Is it wrong to receive a blessing from non-catholic clergy?

When I was young, my mom’s family was Lutheran, and whenever we’d go to their houses for Easter or Christmas (we always made sure to attend Mass on the vigil or Christmas Eve), they would encourage us to at least get a blessing when we went up for communion. Is this wrong. My parents never took communion, just the blessing as did us kids. Even as a child though I felt this was wrong and was reluctant to go up to a lutheran minister to get blessed.

So is it wrong to go up in the communion line to get blessed. I know non-Catholics who have done this at mass

If for some reason a Catholic is at a Protestant service that offers communion then they should remain seated. Going up for a blessing may give others the idea they are going for communion.

Non-Catholic clergy are lay persons. What kind of blessing do you expect to be receiving from them?

Blessing by a catholic priest is different from protestant pastor. When catholic priest is giving blessing . Its blessing comes directly from our Lord Jesus Christ , why because catholic priest has taken a vow and been ordained to be a representative of Christ on earth.

I invite you to read last Sunday’s gospel reading

[quote="Elizium23, post:3, topic:300677"]
Non-Catholic clergy are lay persons. What kind of blessing do you expect to be receiving from them?

[/quote]

As if EMHC have some better kind of power and blessing ability.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I’d go up and get a blessing. I say God bless you to someone, that’s conferring a blessing of sorts. It may not be “official” but get over it.

Does taking a vow and being ordained automatically make the blessing somehow more offical?

Yes. Here are the Church’s rulings:-)
catholicdoors.com/faq/qu389.htm
Peace to all here.

I don’t believe it’s illicit, except for the possible scandal it could cause, but a Protestant pastor/minister/elder’s blessing is equal in efficacy to you going to a random man and signing the cross over him. That’s not to say it may not have some effect, as a prayer, but it has no sacramental-like effect. You can pray and sprinkle water over something, and the prayer is still efficacious: but if the water has not been blessed by a Catholic or Orthodox priest or hierarch, it is not holy water and has no effect in itself.

Now, where did I say anything like that? EMHCs are equally incapable of bestowing blessings in the context of a Mass.

I get blessings from an Orthodox priest all the time.

Then why bother? Anyone can do that, so then why go stand in line at some protestant church for such a so-called “blessing”? I can get that sort of “blessing” from the clerk at WalMart.

I mentioned to a non-churchgoing friend that another friend, a deacon, had been ordained as priest, and so she was then able to officiate at the Eucharist; the first friend said, “So, she levelled up and got new powers.”

What is EMHC?

There is a rule in Catholic Canon Law against receiving communion from a non-Catholic, but I cannot find anything against receiving a blessing. However, St Paul discusses the issue of conscience in Rom 14 and 1 Cor 8 and 9, resolving that you should not do something which goes against your own or another’s conscience. On that basis, you probably ought to avoid it.

Following someone who said, “The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath”, I have to say that I am rather more impressed by your view of it than by the view of those who would not risk indifferentism in order to achieve unity.

When I was a baby, the nuns at my sisters’ catholic school took me into the church and put me on the altar. And they said a prayer. I’ve always been touched by that story. It helps me connect better with God somehow. If a blessing, official or not, helps you in your faith, than go for it.

At that time, John said to Jesus,
"Teacher, we saw someone driving out demons in your name,
and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow us."
Jesus replied, "Do not prevent him.
There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name
who can at the same time speak ill of me.
For whoever is not against us is for us.
Anyone who gives you a cup of water to drink
because you belong to Christ,
amen, I say to you, will surely not lose his reward.

Mark 9:38-43.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.