Is it wrong to go mall to do shopping on Sunday

To buy nothing crucial

are you skipping Mass to do so?

I’ve shopped on a sunday at Target to get essentials (and one time another cooler for travel) but I didn’t skip Mass and go shopping instead.

Is this the only day you can shop in the hypothetical situation?

If you’re not missing Mass in order to go shopping, then it isn’t a sin to go shopping on Sunday (and even then the sin would be the skipping of Mass, not the going shopping).

No, most if not all malls don’t open until noon on Sunday.

No, I’m not skipping the Mass for that.

Then your perfectly fine.

I wouldn’t see why if you are not skipping mass in order to go shopping.:shrug:

Because you’re making other people work on the Lord’s day for no apparent reason.

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

So are you saying that it is sinful to go shopping on a Sunday?

Unless, it’s an emergency you have to get food for your family etc. it’s not about you in this case it’s about making others work. Like a sin of commission.

And how many people need to rush out on in an emergency on a Sunday and buy food because their family will starve if they don’t? Getting the weekly shopping or even just a pint of milk for your tea hardly constitutes an emergency. And how many people couldn’t buy their food in advance during the week?

Maybe it isn’t sinful to go shopping on a Sunday. After all you could go to Mass on Saturday evening and then have Sunday free to do what you want.

On a personal note I don’t see how going shopping on Sunday is part of the way we ought to spend Sunday. I remember a time when practically nowhere opened on a Sunday. Now, it’s seems so ingrained in the way we live that it has become acceptable to spend Sunday idly meandering around the shops.

It has also been correctly pointed out that shop workers are having to work on a Sunday to enable people to go Sunday shopping. Emergency services, health care professionals, etc. need to work on Sundays. It isn’t essential that the employees in the fashion boutique work. It might not be a sin to go shopping on Sunday but it doesn’t seem to me to be a way to spend the Lord’s Day.

That is nonsense.
Provide you attend Mass and give time to God it is NOT a sin to go shopping, go to the movies, have recreational time (sports etc).

Given that in most locations where shops are open on a Sunday there will also be nearby churches that offer mass on Staurday night and two/three times on a Sunday, it’s hard to see why any given employee couldn’t make time for divine worship. The only occasion I can see potential sin of commission is when an employer is known to roster staff in such a way that they cannot attend divine worship, in which case you would simply choose not to shop there.

You make a wonderfully valid point here! However I am a bit confused, since even in the text it seems it is perfectly valid to make time for leisure and go out for Sunday brunch at a restaurant. I do not get the impression from reading this paragraph from the Catechism that allowances are made only for emergency food trips only since restaurant visits are rarely emergencies! I know that sometimes people like to “window shop” on the weekends and have lunch at the mall if it is done for leisure and time is made for worship I believe it falls safely into this category as well. It’s too bad really, it would be nice if things were closed like in the olden-days and we didn’t have to worry so much! God bless you.

And that is your own personal choice.

Urm, I wonder if it’s just mine.

I usually don’t like to go grocery shopping on Sunday because I would have to make people work. But, I wasn’t able to go on Saturday. I always go to the Vigil Mass, and sleep in on Sundays.

But, of course, I didn’t go out to eat or get a haircut, because unless it is necessary, you shouldn’t make someone work on a Sunday.

If I hadn’t done grocery shopping on Sunday, I would not have starved to death. But, I would have been extremely low on food. Plus, my pet might not have starved to death, but it would have been extremely malnourished by the end of the week if I hadn’t gone out and got food for it.

We have a daughter-in-law who works in an automobile assembly plant and lately they have had mandatory work on Sunday to keep up with customer demand. Where we live it is near impossible to find work and she feels fortunate to have a job at all. She and our son attend church when it is possible to do so. They are Baptists.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.