Is it wrong to celebrate non Christian festivals?

I’ve stated in my old posts that before I converted to Catholicism, I was “practising” (in the sense that I wasn’t strictly adhering to their philosophy) Hinduism and Buddhism. And in between conversion, and that random following of the two, I was an atheist.

Back to the subject : One of the biggest festivals of Hinduism is just knocking on the doors this month. Although, I won’t be worshipping, receiving and giving gifts, I just want to be a part of this cheerful celebrations by just saying " Happy/greetings of Diwali". And my neighborhood - an Indian family of lecturers/professors will be inviting me over dinner.

I’d like to go. But I remember(ed) that once, a devout Christian even refrained from receiving any words of greetings of the occasion, let alone go for a festive lunch/dinner. The opinion was that it’s wrong and sinful to participate in any other celebrations that is not in the name of Jesus.

Should I politely decline the invitation?

This should help 1 Cor 10:

14 Therefore, my beloved, shun the worship of idols.
15 I speak as to sensible men; judge for yourselves what I say.
16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?
17 Because there is one bread, we who are many one body, for we all partake of the one bread.
18 Consider the people of Israel; are not those who eat the sacrifices partners in the altar?
19 What do I imply then? That food offered to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything?
20 No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be partners with demons.
21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons.
22 Shall we provoke the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than he?
23 All things are lawful," but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up.
24 Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.
25 Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the ground of conscience.
26 For “the earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it.”
27 If one of the unbelievers invites you to dinner and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience.
28 (But if some one says to you, “This has been offered in sacrifice,” then out of consideration for the man who informed you, and for conscience’ sake –
29 I mean his conscience, not yours – do not eat it.)

So basically if what you eat at their dinner wasn’t offered to their god, go ahead and participate, if however it was then politely decline

1 Like

@Nicene Okay!!! Thank you so much for this deep insight. Now, I know what I’ll be doing.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.