Is it wrong to go on birth control pills?

Hi.
I have been considering going on birth control pills. I am nineteen and have had sex twice with my boyfriend. I have been considering the pills mostly because it will make my period lighter and/ or non existent. And because I am a nervous person and, even though both times were protected and it is impossible that I am pregnant, it will put my nerves at rest a little more knowing there is a lower risk of becoming pregnant.
Now don’t get me wrong. I do want children. We are just both very young and I am working on becoming a nurse. So an accidental pregnancy would not be that great…
I know that a soultion to this is just to not have sex. I am just wondering is it said anywhere that birth control pills are bad? Even if I have the intention of having children one day?
Thank you for any help.

Oh Goodness, here we go…:stuck_out_tongue:

The Catholic faith holds that all forms of artificial birth control, including the pill and condoms, are ‘wrong’, including within marriage.

Having sex outside of marriage, or prior to marriage is also wrong.

I’m a very new Catholic, but it was my understanding that birth control pills were okay if medically necessary, like to regulate periods (?).

Doesn’t sound like the OP really wants them for that purpose, though. :frowning:

Oh Boy! This is a “rule” more honored in the breach than in the observance even by people who consider themselves good Catholics.

This has been true since the sixties and I don’t see it getting any less prevalent. It may have once been considered a “sin” (it may still be considered so and I’m sure I’ll hear about it) but I have known many priests (even then) who suggested people use their own conscience on this one.

I’m not saying that because many people disregard this that they are right. (Hitler had a big army; didn’t make him right.)

However, many Catholics disregard this rule, believing rightly, I think, that an informed conscience is the best arbiter here --as in some other cases where the Church leaders are not in agreement with what most Catholics believe and practice.

Other issues of a similar nature and level of controversy exist. It is an issue by issue debate but at least people are no longer afraid to have the conversation and do what they think is right.

Hold the presses right here. :slight_smile: Sex outside of marriage is a mortal sin. Didn’t anyone ever tell you that?

I have been considering the pills mostly because it will make my period lighter and/ or non existent.

Unless you’re flow is so heavy as to be uncontrollable, or you are having pain that cannot be dealt with by taking ordinary meds, you might want to reconsider taking BC. There can be serious downsides you should discuss with your doctor.

And because I am a nervous person and, even though both times were protected and it is impossible that I am pregnant, it will put my nerves at rest a little more knowing there is a lower risk of becoming pregnant. Now don’t get me wrong. I do want children. We are just both very young and I am working on becoming a nurse. So an accidental pregnancy would not be that great…
I know that a soultion to this is just to not have sex. I am just wondering is it said anywhere that birth control pills are bad? Even if I have the intention of having children one day?
Thank you for any help.

If you want to be sure, you know best thing is to not engage in sex before marriage. Apart from being a mortal sin, it’s not a wise policy to engage in premarital sex. Guys don’t respect you more for having sex with them. Why can’t you just date? Why must you engage in sex? Did he say he’d leave if you didn’t? If so, why should you give in to such blackmail? You’re an intelligent person who doesn’t need him if he should leave. No man who truly loves a woman expects her to do what she knows she shouldn’t. If you don’t know this, then you are being told this now because it’s true.

so using a condom is also bad? Why? Especially if you are wanting to have children in the future. Why would it be wrong to use condoms until the couple is ready for children? Where does it say this?

Condoms, as do any forms of artificial birth control, disrupt the unitive and creative aspects of the marital relationship: scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a6.htm#2366.

The OP’s purpose does seem clear.

Birth control pills may be acceptable when required for a medical purpose, but care is required. Such pills can in some cases fail to prevent conception, but subsequently prevent survival of the fertilised egg (child). Hence, a woman requiring medical treatment should seek to ensure the specific medication meets her medical needs without threatening a potential child.

Read Pope Paul VI’s encyclical HUMANAE VITAE on artificial contraception. Read the New Testament on the immorality of sexual intercourse outside marriage.

The Christian Church has always taught that intercourse outside marriage and artificial contraception are gravely immoral. I know that this is in opposition to everything that the modern atheistic liberal culture teaches. We must understand that to be Christian is to oppose the pagan culture.

Yes, barrier methods are also impermissible. That you are concerned for you and yours’ health is admirable, though, and shows signs of some moral progress, as the Pope Emeritus would put it.

But my best advice? Don’t have sex with your boyfriend, period, until you are married, if you end up marrying him. Express your love for each other in other ways, like, say, baking him a cake if that’s your thing. Be creative.

Caledon, yes, it’s grave matter. Whether a particular act is a sin will also depend on their knowledge that it is grave matter, and factors affecting consent. On the latter two, I cannot speculate, because I’m not a priest, let alone the OP’s confessor. Priests should not however be going around saying this is not grave matter.

Unfortunately, even though seminarians were taught what the Church teaches about artificial birth control, they were wrongly led to believe that it was a “personal conscience” matter, starting in the 1970s. So, when they became priests, that’s what they told parishioners who asked.

Pope Paul VI, in his encyclical, Humanae Vitae, knew that the ‘sex without love’ revolution was going on when it was published in 1968.

vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html

No birth control method is 100%. Always ask your doctor about this or that type of birth control.

