Is it sinful to participate in a Protestant event?

A friend of mine and I attended a Church of God youth group event. The kids were learning the art of debate, reciting verses and singing a few contemporary praise and worship songs. We thought it would be a good way to see how other youth groups do things and get some ideas.

Later my friend seemed unsettled that maybe we shouldn’t have participated in this. I felt like nothing was wrong with this. We stood with them and sang songs and clapped. We watched and listened to their debate and verse recitation. It was not a worship service in leui of Sunday Mass.

Our own kids, who were just spectators actually used some of their apologetics with the Church of God kids!

What do you guys think?

I honestly feel you had good intentions and there is nothing wrong with this. But when you step outside the boundaries of our church and enter the doors of a Protestant denomination, you are allowing yourself to be indoctrinated by false teaching and not even be aware of it. Because most Protestant denominations are sooooooo friendly and inviting you feel no harm can be done.

But what they say and implant into your consciousness can become harmful to your Catholic beliefs. They want to convert you to THEIR WAY of what they believe is correct. They will do this subtly and in a very friendly matter and before you know it, you are drawn into their web of religious thought. I say STAY IN OUR CHURCH and flee from false teachers. They are like wolves in sheep's clothing. There is only one true church and one true faith and that is IN the Holy Catholic church. :)

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with participating in this type of Protestant church event. Problems arise when we participate in an imitation sacrament.

[quote=Philomena]A friend of mine and I attended a Church of God youth group event. The kids were learning the art of debate, reciting verses and singing a few contemporary praise and worship songs. We thought it would be a good way to see how other youth groups do things and get some ideas.

Our own kids, who were just spectators actually used some of their apologetics with the Church of God kids!

What do you guys think?
[/quote]

Your kids accompanied you; they didn’t go by themselves. You (presumably) discussed what was going on with your kids both before and after. Your kids themselves saw the flaws in the Church of God teachings and, on their own initiative, set out to correct them.

Sounds like you’re raising well-catechised kids, exposing them to false objections, and teaching them how to defend the True Church. And you’re working to make your own youth programs more effective by exploring the tactics that are effective for others. Keep it up. :clapping:

I do think that one needs to be very well grounded in their faith in participating in Protestant events and events of other religions. One thing that is important is that you should not sing songs or join in prayers that are out of line with Catholic theology. You need to be able to discern this. It is also important to have the proper attitude toward other denominations, i.e. not an indifferentist one (not saying you do). Personally I am not sure it is wise for high school students in general to attend Protestant functions. The majority are not well enough grounded in their faith yet. You may be.

Sinful? Well it might be if you were indifferentist in your attitude toward the event or participated in things that were contrary to Catholicism such as their Lord’s Supper. Perhaps if you did not speak up if they spouted anti-Catholicism (which it doesn’t sound like they did). But in general just being there is not sinful. There are dangers one must be aware of.

Blessings

Attending a Protestant event or not depends on the event, and who is attending with you. If you are sound in the Catholic faith there is less of a chance that there would be a problem. One issue I would have, though, is Bible study at Protestant churches. Reciting verses sounds fine, but when they get around to explaining those verses are they teaching correctly? Another problem is more specific to Pentecostal and Charismatic churches. The exuberence they exhibit is exciting. It can even be breathtaking. I was a Pentecostal for years before converting to Catholicism. I attended several Churches of God. Many are attracted to those churches because they are exciting i.e. entertaining. It’s not uncommon for Pentecostals to exclaim how boring their former churches were. Rarely did I hear them say they converted because of the sound Pentecostal teaching. They were more interested in jumping up and down.

I would be less inclined to allow children to attend youth events hosted by Pentecostal churches. As a former Pentecostal I know they have their eyes on Catholics. Often sound Catholic teaching finds it hard to compete with the excitement of a Pentecostal service. Jesus’ commision to Peter was “feed my sheep,” not “entertain my sheep.” Children can find it even harder to resist.

Peace be with you!

It’s most definitely not sinful if you go in keeping your ears and eyes open for false teachings. I used to go to a youth group with some friends in high school at a non-denominational Protestant church on Tuesday nights (I went to my own on Sunday nights). I quit going because of some things that they were teaching there.

One guy got up and said that he was worried about his friend because his friend was a Jehovah’s Witness and was “going to hell”. Someone else was talking about what God wants from us as far as prayer is concerned and said “God doesn’t want you to bow down all the time like Muslims. He doesn’t want you to do stupid things like that.” That was it for me…I was going to hear about Christ’s Word, not about other religions going to hell. (Not to mention the fact that most Muslims are probably way more devout than any of those kids. No matter what, five times a day they bow down and pray to God. I fail to see any stupidity in that whatsoever.)

