Is it wrong for a lay person to have a 1st class relic?

Is a lay person allowed to have a 1st class relic? If it is allowable, how does he or she acquire it?

No.

However, if they have one, they should keep it in a safe place treating it with the proper respect due to the saint.

I have a second class relic of John Paul II (a bit of one of his white cassicks) which I got by writing the postulator of his cause for sainthood.

What if a person has already been canonized? How would one acquire a relic?

I have three first class relics, one of Saint Therese of Lisieux and the bones from her parents.
seelos.org/relics_info.html

How did you receive it?

I would also like to know how someone obtains a first class relic. I would personally like to have one myself.

I don’t wish to derail the thread, but what’s the significance of keeping 1st class relics? Relics aren’t magic or lucky charms. This seems more superstitious than anything.

If I ever had a relic, it would be treated possibly in the same way that I received an autograph or souvenir from a celebrity. But I wouldn’t be bothered too much if I lost it. It’s only just an item (unless there’s something I’m missing)?

I think that you missing something, but I can’t quite put my finger on it :shrug:

I think that God has established the efficacy of venerating relics. Many miracles are associated with the practice.

Probably should be another thread. :o

I have a friend who is from Turkey. He has a sliver from the Cross. It has been handed down to him On Good Friday, he brings it to Church and it is placed on the cross for veneration. It unites us to Christ’s suffering, even more so. I believe that he keeps it locked up during the rest of the year

Can. 1190 §1 It is absolutely wrong to sell sacred relics.

§2 Distinguished relics, and others which are held in great veneration by the people, may not validly be in any way alienated nor transferred on a permanent basis, without the permission of the Apostolic See.

Distinguished Relics are not the normal 1st class relics that a parish or person might have. They are relics that are historically linked to a site.

For example, the Bishop of Turin could not give away (permanently) the Shroud to the Bishop of Milan without Papal approval.

But a first class relic of St. Maximillan Kolbe (for example) could be transferred from parish to parish, or from person to person, for any just reason.

The relic itself cannot be sold, but the owner of a reliquary can recieve compensation for the material and historical value of the reliquary.

This will help

catholic.com/library/Relics.asp

When we honor a relic we are honoring a piece of a bone of a person that was fully sanctified at the time of their death. The saints are models for us as to what the grace of God can do.

God performed miraculous cures through Peter’s shadow (Acts 5:15-16) and through the use of handkerchiefs that had touched St. Paul. (Acts 19:11-12). These items have no power to cause the miracles, but through the intercession of the saints and the grace of God, He performs the miracles in order to show the intercessory power of our Blessed Mother and the saints.

This part I don’t agree with even though I know it happens. Nobody is fooled by such a transaction. Money passing hands for a relic in a reliquary is a sale no matter how people try to dress it up. Its like some orders will give you a relic on condition you give a donation. All of these things are sales.
If money changes hands it is a sale. Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive.

Hi,

Does anyone know how to go and obtain a relic of the True Cross? I don’t want to buy one on ebay, but I have been googling for quite some time.

I know that there has got to be a process of getting them. Does one have to contact the Vatican, and if so what department would one contact?

Thanks.

God Bless.

Relics are not for sale. It is forbidden by Canon Law.

Can. 1190 §1 It is absolutely wrong to sell sacred relics.

As for obtaining a relic of the True Cross, the Church has not authenticated any such relics.

“Neither has the Church ever pronounced that any particular relic, not even that commonly venerated as the wood of the Cross, is authentic; but she approves of honor being paid to those relics which with reasonable probability are believed to be genuine, and which are invested with due ecclesiastical sanctions.”

The above is an extract from the Catholic Encyclopedia on the Church doctrine regarding relics.

oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Relics

get a life

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.