Is it wrong to purposefully put off homework until Sunday?

I’m a procrastinator by nature. I find that I get things done significantly more efficiently when I put them off until the last minute. It’s not a fantastic system but it’s how I roll.
So basically I just need to know how important it is that I try to get things done on Friday/Saturday. I know that it’s not a big deal to do homework if it happens to roll over to Sunday but how hard should we try to not have to?

I don’t see any argument that one has a moral obligation to avoid homework on Sunday, presuming it isn’t being used as an excuse to miss Mass. There’s probably something to be said for the wisdom of getting it done earlier, rather than later in order to insure that it’s not forgotten if something comes up. I don’t think it’s a moral issue either way though.

PS- If you’re a minor child and your parents told you to do it by a certain time, you are morally obligated to obey them.

I’m a procrastinator too and believe me, it’s a good idea to work on that while you’re young. You don’t want to be in your 60s and still be scrambling to get things done at the last minute! :o

50.22.108.14/showthread.php?t=148550
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=276694
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=148550

According to Fr. Serpa, doing homework on Sunday is not a sin. I don’t know procrastinating’s a sin though. But whether or not procrastination is a sin or not, it’s a really bad habit that you want to break. I know that you do better when you’re under pressure, but you really want to limit those times when you’re under pressure. After all, if you screw up when you’re almost out of time, you don’t have much time to correct it.

hmmmm… the seven deadly sins… ( :slight_smile: ) -

I agree with Inquiringperson;
By putting off the homework until the last possible moment, you potentially set yourself up for failure and create unneeded stress in your life. Stress is harmful to your body and to your soul. Just what the evil-one needs to get a grip on your life. You’ll start to see this in the cleanliness of your living area (Oh, I can pick that up later, tomorrow, next week…) soon your bills… gas… etc… are late (I can put that in the mail tomorrow, go down and pay that later… ) it’s the small things that will mortally wound you, bog you down.

Find some way to break the procrastination habit. You know in your heart this is a harmful act or else you wouldn’t be bringing it here to talk about. :sad_yes:

And though it may not be a major sin, if sin at all, humbly, I ask, have you mentioned this habit in confession? Perhaps, just bringing this little pebble into the confessional with you and giving it to the Lord will provide you with the Grace needed to kick the habit.

You might find this chart helpful:

[SIGN]
Top 10 Reasons to Quit Procrastinating
[LIST=1]
*]
[/LIST]
[/SIGN]

:wink:

But seriously, if you get your homework done and get to bed at a respectable hour Sunday night, I don’t see a problem. If you don’t, then perhaps you need to work on it.

I would say learn to stick with your decisions. Look at your work, look at other things you have or want to do, decide how best to arrange all that, and then stick to the decision. When you have the habit of sticking to your decisions (if that is the problem), then you will be able to decide one week that you have too much to do on Sunday, so should do some on Saturday, and you will find it easier to stick to your decision to do some earlier.

It is better to do your homework as soon as possible and allow yourself time to review that and other classwork.

It’s totally up to you, as long as you get it done and done to the best of your ability. I got through high school, college and law school that way.

Just remember that if you run into a problem, it may take longer than you thought, and you won’t finIsh on time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.