Is Jesus God?

According to Matthew 20:17 and Rev 1:6, why does Jesus call his Father God if he himself is God? I know it is a Trinitarian answer but cannot explain it.

Because Jesus is not only God, He is also Man. So, whenever He calls God His Father, He does so as a human being so that other human beings, His fellowmen, will learn from Him how to build up a filial relationship with His Father. There are hundreds of examples where Jesus called God His Father. The most wonderful and powerful is “Our Father”…and on the cross. “Father, Father why have You forsaken Me?” and “Father into Your hands I commend My spirit.”

Hope that helps.

Should answer it

Jehovahs Witnesses

scripturelink.googlepages.com/search?cx=001763116401597409521%3Af7idlv7awxw&cof=FORID%3A11&q=Jehovah’s+witness#1195

The concept of the trinity

scripturelink.googlepages.com/search?cx=001763116401597409521%3Af7idlv7awxw&cof=FORID%3A11&q=%22%28Triune+God%22%29+OR+%28%22Trinity%22%29

Other than that

Jesus as a human prays to God, remember, two fully formed naturres- fully human, fully God, and also, the persons in the trinity are unieque and separate persons, yet but one in substance.

c.f.

newconscience.googlepages.com/thetriunenatureofreality

ask more, get more.

Remember He accepted worship (latreia) when after His Resurrection, Thomas addressed Him as “My Lord and my God.”

Even before His birth, while still in the womb of His Mother, His deity was acknowledged when Elizabeth, inspired by the Holy Spirit, said, “What is this to me, that the mother of my Lord [in effect, Mother of YHVH] should come to me.”

We cannot allow ourselves to think that Jesus was some sort of split personality, in the modern sense. By the Incarnation, our God allowed Himself to do a number of things, all focused toward educating Mankind in the proper understanding of the Faith and of what was expected of Man.

One way was to present Himself in an image of which Man wouldn’t be scared. He didn’t come as an angelic form with wings, etc., or as some sort of round, spherical energetic ball. He came as a Man from the very beginning - human birth - and began to acquire a reputation as a human.

Another way was to be able to understand human emotions, so that He could teach in the ways that a human could understand. If He understood the human pain, greed, sensitivity, etc., then He could choose teaching methods best for His “class” or audience. Note that He chose parables for many of his lessons.

And finally, by choosing a Man’s way of death, He chose the most exemplary way of dying. Everyone who knew Him, or knew OF Him, could understand His death as a sacrifice.

:eek:

Is Jesus God?

YES!~Boy this was an easy Thread! :slight_smile:

Read everything! Be careful what you accept! By reading it all, you can figure out what to believe and what to ignore. You can’t get a more-rounded education if you don’t read the opponent’s viewpoints! Know your opponent!

By knowing what he believes, you can better discuss with him to try to help him become a True Believer. If you don’t know anything about what he believes in, how can you discuss ANYthing with him and be percieved as intelligent?

Another joke about agnostics:
What do you get when you cross an agnostic with a dyslexic?
A person who wonders if there really is a dog?

I think one way to answer this, is to look at what Jesus, says about Himself, and what/why He does and says what He does as God incarnate. Remember, He is also called the new Adam. And He has to repair with His perfect obedience, all the disobedience of mankind from the 1st Adam, to the last human that will ever be born

Jn 5:19
the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.

Jn 12:49
For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it.

Jn 12:50
whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say."

Jn 14:10
The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

Jn 14:31
I do exactly what my Father has commanded me

It is a mystery. Who can answer but GOD Himself? And he did “In the begining was the WORD and the WORD became flesh” Not “presented himself as a man” Yes he came down on earth as a Man but he was a Man from the beginning of time, (As we understand it) not from the beginning of his human birth.

Answer to the OP. Yes Jesus is GOD, Jesus was GOD, Jesus always will be GOD. :signofcross: Why do people have to “explain” it? “Seek not to understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand.” Saint Augustine :amen:
:bowdown2: :blessyou:
:bowdown2:

The link is to a catholic site, refuting the Jehovahs witness belief that Jesus is only human, and an adopted Son. This is where I got cranked up on the God part. P.s. the old testament clearly prophesises God with us. The New also, one of those sites linked to on the automatic listing is Catholic Answers.

