Is it wrong to drink coffee while watching Holy Mass on EWTN?

On the one hand it’s just TV, but on the other hand it’s Holy Mass that I’m participating in.

If you’re watching it as an interesting and edifying TV show, no problem.

If you’re shut-in and this is your ONLY way of coming close to being present at Sunday Liturgy, and you are using this as a guide for your own prayer, you probably should not be eating or drinking during it.

I voted not sure becuase there have been times I have eaten while watching the Mass on EWTN. I never felt right, but I knew that it was just a TV broadcast.

I think erring on the side of caution, it would be wrong because even if it is just a broadcast, it’s still a broadcast of Heaven on Earth. I don’t think we should be flippant in our attitude toward it. So I resolve now that if I know the Mass is going to be broadcast, I will not eat or drink anything if I intend on watching it.

That said, obviously non-Catholics can.

If it is the live broadcast, not the repeat and you are actively participating in the mass. Then yes it is wrong to eat/drink during the Mass.

Well, the reason you fast before Mass is because you are physically receiving the Eucharist… so if you are not receiving, why would you need to fast?

My own reasoning would be for the same reason you dont’ sit in your pew at Church eating and drinking when you don’t plan on recieving communion.

Which kind of brings me to another question, is it wrong to eat or drink while praying? (I find that irreverant too. But I guess that’s up to the individual.)

I voted no. You aren’t really at Mass at don’t have the same obligation. It’s just not the same watching it on TV.

Is it okay to pray while I eat? :ehh:

Touche :ouch:

But I still find it irreverant while talking to God, you decide to eat a cupcake. Kind of like having a formal discussion with someone and stuffing your face while talking to them.

At least if you’re eating, your main focus is on that, and then you decide to have casual talk with God like you would a friend at a meal. But then I’m making distinctions between prayer here, and of course that would be a separate thread.

…just my $.02

Now, let us get back to the original question…

Several reasons

For example: Last year I converted to Catholicism. Prior to Easter, I attended Mass for about 18months. Now, for those 18 months, would I have been welcome participating in the Mass, but not receiving the Eucharist but sitting in the back pew drinking my coffee?:coffeeread: :nope: I don’t think so. Well, I’m not that disrespectful, so imagine me standing in the vestibule, participating in the mass, but holding my coffee in my left hand during the entirety of the Mass, staring through the glass doors? :coffee: I’m still not seeing it.
While a live televised Mass does not replace attendance, one still receives the blessing from the Priest and is a pious action. So, as I was answering the OP’s question, which was:

Robert Sock
Is it wrong to drink coffee while watching Holy Mass on EWTN?
On the one hand it’s just TV, but on the other hand it’s Holy Mass that I’m participating in.(emphasis added)

So, If the OP is participating in the Mass and it is live, then the OP is receiving the officiating Priest’s blessing and should refrain from eating; out of respect if nothing more. :highprayer:

Here are the references that helped me form my opinion.
ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?number=537211&Pg=Forum8&Pgnu=1&recnu=8
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=57507

Hope this clears my opinion for you. Of course, what it boils down to in the end: Is what you do in the sanctity of your home is between you and our LORD, in the end, my humble opinion does not matter.
:thumbsup:

:rotfl: I’m laughing, because I have always wondered the same thing! :smiley:

Since a televised Mass, even for a shut-in, does not meet the Sunday obligation, it’s no different than watching any other tv show, whether it’s the original broadcast or a repeat. The OP cannot participate in the Mass because he’s not physically present in the Church. Out of respect for what one is watching, one may choose to not eat or drink, but it is not an issue of right or wrong.

Peace,
Linda

Code of Canon Law 1247 states: “On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass.” Since we know that watching a TV Mass does not fulfill your Sunday obligation, it means that you are not participating in it.

But as a devotion and means of worshipping God and giving your full attention to what is going on, I think is a good thing. Especially if you cannot attend Mass and are watching to at least give time to God and to express your desire to Him that you wish you could attend a Mass.

if you are participating in the mass then yes it would be wrong but if just watching as a tv show then no

I like the Apologist’s answer:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=316577

My better judgment would be to say NO there is nothing wrong with drinking coffee or eating and watching the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass on E.W.T.N.

However; if the intention of your heart is to put your “soul” humbly in the spiritual prayerful presence of what is being said in the televised Mass and the significance of the act of sacrificial love taking place on the Alter; I believe that such a humble state of the person watching the televised Mass can indeed receive a spiritual blessing.

And in the event of the later, why would one want to eat at that particular moment ?

Just a matter of prospective.

Vivat Jesus.

Well if someone is watching an early morning Mass while getting ready for work, would it be better to change the channel and watch something else while eating breakfast or eat breakfast while watching Mass?

I don’t know if this makes any sense but I try to participate in the TV mass as best as I can

I kneel for consecration, and make the responses, saying the prayers

I don’t just watch it, but perhaps this is wrong, I don’t know?

While one can unite himself with the TV Mass, it is impossible to actively participate at Mass over TV.

Eating and drinking, therefore, whether one is prayerfully following along or not, is not a matter of right or wrong, so there are no restrictions whatsoever.

I’m not disputing your viable point. However; you did take out of context the later of what I was referring to as an alternative prospective: Namely; (" if the intention of your heart is to put your “soul” humbly in the spiritual prayerful presence of what is being said in the televised Mass and the significance of the act of sacrificial love taking place on the Alter; I believe that such a humble state of the person watching the televised Mass can indeed receive a spiritual blessing.")

And in that case why bother being distracted in such a spiritual moment of reflection by drinking coffee or eating to satisfy your needs of the flesh when you can appreciate something spiritually beautiful for an hour ? There’s no real wrong or right in this threads title question.
It’s a matter of personal prospective.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.