Is it sinful to not trust people?

2016 has sent me to the brink of madness. My faith in God is solid. It’s almost everyone else I don’t trust. Our Lord never said, “trust thy neighbor”.

1.This election cycle certainly hasn’t helped. We have chosen two of the most despicable and hated people in America to be our next leader. What’s worse, these candidates have developed huge cults of personality around themselves, who will defend or explain away anything, no matter how vile or depraved. What’s worse, both sides are physically attacking each other. I am convinced that the losing side will have an uprising on the morning of November 9.

I’m thoroughly convinced that every word from every government agency is a lie, including “a”, “an”, and “the”. Americans are being lectured on their gun rights by an administration that gives NATO weapons to drug cartels and terrorists (look at Iran-Contra and Operation Fast and Furious).

1. Dovetailing with #1, I just watched that movie The Big Short last night. Most Americans think Washington and Wall Street are enemies, when in reality they’re in bed together. The movie gives a layman’s explanation of the housing bubble in the late 2000’s, and how a handful of hedge fund managers saw it coming, against the big banks’ reassurances that all was dandy. The characters quickly realize that the entire Wall Street system is based on fraud and stupidity.

What happens right after? The banks get bailed out by Congress, and only one banker goes to jail. The ruling class take care of their own, regardless of party (this was during Bush’s presidency, and the beginning of Obama’s, while Reid and Pelosi ran Congress).

Bottom line: if you have money or power, I assume you’re a fiend.

1. I have studied the patterns and methods of people with antisocial personality disorder. One member of my extended family meets the criteria of a sociopath; outwardly charming, is always lying and then covering it up with more lies, lives a parasitic lifestyle, and has a perpetual victim complex. I have also been listening to anecdotes on YouTube about people who have had close encounters with would-be kidnappers, rapists, murderers, hackers, and other such sordid characters.

This leads me to believe that, for all I know, there is a Jared Fogle, a Bernie Madoff, or a John Wayne Gacy living on my street or where I work.This is not an irrational assumption; my company voluntarily hires people convicted of felonies, and I know a registered sex offender lives about a mile away.

Remember that neo-Nazi in Kansas who killed several people in a Jewish retirement home and a community center a few years ago?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overland_Park_Jewish_Community_Center_shooting

That happened just a few miles away from where I live, and one of the victims, a 14-year-old boy, was a student where I went to high school.

1. I have had several new hires where I work lie to management on a host of things (injuries, attendance, etc.) It’s made me a subscriber to Theory X in management: that people are lazy and avoid work at all costs. I’d estimate that 2 out of every 5 new employees don’t make it past 30 days, despite my company’s short working hours, welcoming environment, and full union benefits.

2. Addendum: Earlier this year, I was looking at other jobs because I needed more money. While searching on Indeed.com, I got interviews from companies with very vague descriptions of what they do. After doing some research, I discovered that many of these "marketing companies’ were actually just pyramid schemes. They’re the ones who have vendors camped out at Walmart or Costco, trying to sell you DirecTV or new siding or other such junk.

Needless to say, I turned down the interviews. I know I may have tarred my current company’s reputation earlier in this rant, but we are by and large a great and respected company.

I realize all of this makes me sound like a cynical, paranoid lunatic. I’m not exactly in a position to disagree. But is this sinful thinking, assuming that most people are potential Judas Iscariots until they prove it otherwise?

It is not automatically sinful to not trust people. In fact, we have to figure that Jesus warns us about false prophets (and, I’m sure, this extends further in Matthew 7:15). If they are inwardly “ravenous wolves,” what good reason do we have to trust them?

As for the government, don’t dabble into the conspiracy theories. You possess common sense, use it to the best of your ability. If you do not trust the government, perhaps it is neglecting your duties as an American, but that’s as far as that goes.

Life experience has taught me trust is earned, not freely given because most people will never earn the value of my trust as most people are untrustworthy and selfish. The few who do are my friends. Everyone else is an associate of some sort. I do not believe it to be sinful, but I could be wrong.

I wouldn’t say it’s sinful, but cynicism and paranoia are not the most healthy attitudes to cultivate toward others, especially if you don’t know them. For my part, I trust people until they give me a reason not to. Human beings as a whole don’t fit into one neat category of “trustworthy” or “untrustworthy,” and it’s hard to know unless you give them a chance to show you. Unless of course they’re outwardly abusive and manipulative: in that case, you have your answer.

I have an anxiety disorder so I don’t trust people at all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.