Be careful what you read many false things are written, being human you can be lead astray. Why would you want to discuss anything with a Jehovah’s Witnesses ? You won’t be preceived as intelligent, you would be wasting time better spent. When I encounter them I say " May the True God Bless you" and after saying that about 15 times they leave! Works every time!!! :smiley:
“If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don’t like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself.” Saint Augustine

We are to know our enemy and as a :knight1: Knight I am ready to slay the dragons! :knight2:

Another Joke about Jehovahs Witnesses:

Definition of Hell? Spending eternity in Heaven with a bunch of Jehovah’s Witnesses :extrahappy:

271 children are murdered in the USA every minute. Pray the Rosary for the end of Abortion every day!
(For our Protestant friends; "Rosary: the beaded thing with a cross on the end that liooks like a necklace!:thumbsup:

Yoy haven’t replied, did you get my explaination?

Check out the resources, they are brilliantly set out. Tell me if you agree, p.s. I haven’t read your most recent post, but please to look into the fact that I was not promoting an unorthodox view.

Now now, lets not get offensive towards the other people, who are being logically refuted. Logic is enough, we don’t need to mock people… :mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :blush:

It isn’t conducive to ecumenism.:thumbsup:

Now please acknowledge that your comment about my post was incorrect.:thumbsup:

In God there are three divine persons, totally distinct and different , with one divine nature.

The Son is not the Father nor the Holy Spirit
The Holy Spirit is not the Son nor the Father
The Father is not the Son nor the Holy Spirit

Yet all three are equal and all three are God.

The Father is the first person of the Blessed Trinity
The Son is the second person of the Blessed Trinity
The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Blessed Trinity.

Thats the best way I know how to explain it.

Are you talking to me? If so, I can’t acknowledge a truth as being untrue, sorry! To joke is not to mock, I could mock the JWs they are an easy target.:slight_smile: Who wants to be ecumental?:shrug:

If you are to spread the Word, why would you NOT discuss things with any non-believer? To get them to Believe! You can’t do it by osmosis.

Whomper, yopu have never spoken to a JW I am thinking. :smiley:

Why would anyone want to “spread the word” to someone who “THINK” they already found the answer?
Christians spend more time spreading the word to fellow christians than to non-christians. Kind of like wireless cell phone systems providers:p ( As Catholic’s know “our system” has less dropped calls, clearer connection and better service :slight_smile: )

I have received so many Gospels of John from Protestant breatheren. I almost want to put them in the same box with the JW.

I am always drawn back to the words of Saint Augustine:“If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don’t like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself.” and " Seek not to understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand" My Church knows the correct answers I am happy in my belief. I only need to the faith of a mustard seed in order to be in enternity with my Lord and Savior. I am a work in progress, attempting to grow that faith even afyter 64 years. :thumbsup:

God Bless

Isn’t it our responsbility to spread the word to non-believers? Just because they think they believe, and we know that they’re incorrect somewhere in that belief, should we not try to educate them?

Your answer speaks to the question, “How many times must we try, in order to fulfill our obligation?” Maybe we should try only once per person.

Christians spend more time spreading the word to fellow christians than to non-christians.

Sorta like preaching to the choir, eh!? But what if those fellow christians don’t really know what is required?
Faith alone in our God isn’t enough. If they don’t believe in the Incarnate God, that’s a weakness in their faith.
There are other weaknesses, too, which would prevent them from achieving their salvation. Are they still Christian?
Or do we just judge them as lost and going to hell, and then be done with them?

Short answer NO!

That I actually do I try** once! **

Sorta like preaching to the choir, eh!? But what if those fellow christians don’t really know what is required? Faith alone in our God isn’t enough. If they don’t believe in the Incarnate God, that’s a weakness in their faith.There are other weaknesses, too, which would prevent them from achieving their salvation. Are they still Christian?

Don’t get offended but that sounds very Protestant

What? Am I now my brother’s keeper? :smiley: Actually if I was to judge anyone, I would be so judged, so I always give others the benefit of the doubt. “For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor.” St. John Chrysostom

Be confident of this: “He who began a good work in you will continue to perform it until it’s perfectly complete.” --Philippians 1:6

AMEN!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.