Is it true that the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) is worth about 100 exorcisms?

I’ve heard this statement crop up now and again, and I was hoping someone “in the know” could elaborate on what is meant by this and whether it’s even true.

I’ve never heard that, and in fact i’ve heard quite the opposite, that confession cannot exorcise you, that you must seek the help of a priest who can preform exorcisms…unfortunately right now not all priests can, they all use to be able to at one point, but if you can’t find a priest that can, just go straight to your bishop(which is not always easy either…but he’s not aloud to refuse you)

although if you’re just asking out of curiosity then never mind, but that’s what i’ve heard.

It comes from this quote:

“One confession is worth 100 exorcisms. The devil wants to destroy the soul, and the soul is healed by confession.” -Msgr. John Esseff

I don’t think its meant to be taken literally, it just means that being in the state of grace is of more value than bring free from possession.

ah, well then that makes sense now d:

What a legalistic way of viewing the spiritual life… it’s like video-game power-ups accruing over time! :eek: :frowning:

What total nonsense its 1000 exorcisms not 100.

XD

A confession a day keeps the devil away :thumbsup:

It seems like that quote is saying “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Makes sense…tho the numbers or values are arbitrary.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

The statement is so absurd that makes me laugh. Who started that crazy idea?

Cheers,:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.