Is it sinful to laugh at profanity?

For some reason I find profanity funny. I try to avoid swearing myself as I know it’s sinful, but when friends, family, or fictional characters do it, I can’t help but laugh at the anger and carelessness of the words. Is it bad to do so?

[quote="jedpatrickdatu, post:1, topic:329682"]
For some reason I find profanity funny. I try to avoid swearing myself as I know it's sinful, but when friends, family, or fictional characters do it, I can't help but laugh at the anger and carelessness of the words. Is it bad to do so?

[/quote]

Well, that's never the question for us...we must ask: is it good? ;)

Sure profanity often sounds funny - to me, at least. But indulging in that kind of amusement is not proper :) If it happens, it happens, just always be how you are now: aware that the Lord would rather have all men speak without cursing :o

For some individuals I think laughter is an involuntary reaction to surprises, incongruities, or uncomfortable situations. I don't know if that applies in your situation. In any case, it would be wise to break that habit.

Also, do you mean blasphemy -- insulting God or taking His name in vain -- or mere vulgarity, like potty-humour and the dreaded F-bomb?

The first is an obvious violation of the Second Commandment. The second, not so much, but there is a chance that a third party could be scandalized by it, so perhaps those words should be avoided. YMMV.

So there is a diff: whether the words violate sacred morals or social mores.

That being said....most vulgarities have to do with bodily processes, and their acceptable clinical descriptors generally all come to us from Latin, while their vulgar counterparts all come from Old English, where they were perfectly cromulent words.

I do not laugh at swear words when it's said in a serious real-life fight or in a way that deeply hurts others. At these times, the cussing actually scares me. I laugh at them only when it's said casually(like potty-humor and F-bombs), in a joking manner, and when it's said by someone a bit ticked off, both in reality and in TV shows or movies.

Is it also bad to laugh at the pain of others? Like slapstick in movies, or like in T.V. shows like Just for Laughs, where they prank people. Also, in shows like American Idol and Masterchef, there are some eccentric contestants that do very weird stuff and the judges mock and laugh at them. There are also backstage catfights between contestants which I find funny. Is it bad to laugh at that too?

Also, good point about laughter being involutnary. Can we control what we would find funny? Should we hold back our laughter even if we really want to burst out?

This thread seems highly relevant to me at the moment. I went to see the Hangover 3 last night and I thought some parts were very funny. Could I have lead anyone in the audience or my friend I was seeing it with to scandal, since they may have thought my laughing at profane words, situations were sort of like an approval of it?

Your giving approval to something sinful is a sin on your part. God bless you.

So it is wrong to laugh at violence as well? Or at funny angry speeches on TV? I know violence and uncontrolled wrath are sinful and should be forsaken, but we have to admit they’re sometimes funny to watch even though we don’t want it to happen. What if they’re so funny you couldn’t help yourself but laugh?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.