Is January 1 a Holy Day of Obligation or not?

I thought it was.
At church yesterday the priest emphasized though that it was NOT.
:shrug:

Kathrin

p.s. Weird. The website of that church says it is. Maybe I misunderstood something.

Yes, it is. It was not last year because the USCCB said it wasn’t. I don’t remeber why (someone else may can enlighten us).

I notice that you are in Switzerland so I don’t know if it is there or not since some countries have their own holy days.

Call your parish and see. I know ours is having a vigil tonight and one service tomorrow.

That is odd–it’s the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God, and the vigil service is today/tonight, while tomorrow is the Holy Day of Obligation for the observance.

Very odd indeed that your priest would say that. . . ?

Just a quick correction… it’s not the Navtivity of the Blessed Virgin, it’s the celebration of “Mary, Mother of God”. Not her nativity.

I was confused also- but according to the new church calandar,we got yesterday is is a holy day.

It is. It’s a Solemity and its also one 7 Precepts of the Church. Mary, the Mother of God is required for Catholics to go.

It depends on the bishop. Each bishop has the choice of making is a holy day of obligation or not. The bishop of Las Vegas of course made it not a holy day, while the bishop of Lake Havasu AZ did. It is confusing, but that is the silly way it is set up. I would trust the diocesan website.:shrug: I think we will go simply to wish the new year well, but we are not required to go.:frowning:

This is what I got off of Wikipedia for what its worth.

While these are the holy days of obligation for Germany, the bold face sentence at the end seems to make it a holy day for Switzerland also -

Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God (1 January)
Easter Monday
Ascension
Pentecost Monday
Christmas Day (25 December)
Second Christmas Day (26 December)
In addition, some dioceses have one or more of the following holy days of obligation:

Epiphany(6 January)
Body and Blood of Christ
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (15 August)
All Saints (1 November)
The solemnities of Saint Joseph, Saints Peter and Paul and the Immaculate Conception of Mary are observed nowhere in Germany as holy days of obligation.

Austria, Switzerland and German-speaking areas in neighbouring countries have similar rules.

Why is the Monday after Easter a HDoO? And December 26?? Are they special patronal feasts days in Germany?

Because in the US, when the feasts of Mary, Mother of God, All Saints & the Assumption fall on Saturday or Monday the obligation to go to Mass is abrogated.

January 1 is a holy day of obligation, but there might be a dispensation from some bishops - or maybe it is each state’s conference that can make the change. At any rate, Californians have been told they have no obligation to attend Mass tomorrow. Too bad we are often told to take the easy way out! We could sure use the Blessed Mother’s intercession.

(How right you are Tedster! Some people don’t get it.)

It gets quite difficult to figure what is and is not a Holy of Day of Obligation these days…

Here in California, in the Ecclesiastical Province of Los Angeles (which includes the dioceses of Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Monterey, Fresno and San Diego), the feast of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God is NOT a Holy Day of obligation. Of course the fact that it is not a holy day of obligation does not prevent anyone from attending Mass.

Just for the record, the general norm for the Latin Rite of the universal Church (Canon 1246) lists the following (non-Sunday) days as Holy Days of Obligation:
[LIST]
*]the Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ
*]the Epiphany
*]the Ascension
*]the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ
*]Mary Mother of God
*]the Immaculate Conception
*]the Assumption
*]the feast of Saint Joseph
*]the Apostles Saints Peter and Paul
*]All Saints[/LIST]In many places not all of these days are days of obligation (or have been transferred to a Sunday or are not days of obligation when they fall on certain days of the week).

Other days may have been added as regional Holy Days of Obligation, for instance: Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico or St. Patrick’s Day in Ireland.

The following Wikipedia article lists Holy Days of Obligation for some countries. I don’t know how accurate it is. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Day_of_Obligation

According to that article, only Christmas and Mary, Mother of God, are Holy Days of Obligation here in Canada. :frowning:

Anglicans don’t have days of obligation (there isn’t even, AFAIK, a requirement to be at Mass on Sundays, and some still go to Mattins) so I observe the Roman Rite rules for Canada as they existed in 1962.

I just came back from a Mass of Anticipation for the Naming of Jesus, which is our name for the Octave Day of Christmas.

You did. The Bishops set the Holy Days Of Obligation for their Parishes:yup:

My copy of OUTLINES OF THE CATHOLIC FAITH, copyright 2000 by The Leaflet Missal Company, states that in Canada the only 2 days are Christmas and New Year’s Days.:dts:

For the USA. they are 1 January, Acension Thursday, 15 August, 1 November, 8 December, and 25 December. However, in some parishes, including Los Angeles (where I live), 1 January is not a Holy Day Of Obligation. :nope:

I intend to go to church 1 January anyhow.:thumbsup:

In the U.S. it is.

It isn’t in England and Wales

My church always mentions that a day is a HDO, but they did not do so on Sunday and there is only a vigil Mass and a 10:00 Mass. I looked up info on our diocese, but there is none.

Thanks for the correction upthread. In our bulletin, it was called “the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary”, but in Mass tonight the priest called it the Solemnity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Dang typos. :shrug:

It is not “the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary”.

Yes, Brother Rich, I know. I was thanking the poster upthread for her clarification; it was mis-named in our parish bulletin, hence my mistake. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.