Is it true the church changed the Sabbath?

Is it true that the church changed the Sabbath day? Why did they do it? In the New Testament Jesus went to the Synagogue because it was “his custom” (Luke 4:16). Doesn’t that mean the Sabbath wasn’t supposed to be changed? Also, did they have a right to Change it?

The Church didn’t change the Sabbath – it is still Saturday. But we are no longer obligated to observe the Sabbath in the manner of the Mosaic Law. Instead, we observe the Lord’s Day: Sunday.

Check out the Catholic Answers tract on this topic at:
https://www.catholic.com/tract/sabbath-or-sunday

Or you can listen to an answer from the radio show at 13:23 of this link:
https://www.catholic.com/audio/cal/7968

The tract surritter posted is great. Christians from Apostolic times have gathered on Sunday to celebrate Christ’s resurrection and the “breaking of the bread” (the Eucharist). Sunday is seen as both the first day of the week and the eighth day, where the eighth day represents a new creation and regeneration. The change is apostolic in origin.

But celebrating the Lord’s Day is not the same thing as keeping the Sabbath. Of course the distinction is ancient (although the Apostles kept both the Lord’s Day as well as Shabbat - they were Jews) but they kept both days to distinguish themselves as followers of Jesus.

Do you think keeping the Sabbath is part of the Mosaic Law that Christians no longer follow? It’s pretty high up there in the Ten Commandments. So perhaps we should call them the NINE Commandments then.

The Jewish followers of The Way originally continued the custom of attending synagogue,
Afterward they met in homes for the Breaking of the Bread. However they were kicked out of the synagogue because of their acceptance of Jesus Christ as the Messiah.
The Church continued to meet on the Lord’s Day, the Day of Resurrection.

My understanding is that the Catholic Church never changed the Sabbath day. The Sabbath day is the forerunner to Sunday when Christ rose from the dead. Had not Christ rose from the dead our faith would be in vain which is why the Apostles on the first day of the week worshiped the risen Lord.

The Old Law became irrelevant and was completely erased by Jesus. Now, that doesn’t mean that everything was replaced verbatim…as in the 2 commandments of Jesus replacing the 10, but rather affirmed parts of the old law and brought about a new one.

Jesus’ sacrifice replaced the need for bloody sacrifices. We celebrate the Eucharist weekly, on the day He rose, on His command. Jesus did not command that we keep holy the Sabbath day…but reaffirmed we keep holy HIS day.

Jesus got Sunday.

It also seems to me that the new Covenant what is generally called the New Testament replaces the old Covenant what is called the Old Testament

This will help http://steliasmelkite.org/userfiles/pdf/1479251102.mp3

The Sabbath is still the Sabbath. In Israel, Friday at sundown to Saturday at sundown = the Sabbath. The last day of the week. In the holy land, you can’t even press a button for a floor in an elevator… at least that was the way it was in 95 when I was there. The elevator would stop on every floor automatically.

Sunday is the 1st day of the week. The first mass took place on resurrection day.

Lk 24:
28 So they drew near to the village to which they were going. He appeared to be going further, 29 but they constrained him, saying, “Stay with us, for it is toward evening and the day is now far spent.” So he went in to stay with them. 30 When he was at table with them, he took the bread and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to them. 31 And their eyes were opened and they recognized him; and he vanished out of their sight. 32 They said to each other, “Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the scriptures?” 33 And they rose that same hour and returned to Jerusalem; and they found the eleven gathered together and those who were with them, 34 who said, “The Lord has risen indeed, and has appeared to Simon!” 35 Then they told what had happened on the road, and how he was known to them in the breaking of the bread."

That said,

While the following scripture, doesn’t say
mass
Eucharist
Sunday

We can clearly see what they are celebrating, on the “Day” and the consequences if one deliberately misses mass on Sunday, After receiving knowledge of the truth

Heb 10:
22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful; 24 and let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

26 For if we sin deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a fearful prospect of judgment, and a fury of fire which will consume the adversaries. 28 A man who has violated the law of Moses dies without mercy at the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 How much worse punishment do you think will be deserved by the man who has spurned the Son of God, and profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and outraged the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

They are celebrating the Eucharist on Sunday. To deliberately miss mass, on Sunday then, draws those consequences mentioned after one becomes knowledgeable of the truth

In the prayers of the Church it is still day begins sunset to sun raise just as it is for the Jewish people.

did you mean
Sunset to sunset

Hi Steve b Sorry about that mis typo on my part yes you are correct sundown to sundown. I did not know that for many tears but many years ago a priest told this was how it is and praying the LOTH works the same way at for us Discalced Carmelite Seculars.

I don’t know about the specific times for praying the Liturgy of the Hours, but the Lord’s Day is not sunset to sunset, but sunset to midnight of the following day. This is why we can have Sunday Mass at 5pm on Saturday or 10pm Sunday. (I wish we had more of those late-evening Masses on Sunday!)

surritter I was told by my priest that the Church prayers that is TLOH’s starts at sunset. I also see it that way when I pray TLOH’s everyday… I have never been to a Mass at 10 PM although I have been to Midnight Mass at Christmas. I also have been to antisipated Mass on Saturday evening at 5 PM. All I know is what my priest told me.

generally speaking I sy morning prayers, then mid morning, noon, late afternoon, evening and night prayers. some will say prayers at midnight but not required by most only some Monks do

Seventh Day Adventist’s honor the Sabbath day.

Does it really matter ?

What difference does it make to God if we worship on Sunday, or any other day of the week , not much if Bishops have the right to move Holy days of obligation to a Sunday so that those who are under " work schedules " ( which technically employers can’t prevent you from attending any religious service ) can attend.

An then facing which way to pray, or only the priest can say a certain prayer that the congregation cant hear, or lift your hands at this point, but dont do this or that, an then you have priests who could careless if you dress like you are going to a night club or for the beach as long as you are in the pews.

It is just convoluted arguing that serves no real purpose other than to create more convoluted rules to try and justify something that in all likelyhood God really doesn’t care that much about or He would have made it so plainly obvious that no one can argue about what to do.

Oh, it is not.

[Line eater fodder]

Although Seventh Day Adventist honor the Sabbath, we Catholics honor it more by recognizing that it prefigured something greater and beyond itself.
See

http://www.defendingthebride.com/mc/sa/sab1.html#type

John

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.