Is it the right time?

Hello everyone. Everyone that’s been reading my posts knows that I have taken action by contacting my priest about my calling. I woke up this morning with such an immense feeling of grace, love hope, and peace. I feel like I need to tell my parents soon. Is it true that this could be a sign from God that he thinks now is a good time to tell my parents? Thanks.

It could be. You’ll know when the time is right. God will be with you through the whole process. If you feel like this is the time, then go for it! You never know if you may feel nervous about it the next day, so strike when the iron’s hot!

You may want to wait until after you speak with your Priest. I’m not trying to dissuade you. I mean, if you feel ready, then go for it! Just remember that they may not take it well, at first, and that you might want to have some backup, both spiritually and emotionally. :slight_smile:

Much Love!

It is certainly time to open up to your parents and discuss the fact that you feel called to serve god within the ministry of the church. A friend of mine felt called to the priesthood, it took him about eight years from the time he entered the seminary, to the time he took his priestly vows. In that time he not only discussed his calling with his parents, his priest and spiritual advisers, he also examined it with friends whose spirituality he trusted, though none of us was contemplating any form of holy orders.

A commitment to god, in a public ministry is a wonderful gift. As a lay person, I have seen and experienced, the joy a deeply religious priest can bring to a congregation. Unfortunately, I’ve also seen the destruction a lukewarm priestly faith can bring to those entrusted to his care. Though, we as Catholics should not allow our faith to rest on the actions of individual men, I’ve known people turn away from the church because of the actions and sometimes lack of compassion shown by their priest.

What I’m trying to say is that yours is a wonderful first step but the road to priesthood needs to be carefully and prayerfully navigated. A reluctance to discuss your decision with your parents may be indicative that you are at the very beginning of this journey. A priest needs not just faith, he also needs plenty of courage.

When James and John asked Jesus if they could be his second in command his reply was, "But Jesus said to them, “You don’t know what you are asking! Are you able to drink from the bitter cup of suffering I am about to drink? Are you able to be baptized with the baptism of suffering I must be baptized with?”
Mark 10:38

I say these thinks not to discourage you, but hopefully to help you understand that you are being called to a difficult path. You will need lots of help, support and prayers and great courage, hopefully some of this can come from the two people who probably love you most, your parents. All the best.

Go ahead and talk to them! Keep us posted on how it goes; we will most certainly be praying for you! :gopray:

Praying for you from today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

Psalm-prayer

Bless your people, Lord. You have given us the law that we may walk from strength to strength and raise our minds to you from this valley of tears. May we receive the gifts you have gained for us.

Ant. Blessed are they who dwell in your house, O Lord.

Ant. 2 Come, let us climb the mountain of the Lord.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.