Is joining a college fraternity the same as becoming a Freemason?

Most college fraternities require members to take an oath of secrecy. Most also have lots of symbols and insignia which carry greater significance. Usually, they advocate generic principles of good character.

This seems to be similar in format to Masonic societies.

[Note: I am not asking about external temptations resulting from Greek societies, like drinking and sex. **I am asking whether or not it is intrinsically harmful for a Catholic to take an oath in one of these societies.

[quote="Profundus, post:1, topic:276569"]
Most college fraternities require members to take an oath of secrecy. Most also have lots of symbols and insignia which carry greater significance. Usually, they advocate generic principles of good character.

This seems to be similar in format to Masonic societies.

[Note: I am not asking about external temptations resulting from Greek societies, like drinking and sex. **I am asking whether or not it is intrinsically harmful for a Catholic to take an oath in one of these societies.

[/quote]

It seems to me as long as you're not pledging anything that supercedes obeying your Faith it's relatively harmless.

What about joining the College Campus Catholic Ministry? FOCUS could help steer you there. Is there a Newman Association? How about starting one? I'm not trying to place a damper on your social life. If you're a serious student, I doubt you have much time to play around anyway. If you're active in the Campus Chapel/Catholic Association, I can't imagine you having any time for a fraternity besides. I guess it depends on how seriously you take your identity as a Catholic? Christ said the world would hate us as it hated Him.

If there is no Catholic presence on campus, a local parish could have a youth group where you could help out/participate in.

My best advice: Do whatever you need to to preserve your faith in four years. Losing it negates any gain from attending college. Blessings!

Amen,

Anyway,

Its group peer pressure in encouraging a person to change his or her attitudes, values, or behavior in order to conform to the group. Go along to get along through the need one has to be accepted. You should be accepted because you are part of the human race. The remedy for feeling lonely is quoted above.

Not to say its all bad, however I would be fully aware of what I was getting involved with. Or you will find yourself in some awkward situations by anothers doing. There’s enough awkward situations in life, I wouldn’t add to the pile.

Peace

I think the largest problem the Church has with Freemasonry is its indifferent deist view, the "I'm okay, you're okay" of other faiths. Most fraternities (and the one I joined during college) don't carry this component.

Masonry is a parallel religion to Christianity. The states, "Freemasonry displays all the elements of religion, and as such it becomes a rival to the religion of the Gospel. It includes temples and altars, prayers, a moral code, worship, vestments, feast days, the promise of reward and punishment in the afterlife, a hierarchy, and initiative and burial rites" (vol. 6, p. 137).

Or you will find yourself in some awkward situations by anothers doing. There's enough awkward situations in http://www.filii.info/g.giflife, I wouldn't add to the pile.

Faith and morals is the domain of the Catholic Church. The authority to administer oaths on behalf of God on matters of faith and morals has been granted to the Catholic Church only.

If a fraternity, freemasons, or any other organization acts on behalf of God and asks you to take an oath on matters of God, they are acting outside of their authority, because that authority has been given to the Church alone.

You have to ask yourself what the oath is about and if the fraternity is acting on behalf of God.

-Tim-

[quote="GaryTaylor, post:3, topic:276569"]
Amen,

Anyway,

Its group peer pressure in encouraging a person to change his or her attitudes, values, or behavior in order to conform to the group. Go along to get along through the need one has to be accepted. You should be accepted because you are part of the human race. The remedy for feeling lonely is quoted above.

Not to say its all bad, however I would be fully aware of what I was getting involved with. Or you will find yourself in some awkward situations by anothers doing. There's enough awkward situations in life, I wouldn't add to the pile.

Peace

[/quote]

If one is looking fr a fraternity worth being a part of, which fulfills what you say here, Gary, Alpha Phi Omega, the National Service Fraternity, is worth a look.
apo.org/show/Guest_Home

And to the OP, btw, there is no pledge that in any way compromises one's faith.

Jon

Go along to get along through the need one has to be accepted. You should be accepted because you are part of the human race.http://www.filii.info/g.gif

I've read a response on a similar question from the catholic super site.
Run by a Brother who answered a question in reply to a church member who joined
Kapa theta or something. The person posted the ritual and asked about it contradicting the faith being that he had to take blood oaths, and thus is not compliant with the Catholic faith. I do not know if this warrants ex communication as such that the Freemasonry does.
Look at the bright side though, at least the fraternities keep all the instructors test on file.
So you'll always have a leg up in the school game. I think if the Catholic church actually offered real fellowship and support for a community of members then Catholics wouldn't even bother with fraternities and such. Being your already apart of the best organization on the face of the earth

Cheers! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.