Is it wrong to fall asleep during adoration?

May God be with you!

I have committed to an hour a week of Holy Adoration. I actually took over for someone who could not commit to the time. It is 1 AM on Thursdays.

I am a Mom with a wonderful husband and two beautiful daughters and I work fulltime. I find it very hard to stay awake during this time. I do always start and end with prayers but many times I just have to sleep.

There isn’t any other time for me to do this. And this is a particularly hard time to get others to do. But is this a sin or bad if I fall asleep? I feel it is worthwhile and I always feel better for going.

Thank you and God bless you!

While I can’t recommend deliberately napping during adoration – Jesus asked his exhausted disciples, “Could you not watch with me one hour?” (Matt. 26:40) – inadvertently falling asleep, especially during nighttime adoration, is not wrong. St. Therese of Lisieux was sometimes chagrined to find that she would fall asleep saying her prayers. Perhaps you might ask her intercession to help you stay awake.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.