Is it truly possible to respect a religion you don't believe in?

…or are we just trying to be PC? I hear and see statements all the time lately…"I respect your faith, but…’

Why the but? Is it possible to respect a faith that we don’t believe in? My take is that I can respect a person of any faith–as we are taught to love everyone…like Christ. I can also respect that someone is different from me…I’m different from him/her. But, can we truly respect another’s faith that we don’t believe?

Just curious on your thoughts on that?:slight_smile:

I agree, they’re feeling pressure to be PC. Even the Pope seems to have to do that these days, otherwise there are riots and torture of Christians in Muslim lands.

You made a good point. We can respect the person but not their belief system. That doesnt mean though that we should be beligerent toward them because of what they belief.:thumbsup: It just means that, if you choose, you state what you believe and then pray and let God do the rest. Be there if they have any further questions.:smiley:

The problem arises when you start telling that other person that they are wrong and you are right. That will get you absolutely nowhere:( Even if you know or fully believe that you are right it serves no purpose to say so. It just causes anger/pride etc.

Just look at what happens here;) :frowning:

Respecting a religion is different from agreeing with all its belief.

I do respect Buddhism especially those Buddhist monks who get up very early in the morning praying. :slight_smile:

Ah good point. I respect the jews who still follow all 613 laws. That is dedication:D

If a Jew follows and practices the laws - he is far more better than any of us - “Christian by name”.

Another question … is there any religion without love?

If a belief or a practice is not sinful, shouldn’t we respect it? If a Jewish person avoids pork out of his obedience to God, isn’t that a good thing? If a Buddhist prays for peace to his…whatever he prays to, shouldn’t he be encouraged to do so? All good things come from God, even when we don’t realize it? Good and wholesome practices should be respected and encouraged. Evangelism begins with a relationship that is mutually open and affectionate.

Worshipping false deities cannot be reconciled with the faith, and must and should be challenged.

Protestants who believe in the Trinity and in Salvation through Jesus and His death and resurrection should be highly respected. Anything that is not sinful (for instance, calumny,as in bashing Mother Teresa, or demonizing the Sign of the Cross)
should be acceptable.

Is it sinful to dislike Mother Teresa? :confused:

Technically, LaVeyan Satanism, I guess, kinda. If you can call it a religion; it’s really Objectivist atheism.

As to the topic, I posted something on this subject just a little bit ago:

[quote=me]I think you’re all wrong, but I can still recognize that in a very deeply personal, individual sense something fits for each of you theists, and respect that. Can’t you do the same for each other?
[/quote]

Yes, I think so.

If the tenets of the faith are benevolent and worthy of respect.

I would call LaVeyan Satanism (at least as I understand it) love of self above all others taken to the furthest extreme.

There is a difference between agreeing with and considering binding upon you the tenets of another religion and being willing to behave respectfully (ie civilly) toward the practitioners of that religion.

I was considerably entertained once when William F. Buckley had Phil Donahue on his show. They were arguing about something. Buckley was verbally beating the tar out of Donahue. There was just no contest. Then Donahue protested in agitated frustration: “But you have to respect my opinion!!”

Buckley calmly replied “No I don’t. I have to respect your RIGHT to have an opinion, but I don’t have to respect your opinion. There’s a difference.” Donahue was uncharacteristically struck silent by that. I think it was the first time that had ever occurred to him, and I’m not sure he understood it even then.

Others might not think Buckley’s response applies adequately to this particularly inquiry, but, to me, it does.

Most religions start out with a kernel of truth, because God has instilled these kernels of truth and the search for truth’s fulfillment in all people. When we come across a religion that has these kernels of real truth, I think it can be respected for holding on to that which it was given; but we as Christians cannot proclaim it as containing the whole package of truth, as does Christianity in general, and as does the Catholic Church in particular.:signofcross:

To say you respect someone’s religion does not mean you buy into it lock, stock and barrel.:wink:

I think we are speaking of mutual respect. The respect one should give every person because we are all God’s children.

Starting a conversation by telling another of God’s children that he or she should be more like you doesn’t work very well.

Maybe a better way to start the conversation is to say something like "I really respect the parts of your religion that are exactly like mine. . . . . .

Yes :slight_smile: - though not all religions deserve respect. Respecting something does not necessarily imply liking it, or agreeing with it, let alone believing it.

Why should respecting what we don’t believe be difficult ? :confused:

It’s absoutly possible. I respect Protestants, but don’t share their same exact faith. To respect people’s religion you don’t have to agree with it.

This forum is a place for religious debates. So ofcourse it is going to say Muslim is wrong etc. because it is a Catholic forum. This is still respect, though, because since this place is Catholic a Muslim view would be considered wrong. But whoever held the Muslim view should still be respected and we shouldn’t treat their thoughts like trash.

The pope, for example, disrespected many people’s religions by proclaiming to the world that Catholic faith is the one, true way. That is not respect or treating people like Christ at all.

Re: Is it truly possible to respect a religion you don’t believe in?
**- **Maybe this is one way that God is testing us?

One thing about a Mailman, is that they are faithful in Rain, Sleet and Snow. I wished I could be like that, being inactive from the Mormon faith.

How come God has let the churches all split, and how come the churches always have to determine what to preach in their churches via a council? Is there not a GOD to steer his church via a Prophet of God, that can steer his church on the narrow path to rightousness, in times of chaos, like now? Without a Prophet, things seem to be too loose, and mankind has to interprate how their churches need to fit into the world today, or how it needs to fit with the teachings of the Bible.

With a Prophet, a church can be guided if it is off track spiritually, and also people would know it was the true church. The problem is that we are in a quandry, or between a rock and a hard place. What is needed is to learn unconditional love, and not knock anybody down for their religion, especially if they are trying hard to be godlike in their faith.

Geoff

It is very intentional that we do NOT know which is the true church, because if we all knew, then we would all flock to that church, and that would fail GOD’s point in testing our faith and level of spirituallity, so the knowledge of which church is it, must be hard to come by to test our faith.

hi blacktiger–actually…the question is…can you respect a religion if you don’t follow it? Not the people following that faith–but the actual faith. Like, can you respect a religion that lacks Christ? Can we respect a religion that doesn’t show Christ as the Messiah? This is more along the lines of where I was heading with my question. Now…what say you?:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.