Is it time for Vatican Council III?

I’m beginning to wonder if now or perhaps a year from now is not the right time for Vatican Council III?

Yes, Vatican Council II wasn’t too long ago and the Church is anything but stable in this day and age, but I have a growing confidence in our new pope.

I think Pope Benedict XVI might actually be the conduit for the Holy Spirit to guide the Church through another council as a means to drive home true reforms once and for all. I didn’t sense this in our last pope – Pope John Paul II who seemed to drop the ball when it came to implementation and/or discipline.

Why not address the problems and their solutions once and for all within the context of a ecumenical council?

Not without the Orthodox. Why not hold it in Constantinople as long as the Wahhabists promise not to kill all of our bishops?

Dan L

By all means. In fact, I think the Holy Father should just kill 8 stones with one bird and call Vatican Councils III thru X, inclusive. Let’s get 'em all outta the way at once!

Why, by the time we’re done, judging by the stunning and heaven-sent renewal of our Church engendered by Vatican II, we just might all be cowering in the catacombs whispering our Masses (sorry Kirk). But at least we’ll have finally come full circle and will truly be celebrating Mass “just like the early Church.”

Hurray, progress! :clapping:

Not time yet. Vatican II must be fully implemented before Vatican III. The only reason I can think of to hold any type of council right now is for an ongoing heresey.

PF

[quote=WanderAimlessly]Not time yet. Vatican II must be fully implemented before Vatican III. The only reason I can think of to hold any type of council right now is for an ongoing heresey.

PF
[/quote]

I would think one of the first things on Pope Benedict XVI’s punch-list for Vatican Council III would be to fully implement the letter of V2C…

[quote=Dr. Bombay]By all means. In fact, I think the Holy Father should just kill 8 stones with one bird and call Vatican Councils III thru X, inclusive. Let’s get 'em all outta the way at once!

Why, by the time we’re done, judging by the stunning and heaven-sent renewal of our Church engendered by Vatican II, we just might all be cowering in the catacombs whispering our Masses (sorry Kirk). But at least we’ll have finally come full circle and will truly be celebrating Mass “just like the early Church.”

Hurray, progress! :clapping:
[/quote]

Does that mean we can have altar railing and lace albs again?

[quote=AltarMan]Does that mean we can have altar railing and lace albs again?
[/quote]

You’ll have to pay to excavate the landfills around every American city where most of said railings and albs ended up.

Next thing you’ll be advocating a return to birettas, you wild eyed Traditionalist you. :tsktsk:

Was there a Vatican Zero, or did I miss something here?

[quote=AltarMan]I would think one of the first things on Pope Benedict XVI’s punch-list for Vatican Council III would be to fully implement the letter of V2C…
[/quote]

To fully implement Vatican II another council is not needed. Maybe some synods, but it is mainly now a matter of discipline.

PF

Kinda sucks to be hearing Catholics put down Catholics. I was just at the communion rail tonight, along with a lot of other Catholics.

I always appreciate sarcasm, but I’m growing weary of the Catholic vs Catholic commentary around here. Let’s try to remember we’re all on the same team.

V3, huh? My surroundings are filled with people that are about 60% V1, and 40% V2. Next thing you know, we’ll have “Catholic v 2.2 for Windows.” Stained glass, of course.

[quote=MamaSusie]Kinda sucks to be hearing Catholics put down Catholics. I was just at the communion rail tonight, along with a lot of other Catholics.

I always appreciate sarcasm, but I’m growing weary of the Catholic vs Catholic commentary around here. Let’s try to remember we’re all on the same team.

V3, huh? My surroundings are filled with people that are about 60% V1, and 40% V2. Next thing you know, we’ll have “Catholic v 2.2 for Windows.” Stained glass, of course.
[/quote]

What, no Macintosh version? :smiley:

Ok, no one responded so I’ll stubbornly and perhaps naivly say it again. VCII has been so poorly implemented that another one like it will nearly destroy the Church. What needs to be implemented is a serious look at reunification. How can that happen unless both parties are present?

The so called implementation in American Roman Catholicism had more to do with wrecking things than implementing what was actually decided at the Council. I firmly believe that VCII was a good Council but sadly there has been little discipline in the American Church since then. What will it take to reintroduce the Gregorian Chant in the RC liturgy? What will it take to remove the homosexualists from the priesthood? What will it take to build temples once again that really look like temples instead of large prison cells? What will it take for Eastern Catholics to really reclaim their patrimony? I don’t know. But these were all decisions of VCII. It isn’t the Councils fault that so many Churches have done just the opposite of what the Council decided.

Again, the only reason for another Council in the next millenium is to reunify the Church East and West.

Dan L

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.