Is it wrong to be angry at God?

During the past few days, I’ve come to be honest with myself and realize that I am angry at God, though I don’t necessarily show it or want to say it. I’m just tired of suffering and getting worse, not better and waiting for something to happen. I’ve been in the state of grace, trying to go to confession frequently, praying, trying my best to get away from sin and talking with a spiritual director and even then, I only get worse.

God has been very absent and not answered my prayers, and if he has, it was only to make me worse than I was. I don’t think it’s right to get worse to the point of being a danger to myself and get more spiritually lost than I was before. How can that make any sense for a loving God? I don’t even know if I believe in everything the church teaches. I don’t understand anything anymore and I’m sick of having scrupulosity and trying but NOTHING happening.

4 Likes

God can deal with your anger. But ultimately, that’s not where you want to remain.

Do you have regular meetings with your spiritual director? I’ve found regular direction to be the best way for me to deal the highs, the lows, and the ordinary times in my spiritual life.

1 Like

Hey, I can’t really offer any advice to you about your situation, other than to say I’m pretty much in the EXACT same boat you’re in and I know what it feels like (if that helps).

2 Likes

Indeed. This is more about hurting our own selves than anything.

And what if I said that God does make himself known plenty to some of us… be it now… or with saints through the ages? What if I said that there were things that we still didn’t want to hear and suffer through? The real wisdom is in understanding, not simply hearing.

I don’t know what you’re specifically going through, but I wish you find this. God bless

OP, and anyone else who suffers like this, find a Healing Mass with the sacrament of Anointing and get y’alls selves anointed! If there are prayer teams available after the sacrament, ask for healing prayer. I’ve been where you are and have been anointed and prayed over with laying-on of hands several times, and I tell you: God works miracles through the sacrament of Anointing and through healing prayer. Go! Please!

3 Likes

It is perfectly fine to be angry at God. It’s being honest. I would tell Him that straight out. It’s an honest prayer.

You’ve got a big cross, and I’m sure many of us are going to pray for you. I am.

It’s very very hard to accept some crosses. I would just tell you to do the best you can. I’ve gone to adoration before and told God EXACTLY how angry I am.

One thing that has helped me, that some may not want to here is when through some grace we can at least become aware of the possibility of this way of seeing suffering even if we don’t want to accept it quite yet or have trouble accepting it at all. John Paul II sums it up like none of us could so eloquently and articulately in his Apostolic Letter Salvifici Dolores, “The Christian Meaning of Human Suffering.”

http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/apost_letters/1984/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_11021984_salvifici-doloris.html

Mother Angelica also has a really excellent little mini-book on the meaning, purpose, and reasons for suffering, but I"m not sure it is still in print, it helped me a lot.

But short answer is "Yes, be angry. " (but keep trying to come to a peace with God) I’ve found myself that I can only be angry with God for so long, sometimes a really long time, but eventually over a long period of time He wears me out, I can’t keep up the anger forever, then one can be more open to other ways of addressing your suffering.

1 Like

Hey, nice to see you back! :slightly_smiling_face:

I watch Mother Angelica Classics on Youtube quite a bit. I ran across this episode where she discusses suffering. If you get a chance, watch it. I’ve watched it more than once and it really helps me as I have a chronic disease and other health issues that cause me suffering.
Just a thought. You’re in my prayers. God Bless!

Bad Things Happen

2 Likes

I think it’s brave of you to admit. Many people are angry with God and keep it hidden. I have a very open relationship with the Holy Spirit. After seeing the state of the world recently (I consume little to no media) I became very disturbed. I asked an honest question.

Why am I here in this cesspool? I asked the Lord why He didn’t resolve this issue before our creation. And then asked if He booted Satan and his denizens out of heaven why would He subject him to us?

I’ve had a lot of experience with demonic spirits and I wouldn’t wish their carnage on a soul. Not even one I loathed. The Holy Spirit comforted me and restored my peace.

I don’t know what you’ve prayed for but I know hope deferred can wreak havoc. I don’t believe in cliches either. Giving advice is easier than walking things out. Do you have prayer partners? Sometimes it helps to have others storming heaven’s gates on your behalf.

I send out prayer requests each month. I don’t always know the holdup but I’ve witnessed the power of prayer en masse. Have you tried the same?

:nerd_face: I usually just lurk these days :nerd_face:

1 Like

When Lazarus died, Martha was frustrated, lamenting, “Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died.” Even so, she continued, “But even now I know that whatever you ask of God, God will give you.” She was suffering and confused, but she did not lose faith, nor did the Lord rebuke her for her words, but rather proceeded to do something that amazed even her. So then, it is not wrong to be frustrated about being in the dark about God’s plan, but you must never doubt that He will see you through it. Do not despair, nor blaspheme God, but wait on the Lord and be of good courage, for it is written, “All things work together for good for them that love the Lord,” and in another place, “Chastised a little, they will be greatly blessed.”

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.