Is it sinful to neglect ones health?

Say if you suspect you may have a illness of some sort for example Cancer would it be sinful to just ignore the signs due to depression or whatever?

What do you guys think?
If you find a lump or whatever…

I hope your question is theoretical.

The Catechism teaches:

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2288 Life and physical health are precious gifts entrusted to us by God. We must take reasonable care of them, taking into account the needs of others and the common good.

I think you’d have to consider if you would treat someone else that way. If not, then I think it would be safe to say it qualifies as a lack of self respect. But a sin? IDK, possibly a sin against God since, as the CCC says, it’s God’s life(body?) not ours.

To which I would add, depression may be a mitigating factor in terms of intention.

Actually it’s not…

Just get things checked out. A lump can be a lot of other things besides cancer. : )

Also, depression is a different issue. Please also see someone about that, or get screened for depression. Be good to yourself, and to all your loved ones that care about you (or people that have to live with you!!).

Saying a little prayer for you - - just call your family doctor today - - do it now!

Also, I think this thread might be more at home on “Catholic Living” or something.

No. We are to use the resources for health that God provided; the knowledge of people in the health sector, and the substances of this earth for medicine. Our body is on lone as a tool for God’s services to the world, and we are responsible for our health to the best that it is possible for us. If we are not responsible, the effect is to disrupt his plans.

Its in my breast so Im afraid its cancer :frowning:

Having cancer can scare the snot out of you - and I speak from personal experience. I have had two rounds of it.

My mother had breast cancer; two operations, and she lived to be 97. I have a friend who has stage 4 cancer, being treated through Kaiser, and they are beating it back.

Cancer is still very serious; but not going to a doctor is not going to make anything better; and it could be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Get going. It may be cancer; and it may be benign. Until you find out, you are just playing a variation of Russian roulette.

And pray. And do the best to get to the best doctor you can.

Dear Cactus,
I hope you are feeling less worried at this point in the day. I really really encourage you to get this checked out. There are tons of reasons why there might be a lump - - all kinds of cysts, abcesses, other minor things. Even if it were the scary word, better to catch it as soon as possible.
Do you have someone like a sister, daughter, friend, mom, someone who can listen to your worries and go with to the doc?
I hope you have someone you can vent to - - it will help! : )
Please also call the doc. I have had a similar scare - - I think lots of women have. A good medical person will take it seriously and see you in a timely fashion.
Please take care - - it’s better to get it checked, and set your mind at ease with knowing, instead of the anxiety of not knowing. Remember that God is with you and wants to to be well and at peace!
Saying a prayer for you!

“Thou shalt not kill” also applies to ourselves.

True, though as previously mentioned, depression would be a huge mitigating factor when it comes to culpability for sin. A depressed person’s brain is sending them twisted information, and sometimes one can barely get out of bed, much less plan a trip to the doctor for what might turn out to be bad news.

But since you asked, OP, I join the chorus encouraging you to get the lump checked out. If it’s not cancer, you’ll have some peace of mind, and even if it is catching it as early as possible gives the best prospects for getting rid of it. If you have periods when you are not so beset by depression, also make arrangements to get treatment for that.

But in reality, shouldnt prayer by itself be enough?

Why should we have to rely on mankind for our health when God can do anything and heal any type of ailment someone has? Countless people were healed instantly back when Jesus walked the earth, some by even barely touching his robes…if he did this sort of thing then, why not today?

May you be filled with loving kindness. May you be well. May you be peaceful and at ease. May you be happy.

That seems to me to fall under “putting God to the test.” Refusing to accept medical treatment because God could heal you without such intervention. Except that, most of the time, God heals us through the skills and gifts of medical experts.

He does do miracles today, and a lot of times medical miracles contribute to the cause of someone being canonized.

This is not “either/or” with mankind and God. It is “both/and.”

Also reminds me of the proverb about the man sinking in a flood, and the boats God sent…

And yet…we read about and given as role models people who were extreme models and who were Aestetics(spell) who divorced in tfrom their bodies. Its all over the place in the lifes of the saints.

Two examples come to mind. Saints whose lives whose lives coincided with our own. St. Pio who was given the stigmata.

And…

St. John Maximowitch. I have been the cathedral and venerated his incorput relics. He never slept or ate except for the body and blood.

When was the last time you heard about anyone being healed miraculously of a things like broken bones, amputees, serious diseases? The only things I have seen attributed to ‘miraculous healing’ are not enough to be breaking news, and most of the time, there COULD be another explanation.

If an amputee prayed and prayed and one day they woke up to find their limb had grown back, this would be no doubt, a miracle, as NO other explanation is possible, Im sure it would be breaking news everywhere.

It really seems to me, God prefers not to do very bold things like this in our world today, I assume to keep the mystery to it, after all, faith is about believing what you cannot see, not about PROOF…such an amputee healing would be proof in our times

32. While every person is obliged to use ordinary means to preserve his or her health, no person should be obliged to submit to a health care procedure that the person has judged, with a free and informed conscience, not to provide a reasonable hope of benefit without imposing excessive risks and burdens on the patient or excessive expense to family or community.
Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services
usccb.org/issues-and-action/human-life-and-dignity/health-care/upload/Ethical-Religious-Directives-Catholic-Health-Care-Services-fifth-edition-2009.pdf

‘Reasonable care’ could be defined and understood in different ways, depending on circumstances. If a person is already rather old, they have no obligation to undertake treatments that are unreasonable. On the other hand, a younger person with a family to raise may have a greater obligation to accept treatment.

Simply ignoring a lump cannot be a sin, sin a mere lump (without other symptoms) is not an illness in itself. It may just be a gland or cyst. It is also a sin to be excessively concerned over physical health, and to resist death when it arrives.

Life is a gift, but the term in our mortal bodies is not permanent, nor is it an ‘end in itself’, since ‘our real life is hidden in Christ.’ Death and life are both equally gifts from God, and should be accepted according to His will.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.