Is Jesus Sacrifice not enough?

I am a little confused after reading this from the letter of Fatima:

" Pray, pray very much, and make sacrifices for sinners; for many souls go to Hell because there are none to sacrifice themselves and pray for them. "

If Jesus died for us all, why do we need to do sacrifices for sinners?

Thank you all in advance for helping me answer this!

Because true religion requires sacrifice. Of course Jesus died for all, but you need to unite yourself in his sufferings. Rejoice in yours. Romans 5:3.

Thank you! But why did the Virgin Mary say people go to hell for lack of prayers and sacrifice? It’s almost like the sacrifice of Jesus wasn’t enough?

God give us the dignity of being “causes” (and we are sons in the Son!). We are given the dignity of proclaiming the Gospel, of caring for the sick and needed and yes of praying for and sacrificing for others salvation…We are given that dignity of being “causes” (by grace etc) in the good of others and of the world…

Such does not mean that the sacrifice on the Cross was not enough! It was superabundant to say the least.

But as Paul noted:

“Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church…” (Colossians 1.24- RSV CE)*

Now does that mean that there is something lacking in the sufferings of Christ?

They rather were super abundant!

As one of my Professors at Fran. Un. Steubenville put it (either Dr. Martin or Dr. Hahn) noted years ago-

–what is lacking? Our sufferings. Us.

Our Sufferings - joined with his in his pascal mystery.

Not that they are needed - as if his sufferings were not “enough” (He could have saved us without such even!) - but we in our free will can help others who also have free will.

Evil (sin) comes from the abuse of free will -which yes also effects others - and prayer etc is a good use of free will for others.

Jesus makes a space as it were for us - for our love to be involved.

God involves us in the greatest aspects of life - as he involves us in the lesser aspects.

We are as I noted given the dignity of cooperating - of being a kind of (secondary) cause in good and even yes the salvation of others.

Prayer etc is a reality in the universe. Just as giving a cup of cold water to a thirsty person is a reality.

*ewtn.com/devotionals/biblesearch.asp

Thank you! That does clarify alot, and i did think about what St. Paul said about sharing the afflictions of Chrsit… ( I guess i didnt understand what it meant exactly)
Thank you it is much more clear now

I revised it some…see above.

thank you :slight_smile:

Hi, Emanuel!
…the Church calls it the Communion of the Saints… St. Paul was the most prolific Writer of the New Testament… yet, he is constantly calling on the Communion of the Saints:

Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, (Ephesians 6:9)

For I know that this shall fall out to me unto salvation, through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, (Philippians 1:19)

And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. (Colossians 4:3)

The call is to emulate Christ and here’s what He Said:

12 This is my commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved you. 13 Greater love than this no man hath, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends, if you do the things that I command you. (St. John 15:12-14)

…and, as was previously quoted, St. Paul understood that Christ’s Sacrifice was Eternal and Complete (all sin, forever, are cleanse through His Blood) but that the Believers could share in on Christ’s Sacrifice by consciously accepting our experience (sacrifice and blessings) in Christ Jesus.

Maran atha!

Angel

To become one with Jesus at the Eucharist, we are supposed to sacrifice ourselves together with Him.

Jesus’ sacrifice is certainly enough but people are not taking advantage of it. From what I understand, the sacrifices called for by our Lady of Fatima are meant to encourage God to grant graces to people to move them to conversion and repentance so that they can take advantage of Jesus’ sacrifice.

From the Bible…From Col 1:24:“I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of His body that is the Church.”

catholiceducation.org/en/religion-and-philosophy/apologetics/purgatory-holy-fire.html

We can’t even imagine what it’s like, but we have been granted the fiery Holy Spirit of love to enable us to do what would otherwise be humanly impossible in this life, to purge ourselves. That is why Paul says in Colossians 1:24 something that used to baffle me, Colossians 1:24, “Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake.” Masochist? No. In a sense, he is the opportunist. He is the one who sees the ultimate rewards. “I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of His body that is the Church.”

Now does he mean that Christ died a little too quickly? He needed a few more hours? No. It means that Christ’s suffering and death must be reproduced and filled up in the Church and if some are slacking off, that means others must become more like victim-souls, willing to bear a greater burden, willing to shoulder with love, as Galatians 5 speaks about the love, “Love bears one another’s burdens.” We do that just as 1st John 5 speaks about how we can pray for others and get them back on track after their venial sins have been committed. So likewise we can suffer on behalf of others. That’s what fathers and mothers do all the time. And God calls us to do that in the supernatural family, as well, on behalf of our brothers and sisters and our spiritual children, as well. That’s what Paul takes for granted when he makes such an outlandish statement. Outlandish only for those who do not recognize the essential need for suffering.
…Christ has paid once and for all for our sin. His death is the ultimate satisfaction and price for our redemption, but His life and His death must be lived out in us. That’s why we need to pick up our cross, and we need to imitate Christ. Did you catch that? We don’t suffer because Christ’s sufferings weren’t enough. We suffer because Christ’s life must be reproduced in us. It is finished. It is accomplished, but now it must be applied. The work of the third person of the Holy Spirit is New Testament history, is personal history.

Yes that makes sense actually, thank you!

catholiceducation.org/en/religion-and-philosophy/apologetics/purgatory-holy-fire.html

We can’t even imagine what it’s like, but we have been granted the fiery Holy Spirit of love to enable us to do what would otherwise be humanly impossible in this life, to purge ourselves. That is why Paul says in Colossians 1:24 something that used to baffle me, Colossians 1:24, “Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake.” Masochist? No. In a sense, he is the opportunist. He is the one who sees the ultimate rewards. “I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of His body that is the Church.”

Now does he mean that Christ died a little too quickly? He needed a few more hours? No. It means that Christ’s suffering and death must be reproduced and filled up in the Church and if some are slacking off, that means others must become more like victim-souls, willing to bear a greater burden, willing to shoulder with love, as Galatians 5 speaks about the love, “Love bears one another’s burdens.” We do that just as 1st John 5 speaks about how we can pray for others and get them back on track after their venial sins have been committed. So likewise we can suffer on behalf of others. That’s what fathers and mothers do all the time. And God calls us to do that in the supernatural family, as well, on behalf of our brothers and sisters and our spiritual children, as well. That’s what Paul takes for granted when he makes such an outlandish statement. Outlandish only for those who do not recognize the essential need for suffering.
…Christ has paid once and for all for our sin. His death is the ultimate satisfaction and price for our redemption, but His life and His death must be lived out in us. That’s why we need to pick up our cross, and we need to imitate Christ. Did you catch that? We don’t suffer because Christ’s sufferings weren’t enough. We suffer because Christ’s life must be reproduced in us. It is finished. It is accomplished, but now it must be applied. The work of the third person of the Holy Spirit is New Testament history, is personal history.

I see, this post reminds me to pick up the book ‘the imitation of Christ’ . I see it is being reproduced in every generation.

True, thank you, I will remember that when i receive communion

Thank you! It makes sense, a call to emulate Christ!

Jesus sacrificed himself for us, so that we should sacrifice ourselves for one another

1 John 3:16 “We know love by this, that he laid down his life for us—and we ought to lay down our lives for one another.”

On judgment day, the whole world will see, that we gave our lives for the world, together with Christ.

Colossians 3:4 “When Christ who is your life is revealed, then you also will be revealed with him in glory.”

Our unification with Christ, is the centerpiece of it all. Without him we are nothing. In him we have it all.

Thank God !

We’re to follow Him, becoming like Him, to be light in this world ourselves…

Yes in the same sense he is the light of the world

Matthew 5:14 “You are the light of the world”
John 8:12 “I am the light of the world”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.