chef would know what organs to remove. Once the toxic organs are removed, the fish is okay to eat. I hear it is especially good as sashimi. I have never tried it. My favorite sashimi fish is salmon so I stick to it.

No.

Only if your intent is to commit suicide.

I 'll take flounder or tilapia and a nice dish of linguini & clam sauce & skip the blowfish! :thumbsup:

People eat rattlesnake. Same difference.

In ordering Blowfish, is one being reckless to a morally unacceptable degree?

I don’t know if I would go so far as to say the term “reckless”, but probably the best word I would use would be “inadvisable”.

Blowfish are not kosher, which is the first warning sign. (If the Creator banned blowfish for the children of Israel, there is probably a good reason.) A kosher fish is a fish with both scales and fins (but only certain kinds of scales). Some fish that are not kosher are fish without scales or fins — such as blowfish, dolphin, and eels. Bottom-feeding fish are also non-kosher.

The laws of kashrut (kosher) are fascinating. They are pretty straightforward, and there are many health benefits to following a kosher diet. While I wouldn’t go so far as to say that eating non-kosher fish is sinful, it certainly doesn’t hurt to avoid non-kosher food, if only for health reasons alone.

I do not keep kosher, but then again I am not a child of Israel. I am a Gentile dog.

I do on occasion enjoy bacon. I just limit it to a once a week treat.

I guess that eliminates my clams & macaroni. :crying:

This is why I cannot keep kosher. I like my shellfish too much.

Kosher is not a requirement if you are Catholic. You know that right?

Dolphins are not fish; they are mammals. No one should eat dolphins. They can be trained and are affectionate creatures.

I think StGerardMajella meant dolphin fish, which in Hawaiian is called Mahi Mahi. It is a fish. I don’t think he meant the air breathing mammal.

The same thing can be said about pigs. They can be trained and are affectionate creatures.

My daughter lives in Japan and tried it. She said it tasted sort of bitter.

Fun fact: Fugu, or blowfish, is actually the only food that the Emperor of Japan is forbidden by law to eat, due to the slight but real risk of accidental poisoning. Each year, according to the site below, there is an average of 30 or so accidental fugu poisonings in Japan, of which 6% or so are fatalities.

In fact, under the Tokugawa shoguns, 1603-1868, Fugu was banned outright all across Japan due to the danger inherent in consuming it if improperly prepared.

japan-talk.com/jt/new/fugu

We were having Mahi Mahi at a restaurant & my wife’s cousin told our daughter who was 10 yrs. old, we just ate Dolly Dolphin. She wouldn’t finish her meal but she knew he liked to kid around. :smiley:

No.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.