Is keeping your religion "private" a sin?

I wasn’t born in an actually christian family. My father is a christian but not that devoted. He believes in God mostly goes to church on important days,…but he isn’t actually that devoted. My mother believes in something good but i think she doesn’t believe in the christian God. I gained my faith trough my father but mostly alone. At one point i started praying every night. I did this for some years. Until the fall of 2012 when i became more religious. I started praying for more than 20 minutes sometimes even as far as hour and a half i believe. But it was hard for me because praying isn’t excatly normal for a boy my age, well at least in my society. Some of my schoolmates are religius but i believe most don’t believe in God. So when my mom started seeing me praying she was frightened that i might be in depression because i believe she thought that is why most become so religious. So i don’t like to talk about . I do my thanksgiving before a meal to God in my head. I pray before sleep in private and i don’t like to talk about my faith. Don’t get me wrong i want to defend my faith and everybody can know im a christian. Is just that people think its weird if you pray at night and things like that, at least in my society. So i try to hide that and everytime my mom comes to my room when i pray i stop for a while. Im proud of being a christian and God is No.1 in my life but i prefer to keep my religion “things” private. Not for private ears or eyes. Is that a sin?

The Church is a family, not a business selling a product. We connect with people where they are.

Out of charity we try to help our neighbor to get to Heaven, yes. But preaching and praying in front of them is not the only way to help them do this. In fact, it may do more harm than good, depending on our abilities and where they are. Individual vocal prayer should generally be done in private anyway.

After Jesus said not to hide your light, he said: “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” Mt. 5:16

Good works, meaning charity. Show charity to them. Pray for them. You don’t have to be “in their face,” but don’t let their antagonism hinder the living out of your faith either.

Jesus also said, go pray in your room and close the door, that your Father in heaven sees,

I dont know if it was Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John, but its in the bible.

Its between you and God and Jesus and the Holy spirit. They already know your prayers in your heart.

I say an entire Rosary in my head, not outwardly.

Peace, and welcome

Found it!!! Matthew 6:5-6

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your father who sees in secret will reward you”

And the rest goes on where Jesus tells us how to pray…

Most evenings, I just open the bible to a random page in the New Testament area, ( I let God pick the page) and read both the left side and right side and try to digest what He is saying… This is called contemplative prayer… read and let God speak to you… its my favorite kind of prayer…

Good luck…

Yes, I was about to post that, but you beat me to it.

I recommend reading all of Matthew Chapter 6. There is a lot there that we can use in our lives.

Of course, the point of Matthew 6 is to tell people to not be, “Hey, look at me! I’m praying! I’m fasting! I’m giving alms! See, I’m a pious and holy person!” The inner room can be taken to mean “The inner room of one’s heart”. The point is, you should be comfortable praying wherever you are, but don’t be all “Look at me!” Don’t pray to draw attention to yourself, but don’t feel embarrased about praying in public, either. Besides, the 1st amendment to the US Constitution gives us the freedom to fully practice our religions no matter where we are, and one of the ways people practice their religions (regardless of religion) is prayer. If you feel compelled to pray, then pray.

In fact, make your life a prayer. St. Paul mentioned this many times in his letters. For example, Ephesians 6:18a: “With all prayer and supplication, PRAY AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY in the Spirit” [RNAB]; Phillipians 4:6: “Have no anxiety at all, but IN EVERYTHING, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God.” [RNAB]; Colossians 4:2: “Persevere in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving” [RNAB]; 1 Thessalonians 5:17: “Pray without ceasing” [RNAB].

… but please note, the OP lives not in US but in Slovenia. I don’t know what the local customs are, don’t know how accepting family, neighbors, employers are, or the possible consequences of making a display of faith. Therefore, I would leave this decision up to the OP.

Timi Celcer, I give thanks and praise to God for your growing faith, your prayer habits, and your participation in this forum. May the Holy Spirit bless you and guide you in your faith journey.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.