Is it sinful to support a Komen chapter that does not have any grants with Planned Parenthood

I work for a fire department and as such I am a member of the firefighters union (IAFF). Every October we raise funds for breast cancer research by wearing and selling pink T Shirts. These funds are donated to the Los Angeles Chapter of Komen. Two years ago amid concerns by a Catholic Co worker, it was pointed out that the LA Chapter does not give money to planned parenthood. I asked the guy in charge for our local union to check again this year and he did (he is Evangelical). The following statement was given to us by Komen in LA and we both have concerns.

So my question is not so much is Komen the best to give to (they are not) but is it mortal sin to donate to them or solicit donations for them, since we may not have a choice of a different charity with our union and how they participate.

"I got your voicemail and I wanted to pass along the following information regarding our continued partnership with Planned Parenthood for you to share and if you or anyone has any additional questions I’ll be happy to explain in greater detail.

Cecile Richards, president of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America (Nov. 2012):

In recent weeks, the treasured relationship between the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation and Planned Parenthood has been challenged, and we are now heartened that we can continue to work in partnership toward our shared commitment to breast health for the most underserved women. We are enormously grateful that the Komen Foundation has clarified its grantmaking criteria, and we look forward to continuing our partnership with Komen partners, leaders and volunteers. What these past few days have demonstrated is the deep resolve all Americans share in the fight against cancer, and we honor those who are at the helm of this battle.

Planned Parenthood has been a trusted partner with the Komen Foundation in early cancer detection and prevention services. In particular, Planned Parenthood helps the Komen Foundation reach vulnerable populations — low-income women, African-American women, and Latinas — especially in rural areas and underserved communities where Planned Parenthood health centers are their only source of health care. With Komen Foundation grants, over the past five years, Planned Parenthood health centers provided nearly 170,000 clinical breast exams and more than 6,400 mammogram referrals. With the outpouring of support over the past week, even more women in need will receive lifesaving breast cancer care.

First and foremost I want to confirm with you that the issue is 100% resolved. In less than 5 days after the occurrence, Komen leadership overturned the decision; the partnership between Komen and Planned Parenthood was restored and bolstered. In fact, in our 2012-2013 grant slate Komen Affiliates (local chapters) funded 16 Planned Parenthood grants, providing crucial financial support to their organization.

Susan G. Komen for the Cure’s mission is the same today as it was the day of its founding in 1982: to find cures and eradicate breast cancer forever. Our mission is too important to be overshadowed by this controversy and our commitment to women’s breast health is unwavering.

The LA County Affiliate was in no way involved with the issue. Planned Parenthood has not applied for a grant from our Los Angeles County Affiliate in nearly 6 years so the decision had zero impact on our grant giving process and the way we serve the breast health needs of our community.

We are not a political organization- our only adversary is breast cancer and lack of access to screening, diagnosis, treatment and psychosocial support for the uninsured and underinsured residents of LA County. To tackle these issues, we have raised close to $10 million in LA County to provide community-based grants to local organizations serving the breast health needs of our constituents.

In many ways, Komen LA County operates as a community-based charity. Specifically, 75 percent of our net income stays here in LA County through our grants to local health organizations. The remaining 25 percent supports Susan G. Komen’s national grants program which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research and education initiatives around the world. Our national research program has contributed to nearly every major breakthrough in breast cancer prevention, detection and treatment in the last 20 years."

In many ways, Komen LA County operates as a community-based charity. Specifically, 75 percent of our net income stays here in LA County through our grants to local health organizations. The remaining 25 percent supports Susan G. Komen’s national grants program which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research and education initiatives around the world. Our national research program has contributed to nearly every major breakthrough in breast cancer prevention, detection and treatment in the last 20 years."

The national grant program is what caused the controversy, that is why the the “national” president was forced to resign. If its Komen or nothing I’ve vote for nothing and give individually.

It is very clear from the text that was provided from the L.A. Komen Chapter is in not way affiliated with Planned Parenthood. The question that needs to be asked though is if any money that the L.A. Komen chapter raises is given to the Koman Organization. If the L.A. Komen chapter in turn gives the Komen Organization any money than it would be wrong to support the L.A. Komen chapter. :signofcross:

there are better organizations than Komen to give for breast cancer research that aren’t affiliated with Planned Parenthood. I do believe that Komen might deny the aborton-breast cancer link (and probably the link of birth control pill - breast cancer). Are there any alternative local organizations you can raise funds for that don’t have any controversial connections?

I would not particpate in the event. 25% of the fundraising goes to the national Komen chapter, so part of the money is given to Planned Parenthood. Also, if Komen isn’t willing to acknowledge the fact truth about the birth control pills that Planned Parenthood gives out being a major cause of breast cancer, they aren’t doing a good job at their mission. Can you suggest a different charity? What about St. Baldricks or something? Surely you don’t have to participate in a charity because the union does?

“ground breaking research” = embryonic stem cell research

Komen refuses to reject embryonic stem cell research.

It is not necessarily a sin to give money to someone who gives money to someone who might perform abortions with it. That is remote cooperation in evil.

But it does cancel out any good your act of charity could generate.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.