Is it wrong to do online shopping on Sunday?

I mean, nobody will be forced to work because of it probably, is it still wrong?

It’s not forbidden to shop on Sunday, online or in person.

5 Likes

The examination of conscience I use forbids unnecessary buying and selling on days of obligation. If it is not needed, or can wait, I would assume it is sinful.

5 Likes

There is a difference between forbidden and wrong imho. As the27thPsalm says , is it absolutely necessary? Is is devoting the day to God, rest and family and neighbour? That is my standard. I have a ritual now with a neighbor back to Mass after decades away. We go to the EF Mass she understands, then to coffee to talk about the day’s Gospel and other things.

3 Likes

And I’m quite sure your examination of conscience pre-dates Internet “shopping,” which in fact consists of manipulating a keyboard and sending electrons into the World Wide Web. By that standard, sending email or posting to CAF on Sundays would be equally sinful.

3 Likes

It depends on whether it’s unnecessary or necessary shopping. What is your motive? Is it to keep the Lord’s Day holy?

1 Like

The fault is probably not in communication and motion which even normal buying and selling involves, but only in specifically unnecessary buying and selling. This is the specific examination, if you wondered, given out in my city: https://archive.fatima.org/essentials/requests/examconc.asp

2 Likes

I don’t shop online, so it isn’t an issue for me.

1 Like

This is from Fr. Gruner’s Fatima Center, which I (and I suspect other people) do not find to be a reliable reference.

You can choose to follow it if you want, but it is a choice, and certainly not something binding on Catholics.

I am in agreement with 1ke. It’s not forbidden to shop on Sunday, either online or in person, as long as doing so is not keeping you from meeting your Mass obligation or your obligation to spend some family time.

6 Likes

Sending email or posting to CAF is a liberal activity, not a servile one.

I would not go so far as to say it is a sin, but online shopping and ordering is not the absolute best thing to be doing on Sundays. Can it wait till Monday? From what I hear in the news these days, online commerce in some places entails gross exploitation and overwork of the warehouse employees — they are given unreasonable work quotas that preclude even normal bathroom breaks. The online retailers need to hire more people, and make less profit, to get the work done in the timely manner that everyone desires. I dislike this kind of shopping for that very reason, but frequently it is the only way to get a desired item quickly, timely, and cheaply — I had to order a passenger side rear view mirror for my car today (cracked the original on the garage door backing out) and I could not find a replacement mirror locally. That is precisely the kind of versatility than online commerce affords.

1 Like

You can buy stuff on Catholic answers, this website, on sunday. You can also buy something at your grocery store or amazon.

1 Like

I was looking at a Catholic shop online (forget which one) and they posted on their website that 1) that it’s a sin to buy & sell on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation, 2) they are closed Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation and 3) please place your order on the next business day.

I wish I could find that website again - I’d post the link for you.

3 Likes

I’ve always found the Fatima Center to be solidly orthodox. If it’s the examination I think it is, then I have a hard copy of it at home.

2 Likes

Actually, the majority of online sellers are 24/7. Someone has to be there to take your order, pack & ship it. I work in retail (21+ years) and we have a website where people can order. Our shipping guys pick, pack & ship orders 7 days a week except holidays. So yesterday (11/29), the guys had 2 days’ worth of orders to pick, pack & ship because we were closed Thanksgiving :pray:. The big online retailers don’t close on Thanksgiving.
One of my big pet peeves is shops that are open on Thanksgiving Day. Some places are so greedy for business that they can’t even give their employees one day off to be with their families. :tired_face:

1 Like

It is not sinful.

3 Likes

Our Lord gave to Sister Mary of St. Peter the duty to spread devotion to His Holy Face in reparation for sins against the first three Commandments, specifically blasphemy and the profanation of Sunday.

3 Likes

You can buy stuff at a lot of church and shrine gift shops on Sunday as well. They generally close during Mass, but are often open for a while before and/ or after, because Sunday is the day when people go to Mass there and in addition, buy things and support the church or shrine.

The nearby parish has a book rack…I could buy a book from it any day of the week including on Sunday.

It’s pretty obvious that if the Church thought this was a sinful activity, it would not promote it.

2 Likes

I was taught it was wrong to shop on Sundays unless it us a necessity. Even if you are just casually at your computer some one else has to work some where to take the order off the computer.
I used to be in the medical profession and HAD to work Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. I hated it as most of the others around me did.
That is different than shopping though, I realize

2 Likes

Yes, and several of us have stated that shopping on Sunday is not a sin and does not “profane” Sunday, as long as our Mass and family obligations are also met.

If you believe shopping, or buying and selling, is profanation of Sunday, then we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

Muting the thread now as I do not think we are going to reach consensus on this issue.

2 Likes

Not sure. Perhaps they feel religious items are a necessity for someone’s spiritual life. ??

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.