Is it wrong for a Catholic to portray Santa Claus?

I have been playing Santa (semi professionally) for 10 years.
It has just occurred to me that this may be morally wrong. A friend commented that I was essentially promoting a myth and children should not be exposed to such silliness… :confused:

:shrug:

No, it is not intrinsically evil. I don’t really know if we can call it good, but it isn’t evil.

You can continue to do it with a clean conscience.

What put such a ridiculous idea into your head? Have you been talking to some Fundamentalist Christians who are opposed to celebrtating Christmas?
In all of my 77 years I have never even heard a hint that Catholics could not portray
Santa Claus!
As for it being wrong to perpetuate a myth for children, only Scrooge (of Charles Dickens fame) would think that. If such a thing were wrong, then childrens fairy tales and the childrens stories of the Brothers Grimm should be outlawed.
My answer to both questions is a rousing BAH HUMBUG!!!

No. Santa is not evil. Playing Santa is not evil. As said earlier, this is an idea from certain Fundamentalist sects that have crossed over to Catholics. Many also refuse to acknowledge Christmas, Christmas trees, presents or anything else that might have pagan roots. The Catholic Church was born surrounded by paganism and incorporated many symbols as a means of evangelism, sort of like the Kneeling Santa. There is nothing evil in this.

Isn’t Santa Catholic??? :slight_smile: :smiley:

Personally, I think it’s time for new friends

http://www.newseum.org/yesvirginia/images/clipping.jpg

He might’ve been talking to some Jehovah’s Witnesses. I’m just saying.

:thumbsup::smiley:

or he/she could be somewhat scrupulous like me, I think i’ve even heard of a Priest saying that saying that Baby Jesus was the one who brought the presents (here in Mexico is that way, or the Wise Men on the 6th) was lying. and sometimes i have that idea, altough saying that Baby Jesus is the one who brought them i dont see as lying since God is the one who provides.

There’s certainly nothing wrong with playing Santa. There are several groups that object to him, but that doesn’t mean there’s anything sinful about the tradition. :slight_smile:

That said, I don’t think there’s any need to be overly harsh towards people who don’t personally wish to teach their children that Santa is real. Some people just don’t like the idea of giving children inaccurate information. As long as they don’t try to ruin it for other people’s children, I think skipping the whole Santa thing is a perfectly valid parenting decision. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.