Is it wrong for me to Baptise another persons child in this case?

My friend had her kid about 7 months ago and since the first month after his birth I have been telling her about baptizing her little boy and how important this sacrament is for her son. She is not a practicing Catholic/Christian and really doesn’t view the child’s baptism as a top priority. She asked me what needed to be done and I told her about going to the Church and having the sacrament done by a priest, and having family present. While that really appealed to her (the social event part) she has yet gone through with the baptism or even bothered finding a Church and priest. I told her that I could do it but like I said the whole social event part appealed to her and she said she wanted everyone to be there and etc etc. With the way she is seeing it the child will never be baptized, so I wanted to know if I could baptize the child myself.

Would that be ok to do? She already came to me and told me she wanted me to be the Godfather for when her son is baptized. I know that baptism is the best thing for the child but I don’t know if it’s the best thing for me to do.

No, to do so would be highly illicit.

The ordinary ministers of Baptism are the bishop and priest and, in the Latin Church, also the deacon.*** In case of necessity***, anyone, even a non-baptized person, with the required intention, can baptize, by using the Trinitarian baptismal formula. The intention required is to will to do what the Church does when she baptizes. The Church finds the reason for this possibility in the universal saving will of God and the necessity of Baptism for salvation. (CCC 1256)

This is not a case of necessity as the child’s life is not in danger and a licit Baptism performed by a clergyman is readily available.

It would be extremely wrong for you to do.

youtube.com/watch?v=h-ffr2Xl9DY

Thank you both for the replies, and I can see now where it would be wrong. Its the parents duty and I should pray to God to get this resolved.

Thank you for the link…God Bless Archie Bunker

I love All in the Family :D:thumbsup:

okay, to make a Baptism valid, you only need 3 things:

a. matter: you must use clean, clear water either by pouring on the head, or by immersion
b. form: use the Trinitarian Formula
c. intent: you intend to do what the Church does

now, the ordinary ministers of Baptism are the priest or deacon. in cases of necessity, any person, even a non-Christian, can baptize. in your situation, the child is not in danger of death. however, if you give it the proper baptism, it will be valid, but highly illicit

i would suggest that you not proceed with it. first, even if the child does get baptized, he will probably not be raised as a Catholic. the parents should have the initiative to not only have the child baptized by also desire to raise him Catholic. this will ensure that the saving graces the child receives at baptism will be kept throughout his life with good practice of the faith, and that he will go on to receive the other Sacraments

I baptized my sister’s first son about 40 years ago. She had married outside the Church and had not had her baby baptized. I was visiting one day and she and her husband asked me to watch my nephew while they were away for a few hours, and I took him to the kitchen sink, got a glass of lukewarm tap water ready, and poured the water over his head while saying, “I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.” I’ve never regretted doing this.

was he raised a Catholic?

No, as a Morman, and I’m not sure he was ever put through a valid baptismal ceremony in the intervening years.

In case you needed confirmation, LDS (Mormon) baptisms are completely invalid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.