Is Jesus a hypocrite? Need help answering no

I need a lot of help in understanding what Jesus says in Mt 5 and how it relates with how the apostles dropped the dietary restrictions, among other things, in the Old Law.

The following is a discussion I’ve had with someone who is an evangelical heretic who also supports the idea that there is nothing to suggest that homosexuals should not be allowed to marry. Anyhow, here is the thread:

secretmotive.com/community/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6694

secretmotive.com/community/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6694&whichpage=2

secretmotive.com/community/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6694&whichpage=3

Please note that I am “ry guy” whereas the guy I’m arguing with is “True Belief.” The thread is three pages long. Please disregard the comments by other members if you feel like it. The last post by True Belief is the one I’m having trouble answering. I really need your help!!!

To what law was Christ referring when He said:

Matthew 5:18
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Christ fulfilled all that was demanded to be fulfilled.

Luke 16:17
And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

The Incarnation, the Word Made Flesh, was a less likely occurrence than the passage of earth and heaven; so unlikely, that the majority of Christ’s audience could never imagine it at all.

Peace in Christ…Salmon

First of all, don’t fall into the trap of “interpreting” the Bible by reading only a few verses.

Matthew 15,17-18:
17 Do you not realize that everything that enters the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled into the latrine? 18 But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile. Jesus clearly tells us that rigid following of the dietary laws is not what saves us – it is what is in our hearts and minds that counts.

Elsewhere, he tells us:

14 Then the disciples of John approached him and said, “Why do we and the Pharisees fast (much), but your disciples do not fast?” 15 Jesus answered them, “Can the wedding guests mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast. 11 16 No one patches an old cloak with a piece of unshrunken cloth, 12 for its fullness pulls away from the cloak and the tear gets worse. 17 People do not put new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise the skins burst, the wine spills out, and the skins are ruined. Rather, they pour new wine into fresh wineskins, and both are preserved.” (Matthew 9,14-17)Similarly,

7 6 They said to him, “Then why did Moses command that the man give the woman a bill of divorce and dismiss (her)?” 8 He said to them, “Because of the hardness of your hearts Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 I say to you, 7 whoever divorces his wife (unless the marriage is unlawful) and marries another commits adultery.” (Matthew 19, 7-9)

And again, Matthew 12,10-13

10 And behold, there was a man there who had a withered hand. They questioned him, “Is it lawful to cure on the sabbath?” 7 so that they might accuse him. 11 8 He said to them, “Which one of you who has a sheep that falls into a pit on the sabbath will not take hold of it and lift it out? 12 How much more valuable a person is than a sheep. So it is lawful to do good on the sabbath.” 13 Then he said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and it was restored as sound as the other.

Again and again, Jesus presents us with a different view of the “Law” – not a sterile, legalistic view, but a warm, loving view.

There is an old saying my friend. (used commonly by exorcists)

“Never argue with the devil, you will always lose”

You know the truth, you can feel it in your soul. When you are wrong on something, you feel that too.

Man can rationalize away the Bible all he wants, it doesn’t change a thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.