Waiting until you are married is the only time to have sex. Even though other Catholics may ignore this, it’s what the Church teaches.

Peace,
Ed

The fact that many Catholics may use artificial birth control is not persuasive.

No priest can properly advise ABC (nor suggest that it is right for some, if the “conscience allows”) because the church’s teaching on the matter (set out in the Catechism) provides no room for discretion.

One’s conscience is not an ‘alternative authority’, to be consulted when other explicit sources don’t provide the desired answer. The teachings of the Church inform the conscience.

We use ABC because it is what we want to do. Because it is easier than the acceptable alternative (NFP).

Hi!
I am glad you thought enough of your relationship with God to write in and ask this important question. This is a good thing that you did.

At this point you are just going to have to have faith in what I am about to tell you ok? Others may chime in and tell you the same thing. When we engage in sex at a young age outside of marriage, it can spoil things tremendously later on in life.

You will only be young and un-married for a short time. When you fall in love with a really great guy, and get married. Things including maritial relations, are SO much better! Sex is then what it is supposed to be. Not only is premarital sex sinful, but it takes something that is so beautiful and eventually turns it into a handshake. Does that make sense?

Millions of wemon will tell you they get FAR more out of life by waiting! They get a FAR better guy, and have much better marriages.

Think this through VERY carefully ok? I am so glad you wrote in. Stay up with the posts, and make the right choices ok?

God Bless,
esieffe

From Humanae Vitae - which expressed Catholic teaching, we as Catholics all must believe this:

As to the point that conscience is the best guide here:

[quote=Pope Paul VI]No member of the faithful could possibly deny that the Church is competent in her magisterium to interpret the natural moral law. It is in fact indisputable…in carrying out this mandate, the Church has always issued appropriate documents on the nature of marriage, the correct use of conjugal rights, and the duties of spouses. These documents have been more copious in recent times. (paragraph 4).
[/quote]

To answer where does it say that the pill is immoral

[quote=Pope Paul VI]This particular doctrine, often expounded by the magisterium of the Church, is based on the inseparable connection, established by God, which man on his own initiative may not break, between the unitive significance and the procreative significance which are both inherent to the marriage act. (paragraph 12)

We are obliged once more to declare that the direct interruption of the generative process already begun and, above all, all direct abortion, even for therapeutic reasons, are to be absolutely excluded as lawful means of regulating the number of children…Similarly excluded is** any action **which either before, at the moment of, or after sexual intercourse, is specifically intended to prevent procreation—whether as an end or as a means. (14)
[/quote]

Long story short.

1. Sex is only moral if you are married to someone. Loving them isn’t enough. You must be married.

2. Using contraception (the pill, condoms, etc) to prevent a pregnancy is always wrong

3. The Church, not conscience, is our guide here.

It’s the opposite of what our society tells us, but that is what the Church has been teaching for 2,000 years and will always teach.

God bless.

As you know, for an act to be gravely sinful it must meet three criteria.

1. Grave matter - present here (CCC 1858)
  2. Deliberate Consent - seems to be present here, she doesn’t say she was raped (CCC 1859)
  3. Full Knowledge - present here (CCC 1859)

Thus*** it seems ***to be mortally sinful in this case, but she should seek council of a priest.

Note: No one, under normal circumstances, is lacking in #3 when it comes to the natural law b/c it is written on our hearts. Small children, the insane, and those with mental challenges could be exempt, but the poster seems to fit none of these categories.

CCC 1860 - No one is deemed to be ignorant of the principals of the moral law, which are written in the conscience of every man.

What if, due to poor catechesis, you don’t know it is a sin? I mean it’s hard to not have full knowledge when it comes to garden variety murder, because not only the Church, but the State defines it as immoral. But other sins, not so sure.

It’s still a sin whether we know it’s one or not, but a person’s culpability for committing such a sin would be less than someone who knows but does it anyway. But once we know it’s a sin, we are to stop doing it at once and go to confession and not do it again.

My priest once said that while it is never OK to sin. If you are going to sin, at least do it safely. If a women was going to have sex outside of marriage anyways, regardless of what her faith says, then use contraceptives and the like until you can can get right with god.

It is kind of like when then Pope Benedict said: *"There may be a basis in the case of some individuals, as perhaps when a male prostitute uses a condom, where this can be a first step in the direction of a moralization, a first assumption of responsibility [emphasis added], on the way toward recovering an awareness that not everything is allowed and that one cannot do whatever one wants."*

He is not approving of using the condom or having premarital sex, just being responsible even if you are sinning.  

While I would love for your to cherish your own body and to only give it to your husband, I know it is hard once you cross that line. I know that my wife and I wish we would have waited.  However we are now practicing Catholics to the best of our ability, including Natural Family Planing and weekly mass attendance. It has made our marriage stronger than I could have ever hoped for.  God has been unjustly kind to this sinner :gopray:. Hopefully you can find it in both of yourselves to live chastely until your both married.

Just know the following:
[LIST=1]
*]Premarital sex is a sinful.
*]Sex if needs to be both unitive and open to life
*]Sex can wait for your husband, he should only have the access to your body.
*]Do not fall for media version of sex. That version is cheap, empty and usually only sides with the male view of sex.
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.