Is knowingly swallowing small fragments of food still in one's mouth considered breaking the Communion fast?

What the title says. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

—Soler

No, it does not break the fast. What does break the fast is actually eating and drinking, that is, putting food or beverage (other than water or medicine) into your mouth and swallowing. Since you did not actually put those fragments into your mouth during the hour before Communion, they do not break the fast.

It is important to avoid an overly legalistic approach to this. The fast is really to prepare our hearts to receive Holy Communion by a small discipline. So by all means, follow the rule, but don’t get upset by a tiny crumb in your mouth or a minute or two on the clock.

Betsy

We should be on the lookout for scrupulosity. See: mission.liguori.org/newsletters/scrupulosity.htm

[FONT=Verdana][size=2]4. You shall not worry about breaking your fast before receiving communion, unless you actually put food and drink in your mouth and swallow it in the same way that a person does when eating a meal.

[/size]

Much of the anxiety that is present in reference to breaking your fast before communion centers around extraneous matters. It is helpful to remember that lipstick is not food. Snowflakes are not food. You cannot break you fast unless you deliberately choose to eat in the same way that you would choose to eat a meal or a snack. The commandment clearly suggests that no hesitations are allowed regarding accidental swallowing of things that are not considered food.
[/FONT]**

Thanks to both of you! :thumbsup:

—Soler.

Hi,

I was also told that if you forget, and accidently take something, you don’t need to abstain from Holy Communion.

I still remember an incident when I was a young child—shortly after I had made my First Communion. I was making my lunch sandwich, and forgot we were going to Mass from class. I dropped a little jelly on the table, and picked it up with my finger and licked it off my finger. I was devastated when I remembered, and stayed in the pew when my class went for Communion. I was crying when the nun questioned me, so she just said don’t worry. Much later, I was told that this was not intentional, and I could have received—priorities—as in missing Mass to help someone in need.

Peace

Lux

As an adult you are obliged to remember. If you forget and break the fast you should not go for communion.

Hi,

Well that is not what my pastor told me. He said receiving Communion is more important than a mistaken small miss of the fast law.

(I’m not talking about eating a meal—this was a smear of jelly on my finger.)

Lux

Yes. We must fast to prepare to recieve Christ. Sometimes I do that but you have to fast its very imprtant.

Hi,

I agree it is importantant, but receiving Jesus is far more important, and I wouldn’t let a momentary lapse in memory prevent it. Certainly, I would try to ensure that it didn’t happen again, but would not refrain from communion because of this. (and my pastor did counsel me on this)

Lux

No, but watch out for scrupulosity.

Yes an accidental molecule of food is one thing but the way you wrote it it could have been stretched to an accidental meal.

This was my post–I really can’t agree with you-

I was also told that if you forget, and accidently take something, you don’t need to abstain from Holy Communion.

I still remember an incident when I was a young child—shortly after I had made my First Communion. I was making my lunch sandwich, and forgot we were going to Mass from class. I dropped a little jelly on the table, and picked it up with my finger and licked it off my finger. I was devastated when I remembered, and stayed in the pew when my class went for Communion. I was crying when the nun questioned me, so she just said don’t worry. Much later, I was told that this was not intentional, and I could have received—priorities—as in missing Mass to help someone in need.

How could you think “take something” could be interpreted as “eat a meal”? (especially if you read the entire post)??

Lux

It’s how I read it. Take something could mean- ate a bagel to someone who is reading.

I get it that you didn’t mean it but I know people who believe it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.