Is Joshua 23:6 teachng Sola Scriptura?

Joshua 23:6 - Only take courage, and be careful to observe all things that are written in the book of the law of Moses: and turn not aside from them neither to the right hand nor to the left:

Is that teaching sola scriptura? As a Catholic, I believe it’s not, but I was wondering how some of you would respond to that if you were challenged with that verse?

I would answer by saying that if Joshua was teaching sola scriptura there, he is teaching to go by the five books of Moses alone, and that would automatically discount the rest of Scripture. Who gets the authority to add books after the books of Moses if the books of Moses is our final authority.

That is the obvious answer, but what I’m hoping for help in is, why did Joshua say it like that? What did he really mean?

I think, like the verse in Timothy, it says to heed the Scripture. It says nothing about ignoring everything else.

If you are going on a trip and I tell you to heed the maps, it doesn’t mean you should ignore the street signs and traffic advisories. :wink:

“Observe all things”. I notice it doesn’t say “Observe ONLY the things”.

Plus if it’s only the laws of Moses, then we’d only have scripture that’s five books long. I think that’s called the Torah, right?

Joshua and before him Moses was actually the leader (Num 27:18-23), similar to the Pope. In fact Korah’s rebellion in Num 16 supports this and hurts sola scriptura.

Also if you do a word search for “priest” and “judge” you will see the Law talked about them all the time, including times when disputes arose and a person in authority, not sola scriptura, had to decide the right answer. And places like 1 Sam 28:6 say “dreams or Urim or prophets” are valid means of leaders getting information from God.

So no it doesnt point to sola scriptura, because it nowhere leaves the individual reading Scripture for themselves.

Note Deuteronomy 4:2

[FONT=Georgia]You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it; that you may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

The Saducees were right!:smiley: [/FONT]

My thoughts exactly! Time to convert!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.