Is John 1 accusing protestants of being antichrists?

16 For all that is in the world, is the concupiscence of the flesh, and the concupiscence of the eyes, and the pride of life, which is not of the Father, but is of the world. 17 And the world passeth away, and the concupiscence thereof: but he that doth the will of God, abideth for ever. 18 Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that Antichrist cometh, even now there are become many Antichrists: whereby we know that it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us, but they were not of us. For if they had been of us, they would no doubt have remained with us; but that they may be manifest, that they are not all of us. 20 But you have the unction from the Holy One, and know all things

I’m a tad confused with this paragraph, as I was reading it, I started imagining that John was warning of the divisions in the Church.

I’m probably reading this wrong and I’d appreciate if someone told me what this really means. Let me tell you what I think John is saying.

They went out from us, but the were not of us: They were part of our Church, but really they weren’t because they were separating themselves,

Then I believe that John is saying that The Church (us) has the blessing from Jesus (Holy Spirit) therefore we KNOW how to discern what is true in the faith.

Please correct my faulty interpretation.

Nevermind guys, I think I must have read into it KINDA right because I read further and the “notes” descrbed just about the way I read it.

I was looking for a certain passage in the Douay Rhimes bible online, when I came across this passage. I read it, then was stumped as to what the true meaning of it could be (Impossible for ME to actually read into it correctly, that’s just NOT me).

I came here with my question, then afterwards went back to the online bible, where DUH! In red, the meaning of certain passages are explained.

My interpretation was perhaps a tad harsh, but it was fairly close!

If anyone has comments, I would love to hear them.

No, I think your on the right track. Many false teachers arose n St. John’s day. They were distinguished by their thirst to “draw away followers after them.” (Acts 20:30) They always led their fllowers out of the visible communion of the Church which Christ founded to safeguard the truth. (1 John 1; Eph 4:11-14). The Church is founded upon the truth… no false teachings can long abide among the apostoic succession.

And you are right… the Protestant Reformation (and also Marcionites, Nestorians, and other Heretics/Schismatics) represent the many teachers who no longer could abide within the unity of the Church. centered since antiquity in Rome. By choice, or more likely by excommunication, they were ejected out of the visible communion. Rather than repent, many deluded their followers into believing that they were called by God to form a new, “pure” Church organization…

Alas,
“And upon this rock I will build MY Church, and the gates of hell shall NEVER prevail aginst it.” - Mathew 16:18

Credo in UNAM, SANCTAM, CATHOLICAM, ET APOTOLICAM ECCLESIAM

Are you refering to 1st John or the Gospel of John? Neither reads as your quote did.

From my Douay-Rhiems, the Gospel of John Chapter 1 , verses 16 - 18 are refering to the fact that the followers of Jesus can be Jews and all the other nations too. It has nothing to do with Protestants.

In fact I would guess my Bibles do not mention Protestants. We didn’t have Protestants until about 1500.

I was refering to this:

drbo.org/cgi-bin/d?b=drb&bk=69&ch=2&l=16&f=s#x

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.