Is James Hetfield of Metallica Catholic?

I've seen photos of a tattoo on his arm of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and some other religious images.
I've seen on the internet some claims that he has embraced Catholicism but I can't verify this claim. I've seen one claim that his wife is Catholic, and perhaps that is why.
Does anyone know for sure? Just curious.

I think he was brought up Christian Science...not sure about now.

I know that he had a lot of trouble with his upbringing in the religion called Christian Science. I think he despised it.

I don't know about where he finds himself currently...

Unless something has changed, I was under the impression that he was at least somewhat anti-religious. The song The God That Failed describes how his Christian Scientist mother refused (cancer?) treatment and died. This made him pretty critical of Christian belief, if I'm not mistaken.

If things have changed since The Black Album, then perhaps he has re-accepted some religious views. However, I doubt that he's a Catholic. We've all met people who have tattoos with religious imagery or who wear rosaries around their necks who aren't Catholics. It's a "style" thing nowadays.

[quote="Catholic4Christ, post:4, topic:269406"]
Unless something has changed, I was under the impression that he was at least somewhat anti-religious. The song The God That Failed describes how his Christian Scientist mother refused (cancer?) treatment and died. This made him pretty critical of Christian belief, if I'm not mistaken.

If things have changed since The Black Album, then perhaps he has re-accepted some religious views. However, I doubt that he's a Catholic. We've all met people who have tattoos with religious imagery or who wear rosaries around their necks who aren't Catholics. It's a "style" thing nowadays.

[/quote]

Things have definitely changed. Since then, he has gone through rehab for alcohol and is sober. He is married with kids.
He has a big tattoo of Jesus on one arm and an Angel on the other. He also has what looks like a Ford logo but says "Faith". And he has a cross on his chest.

That still doesn’t change the fact that God sat around twiddling his thumbs while his mother suffered and died. So yeah, he has every right to be skeptical of “Christian Science.”

But fortunately Christian Science is just a small tradition, it doesn’t represent all of Christianity. :thumbsup:

[quote="VeritasLuxMea, post:6, topic:269406"]
That still doesn't change the fact that God sat around twiddling his thumbs while his mother suffered and died. So yeah, he has every right to be skeptical of "Christian Science."

But fortunately Christian Science is just a small tradition, it doesn't represent all of Christianity. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Exactly. :thumbsup:

Christian Science is what "The God that failed" is about. He is not anti-religion. Also as a side note song content doesn't always mean the person believes it. Look at slayer the lead singer is a Catholic but the lyrics are very anti-religion.

[quote="carguy, post:8, topic:269406"]
Christian Science is what "The God that failed" is about. He is not anti-religion. Also as a side note song content doesn't always mean the person believes it. Look at slayer the lead singer is a Catholic but the lyrics are very anti-religion.

[/quote]

Is Tom Araya a practicing Catholic? Do you know?

Unlike his Slayer bandmates who profess to being atheists, Araya is Catholic.[12] In an interview, Araya expressed his belief that "...Christ came and taught us about love, about doing unto others. That was his preach: Accept each other for who we are. Live peacefully, and love one another." When asked if he believed in God, replied "I believe in a supreme being, yeah. But He's an all-loving God."[13] Araya explained that he has a "really strong belief system," and Slayer's words and images will "never interfere with what I believe and how I feel.... People are not in good shape to where they have to question their own belief system because of a book or a story somebody wrote, or a Slayer song."[14]
Araya commented about the misconception of the band labeled as Satan worshippers, "Yeah, yeah I think that’s one of the biggest misconceptions towards the band, but next to that just the fact that we’re normal." If guitarist King writes a good song, Araya puts his beliefs aside, "I'm not one that's going to go, 'This sucks because it's contrary to my beliefs.' To me it's more like 'this is really good stuff. You're going to **** people off with this.'"

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.