Is Jesus still suffering for our sins?

In prayer today, Jesus allowed me to experience in a very deep and personal way, how my uncharitable acts deepen His wounds even more. This was something I knew on an intellectual basis–and so of course, I am always sorry for my sins–but after what just happened, I feel a sense of sorrow and remorse for my failures unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. What I now know, is that each one of my sins, quite literally, make His wounds more painful and make Him suffer more.

Does my experience in any way contradict Church teaching? I am a convert, so although I think I have all the concepts, sometimes I realize that I have missed some of the fine details that those with 12 years of religious education have.

No. Jesus died for all our sins once. He is now seated at the right hand of God the Father. He will come again, but that will be to judge the living and the dead. The pain Jesus suffered for our sins was once. It is not a continuous, physical, painful process for our Lord.

Jesus is not still suffering, he suffered, “For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit,” 1 Peter 3:18

It is true though, and frightening, that every single sin we commit added to the pain Jesus suffered that day, physically and spiritually, but He doesn’t feel that pain each time
He is seated at the right hand of the Father, “But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God,” being seated means His priestly work is complete.

Jesus’s is still suffering and sadly will suffer until the world sins no more. In the garden of olives the night before Jesus suffered He prayed fervently for us until His sweat became like drops of blood! Our Lords soul suffered the most dreadful loathing in the garden of olives because of lukewarm souls…with Jesus being the Son of God He knows everything and he suffered so much in the garden mainly because he saw all the sins in the world. I personally think if we try our best and do what Jesus asked that’s the best we can do…the world at present is so against Jesus with governments, famous people etc mocking and trying to do the exact opposite to what God wants. I hope this might help you feel better…think on what Jesus said on the cross “I thirst” Jesus wasn’t really referring to a drink he thirsts for us to love Him! I say various times “My Lord and My God” or “Jesus I love you or Jesus I trust in you” and sometimes I feel an overwhelming feeling come over me like I want to cry after saying it. I think it’s Jesus letting me know

You ask a question in the subject, but then give an answer and not a question. Since our Church was the Church that gave the world the Bible, I fail to see what you’re getting at.:shrug:

I don’t think He suffers personally now, as He already had suffered for them on the Cross. On the other hand, He sacrifices Himself in the Eucharist for us, over and over, which is not a new suffering, but an actualization of the same suffering over and over.

Basically, what You are describing, sounds very similar to the Sacred Heart devotion. It is the Love of Jesus for us, which is rejected over and over, but which He pours again and again.

Then a couple things…

How does this reconcile with the clear Scripture that Jesus suffered once for all?

How is suffering even possible when Jesus’ body is glorified?

No takes for the “eternal now”?

:thumbsup:

Jesus ascended to the Father in heaven. Heaven is a place of perfect happiness. How can suffering exist in a place of perfect happiness?

I’m fond of it, but not taking it for this one.

Jesus suffered once for all. His temporal, physical suffering is over. That said, he felt then the sins of all that had been and would come. So yes, our sins today added (past tense) to his suffering. And even then, as a bodily being and fully man, I think he can experience sadness still for those who continue to reject him.

There is a measure of healthy guilt we should feel, imo. But we should feel his love and compassion for us ever so much more and overall take joy and comfort in it.

Yes heaven is a place of perfect happiness, but don’t you think when people mock or take Jesus’ name in vain it hurts Him? If the church he established is being persecuted? People make little of the Eucharist? Just a few examples…

I believe that is what was communicated to me, and I may have expressed my question badly. It was very vivid: that I HURT HIM every time I am uncharitable and it made me understand how awful sin is, in a way I never have before… in my heart and soul, not just my mind.

I think we need to establish that there is a difference between Jesus suffering for our sins and God’s holy indignation for sin. Jesus suffered for our sins once and for all as has been established by so many, but God still has a righteous anger for sin. that is a different thing altogether.

Our Lady at Fatima said “People must amend their lives and ask pardon for their sins. They must not offend our Lord any more, for He is already too much offended”!

I'd say that's a form of suffering.

Yes, each time we sin, we crucify him anew:

catholic.com/quickquestions/does-jesus-suffer-each-time-we-sin

Thank you… I did actually try to find something in the Catechism before I posted, but was not successful. Really appreciate this documentation.

Well that is incredibly strange, it seems to contradict the clear teaching of scripture.
“We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him.” Romans 6:9

I can only imagine that St Francis was speaking in a figurative way. Jesus does not die every time we sin! But it is true that the “wages of sin is death” and every sin would have resulted in death if it was not for the death of Jesus. Every time we receive forgiveness of sin Christ had to die in order for us to receive that forgiveness. I think this is the only way to understand St Francis without contradicting Scripture.

I believe this and I also think that in the Garden of Gethsemane when Jesus prayed take this cup from me…he was looking forward at all of our sins–it seems impossible, but nothing is impossible for God–he saw each one of our sins and thus he sweated blood…what a heavy load it was to carry…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.