Is it wrong to not want a family?

Hi,

I am a single female in my late 20s and I have never really had a desire for children of my own. I have considered becoming a sister but I really don’t feel called that way either.

My parents don’t have retirement and I would really like to take care of them and my extended family and I dream of providing for retired priests and sisters.

I’d like to get married later and adopt but really I am very consumed by ambition, maybe partly for myself but really more for wanting to take care of my family. Is that selfish or wrong in any way?

Maybe you are called to the single life.

[quote="Aquag80, post:1, topic:328467"]
Hi,

I am a single female in my late 20s and I have never really had a desire for children of my own. I have considered becoming a sister but I really don't feel called that way either.

My parents don't have retirement and I would really like to take care of them and my extended family and I dream of providing for retired priests and sisters.

I'd like to get married later and adopt but really I am very consumed by ambition, maybe partly for myself but really more for wanting to take care of my family. Is that selfish or wrong in any way?

[/quote]

In traditional cultures it is quite common for one of the daughters to remain unmarried and stay with her parents to care for them at home until they die. Typically they work at a profession until their parents become too ill to be left alone. Then they use the money they have amassed over the years to stay home and care for their parents. They often retire altogether after that, and spend the rest of their lives traveling and working at various hobbies - or else they start a small business to generate income for themselves in their own old age.

If your parents and your other siblings are willing to have you do this, I think it could be a way to go, if you don't feel called either to marriage or to religious life.

First don’t worry!

Second what we want sometimes changes slowly over time.

What’s important is to do our best to lead a good Christian life whatever stage we are at.

No its not wrong, not everyone is called to be a mother.

God bless you.

“Pray, hope and don’t worry”+

Wanting to get married later, after you can’t have kids any more, doesn’t sound like the right thing to me.

There’s nothing wrong with being single, in fact it is the preferred way for Christians.

But if you get married, you should do so in good faith, being open to children.

I'd be open to having children of my own, I just think I might be beyond age by that time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.