In Christ,
Rand

there are some good posts on this thread, I think the bottom line is be careful of protestantism, because of their wonky understanding/theology of remdemptive suffering, it can entice the soul easily into easy lull, as it appeals to our fallen nature…slowly and sutly it can turn into a break away from on the one true faith…

As there is no salvation outside of the Catholic Church…
Sadly attending a Protestant service, can slowly lead a person to the fires of eternal hell…

BEWARE OF PROTESTANISM, IT IS DEADLY AND HERETICAL

John Paul II called such celebrations and services "praiseworthy in
certain situations." (Ecclesia de Eucharistia, 30)

"In liturgical celebrations taking place in other Churches and ecclesial Communities, Catholics are encouraged to take part in the psalms, responses, hymns and common actions of the Church in which they are guests. If invited by their hosts, they may read a lesson or preach." (Pontifical Council for Fostering Christian Unity, Directory for the Application of Principles and Norms on Ecumenism, Ch.IV , par. 118, Mar 25, 1993, approved by Pope John Paul II)

See more here:
**Attending Protestant Services - **View

I accompany my partner to his church on Saturday( he is SDA) I am observer only. Last week I had a chat with the pastor and although he was nice and I enjoyed his company, I told him " I was the Catholic girl his mama warned him about" And before our chat was finished he knew “I was born Catholic and will die Catholic”
~ Kathy ~
There is no harm in going into any church. We all know where home is!

[quote=piety101]I honestly feel you had good intentions and there is nothing wrong with this. But when you step outside the boundaries of our church and enter the doors of a Protestant denomination, you are allowing yourself to be indoctrinated by false teaching and not even be aware of it. Because most Protestant denominations are sooooooo friendly and inviting you feel no harm can be done.

. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Something I often wonder about is why Catholic churches are not, in my experience, nearly as “friendly and inviting” as Protestant churches. In a time of loneliness and difficulty, I came very near to joining on of them just because of this interest and welcome. Watching JPII’s funeral, however, it occurred to me that this was home, and so I’m back. Still wonder about the chill in most Catholic churches unless one is in the right group. Sort of like middle school.

Bl. Pius IX said we were not to attend Prot. services, nor take part in hymns, etc. with them. With all due respect, the encouragement to do so is coming from the pope who kissed the Qur’an.

God works in mysterious ways. I attended an Assemblies of God (Pentecostal) youth group for years. When I started going, I had had years of Catholic school, but very little Catholic education. I didn’t know much about my faith or about the differences between Catholic teaching and the teaching at the church’s youth group. The first time I heard something I knew without doubt to be contrary to the Church’s teachings, I realized that I had to choose one or the other. This started me on my quest to learn more about my faith, and now I am knowledgeable enough to help others I know with their questions. I don’t know that this is the best way to do things, because I could easily have fallen away, but by the grace of God, that Assemblies of God youth group contributed more to my Catholic education than almost anything else.

I visited my old Protestant Church a few months ago and the sermon was on Jesus Christ being the Messiah so I liked it. I fellowshiped with my old friends and Pastor and everyone was glad to see me. Although many kept asking, “so are you coming back or just visiting.” I made it clear I was only visiting. I made sure they knew that I loved my Catholic Faith and I think they were very surprised I converted. After all I was a main member their and participated in almost everything they did. Then boom, I’m Catholic? YUP!! God bless them though.

[quote=challenger]Bl. Pius IX said we were not to attend Prot. services, nor take part in hymns, etc. with them.
[/quote]

When? What document? What context? Was it immutably decreed or was it non-immutable disciplinary norm which can either be dispensed or abrogated by the Holy See?

If you meant Pius XI, Mortalium Animos, 1928, then I disagree than you’ve presented it in it’s proper context.

[quote=Philomena]A friend of mine and I attended a Church of God youth group event. The kids were learning the art of debate, reciting verses and singing a few contemporary praise and worship songs. We thought it would be a good way to see how other youth groups do things and get some ideas.

Later my friend seemed unsettled that maybe we shouldn’t have participated in this. I felt like nothing was wrong with this. We stood with them and sang songs and clapped. We watched and listened to their debate and verse recitation. It was not a worship service in leui of Sunday Mass.

What do you guys think?
[/quote]

Since the Vatican encourages sharing of worship and resources with others than Catholics, it’s hard to see how an event which is social can be in any way objectionable.

[quote=itsjustdave1988]When? What document? What context? Was it immutably decreed or was it non-immutable disciplinary norm which can either be dispensed or abrogated by the Holy See?

If you meant Pius XI, Mortalium Animos, 1928, then I disagree than you’ve presented it in it’s proper context.
[/quote]

My friend has also quoted Bl. Pius IX, so I would be interested in Challenger’s response to Dave’s question.

[quote=challenger]Bl. Pius IX said we were not to attend Prot. services, nor take part in hymns, etc. with them. With all due respect, the encouragement to do so is coming from the pope who kissed the Qur’an.
[/quote]

Couldnt agree with you more brother…JP11 whilst he did good, he probably embraced more heresy then any other pope…Why a lot of Catholics put him on such a pedestal as always amazed me. Can you imagine St.Paul kissing the Koran or telling other religions to pray to their pagan Gods as JP11 did!!! And this is the same person who implicitly endorses going to protestant services and that says it all.

BEWARE OF PROTESTANISM, IT CAN CORRUPT YOUR SOUL!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.