Is Jesus a prophet and mystic?

*The following forms part of our Renew course at our parish. I must say I am confused as to me Jesus is God not a mystic. When I think of a mystic I think of Teresa of Avila, Catherine of Sienna, John of the Cross…

“Prophets are people who speak out when others remain silent. They criticize their own society, their own country, or their own religious institutions. Those who criticize hostile nations or foreign religions are not called prophets. True prophets are men and women who stand up and speak out about the practices of their own people and their own leaders - while others remain silent.”

[FONT=“Comic Sans MS”]*I speak out and I am not a prophet! I know atheists who stand up and speak out! The above is under the title of “Jesus, the Mystic and Prophet”.:shrug:

Please share your thoughts on this as I am confused.:shrug:

[/FONT]

Dear friend,

A mystic is a mere human being who is gifted with mystical experiences. Jesus gives mystical experiences; He doesn’t receive them. He is God.

A prophet is a mere human being, gifted with representing God as a kind of spokes person.
Jesus is the fulfillment of prophecies. He is God.

Someone in your parish doesn’t know the faith.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.