Is Judas Iscariot in Hell?

The following is an excerpt from Jimmy Akin’s book A Daily Defense regarding Judas’ death:

Judas probably began accompanying Jesus while in his twenties (Jesus himself began his ministry when about thirty; Luke 3:23). This suggests Judas died a sudden and remarkable death (i.e., not an ordinary death due to old age). Matthew’s report of his suicidal hanging accounts for this, leaving us to explain Luke’s reference to him falling and bursting open.

The earliest explanation is found in the second-century historian Papias, who wrote around A.D. 120. His works are lost but partially preserved in other writers. According to the fourth-century writer Apollinarius of Laodicea, Judas survived the hanging by being cut down before he choked to death, but he quotes Papias as saying Judas suffered severe swelling (edema) of the head and body, eventually causing him to burst open (see Monte Shanks, Papias and the New Testament, chapter 4, fragment 6). We now know that edema of the neck and body can be a consequence of strangulation, so Papias’s account may be based in fact.

Now this seems to open the possibility that Judas attempted to hang himself, yet the rope slipped, and he later died of an edema. If this is how it went down, it’s possible that Judas realized he was wrong and repented, but died afterward from the edema.

We can look to Matthew 26:24 which indicates that Judas’ story does not end well, to say the least. So what is everyone’s opinion on this? Is there any evidence to suggest that Judas is indeed in Hell?

No one knows but God.
Leave Him to it.
There’s no evidence to suggest that he suffered from mental illness.
He simply believed he was unforgivable.

THAT is the lesson.

:thumbsup:

Even though Judas is the gravest sinner, in Christian teaching, the Church has never taught definitively that he, or any other individual, is in Hell. We do not know.

I was always taught that we’re not supposed to speculate about someone’s eternal fate but rather that we were simply supposed to pray, hope, and trust. On a personal note, I don’t want to think about that kind of thing, not even for Bin Laden, Stalin, Pol Pot, Pilate… Sister Lucia’s vision of Hell is already too much for my heart and mind.

As we do not and cannot know the state of a person’s soul at death obviously there is no evidence!

ONLY GOD KNOWS, not us so there is little point in speculating.

I agree that we cannot know these things on our own, and what happened to Judas at the hour of his death. But it does not look good from Scripture.
John 17
And now I am no more in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to thee. Holy Father, keep them in thy name, which thou hast given me, that they may be one, even as we are one.*While I was with them, I kept them in thy name, which thou hast given me; I have guarded them, and none of them is lost but the son of perdition, that the scripture might be fulfilled.

For Jesus, in prayer, to talk to the Father about one of His Apostles being “lost” and the “son of perdition”, does not leave much room for hope.

Hell? For doing something that was preordained and necessary?

Anyone, disciple or not, could have betrayed him. He was controversial and lots of people, especially the Jewish establishment, were out to get him.

I mean, Jesus could have been stabbed in a dark alley, run over by a chariot, died of old age – any of these, and still been resurrected, but the message would not have been the same.

It was crucial that he was killed by those he came to save, and that one of his own betrayed him. There’s your story. There’s your poignancy.

If Judas is in hell for this, divine justice is out of tune.

For all we know, Hitler, Stalin, Nero, The Pharisees who killed Jesus, could all be in Heaven. Hell could be empty for all we know. Like others have said, leave it to God. Only he knows.:slight_smile:

Can I ask you what you think the “son of perdition” means?

I agree. Jesus also said this about Judas.

Mark 14:21

21 For the Son of Man indeed goes, as it is written of him,[a] but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed. It would be better for that man if he had never been born.”

It was NOT preordained.
People have a choice, and always will.
Some choose poorly.

Dear Friends

I have to agree with you all, We will truly never know if Judas is in Hell or has been forgiven by Christ

In my personal opinion, I hope Judas has been forgiven. Regardless of our views on the morality of Judas, Jesus still chose Judas to be an Apostle that simply tells us Judas must have been a special person to be selected for this role.

We are humans, the moment our first parents sinned, the battle began. The devil entered, and throughout the generations, it has been a battle, a struggle, the world filled with more and more temptations for us all to fail in our quest to become fully united with God.

The apostles were only humans just like us. Judas was still a human being who also had to battle through life just like us. We all make mistakes.

There is no offense, however serious that god cannot forgive, provided that Judas has genuinely repented for what he has done. He may have to spend some time in purgatory. but if Judas has repented honestly, then I’m sure god can forgive.

As a Christian, I can only pray for the soul of Judas, the rest is up to god.

God bless us all, and may Our lady Pray for us.

I agree. You don’t get called “son of perdition” for nothing.

This is inaccurate. Jesus didn’t die on the cross to match scriptures, the scriptures reflected that, as a result of our free choices, Jesus would die on the cross. You have to remember that God is outside of time. What we see as predictions are closer to God relating what does occur to the author. We use words like “fulfilled” because from our perspective that’s what happened; but that’s not a technically accurate description of what happens. This is something our limited, time-based minds simply cannot comprehend.

Had Jesus been, say, driven through with a pike, and that’s what killed Him, the OT would have reflected that reality. Had He been burned alive, they would have reflected that reality. Instead, to illustrate the depth of His love for us, Christ chose to be born into the world at a particular time when arguably the absolute worst form of execution was being practiced. He died via Crucifixion, and the scriptures reflected that fact.

Judas did not have to betray Christ. The Jewish leadership was working constantly to find a way to have Him put to death. Since His death was necessary, we know that they would have found a way one way or another. As such, Judas’ involvement and betrayal were not necessary. He chose to betrayal Jesus. We cannot know why, and are probably better of not speculating on it, but the why does not diminish the choice.

If Judas is in Hell, it’s because he either did not seek, or did not accept, forgiveness for his transgression. Had he sought forgiveness, it would have been granted.so, much like the decision to betray Jesus, Judas’ final destination is the result of his free act of will.

tl;dr: You are reversing the causality of scripture. Jesus didn’t do what He did because OT scripture said that’s what he should do; OT scripture says what it does because that’s what Jesus did. It’s a sort of chicken/egg thing that we can’t really comprehend due to our existence within the flow of time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.