Is Jesus STILL human?

From what I understand, Incarnation means that Jesus was/is 100% human and 100% divine. I believe that is true while he walked on the earth but that after he died and rose from the dead, he is now only divine. He does not have ALL the properties of human now.

To be human to me means that you must be mortal. After death you can no longer die, therefore you do not have all the properties of human.

Can someone help me with this. So far my friends have just said that it is a “mystery”

Thanks

Well, the only problem piece here appears to be your definition of “human”.

Mortality is not a proper aspect of human nature. Before the Fall, our bodies were not mortal. It is only because of the Fall that we must suffer death, the separation of the body of the soul until the Last Judgement.

Further, humans who die do not cease to be human because they died. They still have human nature, but their body is temporarily separated from their soul.

So the answer to your question is: Human nature is not the cause of mortality, sin is. Jesus, therefore, even though He died on the cross for our sins, did not “lose” human nature, but is still human.

The Second Person of the Most Holy Trinity assumed human nature. This is known as the Incarnation. This is way different from becoming a human person. Please note that Jesus is always a Divine Person.

At the Sunday Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, the public Profession of Faith includes Christ’s “incarnate life” from birth to when “He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.”

God is three Persons in one nature. Jesus is one Person with two natures.

How about the testimony of Sacred Scripture?

“For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus . . .” 1 Timothy 2:5

Who said that humans must be mortal?
The Lord Jesus as a resurrected glorified *man *, is the promise of redeemed humanity’s destiny. He is the ultimate fulfillment of mankind…God’s ultimate plan for man…the eternal union of the divine and human natures.
Is Our Lady no longer a woman? She has the same glorified body that Our Lord has. On the last day all the saints will.

Human body, therefore human being.

Dear Blessedwithfive,

In the Divine Praises, a prayer approved by the Catholic Church, we say: “I believe in Jesus Christ, true God and true Man”. Thus, we can truly say that he has both a human and a divine nature.

To look at it from another angle: if one of us Catholics dies in the state of grace, then after the required period of purgation, he shall be granted entry to Heaven. However, he remains human in essence.

Actually, didnt Mary ascend to heaven in her earthly body? I do not think she has what can be called a glorified body in that sense. she was one of 3 humans who went to heaven and are still there in their earthly body, other 2 are Enoch and I believe Elisha (may be wrong name on him?)

1 Tim 2: 5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, the testimony to which was borne at the proper time.

Jesus is resurrected in a glorified body, which we also look forward to on the resurrection.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene

She was assumed into Heaven.

Regarding the Hypostatic Union: “What God has joined together, let not man rend asunder.”

I don’t see why she (and Enoch and Elijah) could not have been “changed in the twinkling of an eye” upon Assumption, given their glorified forms just as those alive at the Second Coming will be.

A bit of an odd application of that scripture verse, don’t you think?

In a traditional Christian understanding (the Eastern Church is especially good on this), Jesus transforms what it means to be human by defeating death and uniting human nature to the Divine Nature. Death is swallowed up in immortality, but that doesn’t destroy our humanity, because mortality is only part of our mortality because of our separation from God.

So what happened to their earthly bodies?

Mary did NOT ascend. She was assumed into Heaven. Absolutely different from ascending.

One is active; the other is passive. Only God Himself could ascend.

Also [Acts17:31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness **by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

If Christ were not still human, he could not mediate on behalf of the human race as its high priest. But he does so mediate. Therefore.

Secondly, the Church has long understood the union of Christ’s natures to foreshadow the our union with God in the beatific vision. But if Christ’s humanity is eradicated in some way in His Ascension, what does this say about our humanity? We would cease to be human. But since we are human, we would cease to be all together. Clearly that is false.

Indeed, Christ’s humanity does not have many of the limitations of our own bodies. But those limitations are not what define being human.

Lastly, if you suspect something might be against the Faith, then do not believe it until you are sure it isn’t.

whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.