Is it sinful to read Non-Christian religious texts for research purposes?

I would like to learn more about Islam so I can better understand Muslims, and I feel that getting information directly from the source would be a good place to start.

If I read The Quran (or The Torah, or The Vedas, or The Book of Mormons) for purely scholarly/educational purposes, am I committing a sin against Christ?

No sin

Apologists do it all the time. I had to for school. You’re fine. But if any doubts arise, return to some solid Catholic orthodoxy :slight_smile:

Not at all.

Is this a serious question?

Oh, I do that all the time. I think it’s perfectly fine - as Catholics we really shouldn’t feel as though any books are forbidden to us.

In my view, at least.:shrug:

If it is, then Thomas Aquinas has a lot to answer for.

Try the book called The Bible and the Quran by Father Jacques Jomier, O.P.

What have you got against Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy (those are the books of the Law, ie Torah) then? :slight_smile:

You might even dare to look at the Tanakh (‘Old Testament’ in Christian-speak) :wink:

:thumbsup:

How did you get from the OP question to yours? :shrug:

I have read the Book of Mormon, the Koran, and mein kampf.
The point is though that you have to know your own faith well first and foremost. I think it would be a bad idea to read those if you had never read the Bible.
From your paying history perhaps a good Catholic book on those subjects would be more benificial to you.

I read the Book of Mormon when I was very young (remember reading it in a doctor’s office as a kid, and we had copies at the house). Apparently, I’ve been to a Mormon meetinghouse. I asked my mother, and she affirmed that I have been. I was thinking I had been because I remember it being very plain. Anyway, I don’t think it would be sinful to read any of those. I have copies of the Qu’ran. I would like to get copies of the Book of Mormon (without, you know, paying), but that would require Mormons to find out where I live. I’d rather not have that, especially since I live in a rural area and like the quiet.

Probably because the OP asked, in pertinent part, “If I read . . . The Torah . . . am I committing a sin against Christ?”

Originally Posted by Kaninchen View Post
What have you got against Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy (those are the books of the Law, ie Torah) then?
You might even dare to look at the Tanakh (‘Old Testament’ in Christian-speak)

The poster assumed he had something against the OT.
Not sure how he arrives at that assumption.

She arrived at that assumption because she read the OP:

If I read The Quran (or The Torah, or The Vedas, or The Book of Mormons) for purely scholarly/educational purposes, am I committing a sin against Christ?

Where the OP is asking whether reading the Torah would be committing a sin against Christ. Since the Torah consists of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy, the OP was actually asking whether reading Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy might be a sin against Christ.

You might note the wink icon after the reference to the OT.

Not only is it not sinful, I think it should be encouraged for anyone with a well formed faith. Too many people know too little about too much, especially when it comes to other religions. Not knowing what other people believe leads to irrational beliefs about them.

closed #18

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.