Is it wrong to visit the Blessed Sacrament in a state of mortal sin?

@topic

Certainly not. Recall that Christ spent most of his time among mortal sinners - not condemning them, but offering to save them. It was for that very purpose that He came to us.

It is Christ who not only paid the price of your mortal sins, but He alone Who calls you to repentance. Having called you, He offers to cleanse you with the blood He shed for your sake. The natural outcome of this is to move you spiritually and physically to seek reconciliation through Him. The priest sits in His place, and by the authority of Christ, completes the act that Christ initiated by His call to repentance.

Christ’s peace be with you.

Not at all and, in fact, should probably be encouraged. It would serve, in my opinion, to increase devotion to the Blessed Sacrament, make aware your longing for it, and hasten your Confession and reconcilliation to Christ.

Never. Jesus welcomes you, and hopes this is the first step towards a true contrition, confession, reconcilliation, and communion.

No, it is not wrong! Please go visit Jesus as you feel called. Also, remember that we are to go to mass on Sundays and Holy Days even if we are in a state of mortal sin. The thing to keep in mind is to not go up to receive communion if we are in a state of mortal sin. We are to go to confession first.

Maybe you would like the type of prayer called an act of spiritual communion:

My Jesus,
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You. Amen.

As soon as you ask God for forgiveness of your sin, you are forgiven. So, repent and visit the Blessed Sacrament.

Go to confession so that you can be reconciled to the Church, and be able to receive Holy Communion.

Jim

I have been feeling guilty about it. It’s good to know that it isn’t so. Anyway I took your advice and went to confession as soon as possible so as to be reconciled to the Church. Thanks for replying! :slight_smile:

:thumbsup: A1 Post!!!..:thumbsup:

The prayer above, known as “The Spiritual Communion” can not only be prayed in front of The Blessed Sacrament, but at anytime during the day at any time and especially on those days one is unable to attend Mass. It can, of course, be prayed whether one is in the state of Grace or not. But it does express an implied longing to receive Jesus in Communion and to be meaningful about this implied longing, if not in the state of Grace, then I think we should aspire, in praying the prayer, to go to Confession as soon as possible.
Thanks heaps for posting it, Pug…as a child I knew it by heart as we had to learn it by heart from the nuns and why, but over the years had lost most of the precise wording and great to have refound it:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

**arvinsim **I have been feeling guilty about it. It’s good to know that it isn’t so. Anyway I took your advice and went to confession as soon as possible so as to be reconciled to the Church. Thanks for replying! :slight_smile:

Great news! Great news indeed!:extrahappy:May The Peace of The Lord be with you always and with His richest blessings…regards…Barb:)
PS At times I have dreaded Confession for one reason or another…I have every single time discovered that it was not as bad as I had dreaded and nowhere near it - my expectations were proved completely false as expections (and assumings) can be.

You’re welcome. I think it comes from St. Alphonsus Liguori. It turns out great minds think alike:bounce::whistle:…our associate priest just printed that same prayer up today in our bulletin for people who can’t go up to receive. Also, it is a good one for those who can’t get to daily mass but would like to go.

Yea! :slight_smile:

Thanks Pug…I must read the life story of St. Alphonsus again…I dont think I can recall one detail - probably read it in my teens (now 63yrs). I have thought often that I would like to read about St. Alphonsus again but dont know really why, nor have actually got around to it - now on my list of must reads. I am very grateful indeed for the text of the Spiritual Communion though and to at last have again the whole text. I have been using the brief aspiration: “Dear Jesus, since I cannot now receive you sacramentally, please come spiritually into my heart and remain with me forever”.

It turns out great minds think alike:bounce::whistle:

I knew immediately that this comment was not meant for me!:hypno:

Thanks again…cacha again on the rounds of the Forums, Pug…regards and God’s Many Blessings…Barb:)

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.