Is Judas in hell?

I was looking at another thread involving John 17 and came across this…

NIV

12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

NASB

12 While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your name which You have given Me; and I guarded them and not one of them perished but the son of perdition, so that the Scripture would be fulfilled.

Douay-Rheims

12 While I was with them, I kept them in thy name. Those whom thou gavest me have I kept; and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition, that the scripture may be fulfilled.

Is this in reference to Judas?

From this can we say that Judas is in hell? Since it Jesus says “doomed to destruction”.

The Church has not declared anyone in hell, not even Judas.

Jesus was referring to prophecy when he made that statement. He have been may referring to Judas’ soul or he may merely have been referring to Judas’ death by suicide and his being eliminated as one of the Apostles (which is why his office was refilled in Acts 1).

We cannot know whether or not Judas made a perfect act of contrition before his last breath. Only God knows that.

I do not think the Church has officially cast Judas into Hell.

Personally, I read these passages as saying he is in Hell.

But then again, I am not a sola scriptura believer.

When and if the Church says he is, (or is not) I will go with the decision.
I wont hold my breath for that to be defined though.

Since Jesus is referring to all of his sheep - everyone entrusted to Him by the Father - it’s reasonable to assume that the line,

"None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction,"

is a generalization referring to ALL who are lost. Reading “Judas” into this is tempting (no pun intended), however, no one but the Lord knows the disposition of Judas’ soul when he breathed his last, hanging from that tree. Since even the criminal on the cross could be saved, it’s possible Judas was, too. Unfortunately, we don’t have any biblical evidence that he repented of his despair while he was in the death throes of his suicide. We know he repented of the betrayal, but the despairing of Jesus’ mercy is the greater sin when all is said and done.

Only according to Dante!

Thanks for the responses

I was just curious.

I figured as much since I didnt remember the Church saying he was in hell. I am NOT a sola scripture kinda fella. Just gotta ask a question once in awhile.

:wink:

The Church has no Authority to declare anyone is, or isn’t in Hell.

But there is very little reason to believe that Judas is NOT in Hell.

Mark 14:21

“For the Son of Man is to go just as it is written of Him; but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born.”

Now if Judas was going to be spending eternity in Paradise, that verse would make little sense.

The Church does not cast anybody into Hell.
People choose to go to Hell by rejecting God!

Thank you for telling me what I already know! :slight_smile:

See Crossing the Threshold of Hope DOES “ETERNAL LIFE” EXIST? by Pope John Paul II.

Even when Jesus says of Judas, the traitor, “It would be better for that man if he had never been born” (Mt 26:24), His words do not allude for certain to eternal damnation.

Note that this is not an official teaching by the pope, but his reflections as a theologian.

“Son of Perdition” that title is used later on in the NT to describe the “anti-christ”.

Yes it’s possibly referred to here to mean “Judas” but it really means anyone who rejects Jesus and quite often means the coming “anti-christ” specifically when used later on in the NT.

I have to agree with Brendan. This verse seems pretty conclusive. Jesus KNOWS whether or not Judas with repent, and this verse indicates strongly he won’t.

God Bless

we can’t say if someone goes to hell or not. We don’t know their state of mind.

:slight_smile:

The Son of Man will die, just as the Scriptures say. But it is going to be terrible for the one who betrays me. That man would be better off if he had never been born.
(Mark 14:12)

How much is terrible? Is it to commit suicide terrible enough? But the apostels also made arguments about this subject. Personally, I would say… God is mercy. And if Judas went to heaven, Judas would be the best example of God mercy. But what was the last thing that goes trough Judas’ mind when he commit suicide?

We don’t know…

But Jesus taught forgiveness, and to love even an enemy. So, if Jesus sended Judas to hell. It could also be with a verry special purpose… because Jesus was dead for three days… Jesus could spended three earthdays in hell, with judas, to do somekind of miracles.

But we can’t be sure while we still live on earth.

“For the man who has had no mercy will be judged without mercy, but mercy takes pride in overcoming judging.”
(James 2:13)

To begin with, I’m not at all sure about hell. I doubt if it is a fiery pit where sinners spend eternity roasting.

Now, as for Judas. He certainly repented in a most penitent fashion. More than that, he apparently had been 'assigned' by God to betray Jesus, as that was a required part of the scenario. It doesn't appear that he had free will at that point. In Ethiopia, I understand, he is seen as a saint for his role in assuring our salvation.

There are various other theories. One that has attracted me a bit is that Judas was impatient with Jesus and the coming of the Kingdom. He was sure that if Jesus were confronted by the authorities he had the power to outwit them and would do so. Or, this confrontation might make Christ hurry and bring in the Kingdom. 

As I envision God, my guess that He saves most repentant sinners, probably even Judas. But we'll have to wait to find out. I'm in no hurry.

what was jesus word on the cross? that answer your question. “I think”
…"“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.”

[quote="lorathon, post:1, topic:74782"]
I was looking at another thread involving John 17 and came across this..

NIV

NASB

Douay-Rheims

Is this in reference to Judas?

From this can we say that Judas is in hell? Since it Jesus says "doomed to destruction".

[/quote]

I am so sorry about Juda.
Someone needed to betry Jesus, and I am glad that was not me.

If Judas, even though he betrayed Jesus had begged for forgiveness he would have had it but as he hanged himself he is now lost.

If Judas, after betraying Jesus and hanging himself were not in hell I would wonder if the average person would have to worry about hell at all.

Jesus did say:

"The Son of man is going to his fate, as the scriptures say he will, but alas for that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! Better for that man if he had never been born!’

Matthew 26:24.

[quote="Roy5, post:15, topic:74782"]
There are various other theories. One that has attracted me a bit is that Judas was impatient with Jesus and the coming of the Kingdom. He was sure that if Jesus were confronted by the authorities he had the power to outwit them and would do so. Or, this confrontation might make Christ hurry and bring in the Kingdom.

As I envision God, my guess that He saves most repentant sinners, probably even Judas. But we'll have to wait to find out. I'm in no hurry.

[/quote]

Remember when reading this that there is a clear distinction in my mind between Jews and Zionists. But I worry that many of the Christian and Jewish Zionists could be doing what Judas may have been doing and try to force Gods hand and just like with Judas things didn't go quite the way they thought :(

[quote="Nelka, post:18, topic:74782"]
If Judas, even though he betrayed Jesus had begged for forgiveness he would have had it but as he hanged himself he is now lost.

If Judas, after betraying Jesus and hanging himself were not in hell I would wonder if the average person would have to worry about hell at all.

Jesus did say:

"The Son of man is going to his fate, as the scriptures say he will, but alas for that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! Better for that man if he had never been born!'

Matthew 26:24.

[/quote]

In Crossing the Threshold of Hope Pope John Paul II states that this does not bode well for Judas, but cannot be taken as definite proof that he is in Hell. Note that this book contains his expert opinions as a theologian, not official teachings as Pope.}

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.