Is "Leitourgia" used in the Septuagint?

Is "Leitourgia" used in the Septuagint?

Also, is liturgy used in the Hebrew writings?

If so, how?

Yes, e.g. Luke 1:23:

And it came to pass, that, as soon as the days of his ministration were accomplished, he departed to his own house.

καὶ ἐγένετο ὡς ἐπλήσθησαν αἱ ἡμέραι τῆς λειτουργίας αὐτοῦ ἀπῆλθεν εἰς τὸν οἶκον αὐτοῦ

[quote="kkollwitz, post:2, topic:310339"]
Yes, e.g. Luke 1:23:

And it came to pass, that, as soon as the days of his ministration were accomplished, he departed to his own house.

καὶ ἐγένετο ὡς ἐπλήσθησαν αἱ ἡμέραι τῆς λειτουργίας αὐτοῦ ἀπῆλθεν εἰς τὸν οἶκον αὐτοῦ

[/quote]

That's in the New Testament. The OP was asking about the Old Testament.

Oh, that's right. Here you go, 2Chronicles 31:2

καὶ ἔταξεν ᾿Εζεκίας τὰς ἐφημερίας τῶν ἱερέων καὶ τῶν Λευιτῶν καὶ τὰς ἐφημερίας ἑκάστου κατὰ τὴν ἑαυτοῦ** λειτουργίαν** τοῖς ἱερεῦσι καὶ τοῖς Λευίταις εἰς τὴν ὁλοκαύτωσιν καὶ εἰς τὴν θυσίαν τοῦ σωτηρίου καὶ αἰνεῖν καὶ ἐξομολογεῖσθαι καὶ λειτουργεῖν ἐν ταῖς πύλαις ἐν ταῖς αὐλαῖς οἴκου Κυρίου.

2 And Ezekias appointed the courses of the priests and the Levites, and the courses of each one according to his** ministry**, to the priests and to the Levites, for the whole-burnt-offering, and for the peace-offering, and to praise, and to give thanks, and **to minister **in the gates, [and] in the courts of the house of the Lord.

From Exodus:

12 Τὸ δὲ λοιπὸν χρυσίον τοῦ ἀφαιρέματος ἐποίησαν σκεύη εἰς τὸ λειτουργεῖν *ἐν αὐτοῖς ἔναντι Κυρίου. 13 καὶ τὴν καταλειφθεῖσαν ὑάκινθον καὶ πορφύραν καὶ τὸ κόκκινον ἐποίησαν στολὰς *λειτουργικὰς ᾿Ααρών, ὥστε *λειτουργεῖν *ἐν αὐταῖς ἐν τῷ ἁγίῳ.

12 And of the gold that remained of the offering they made vessels to minister with before the Lord. 13 And the blue that was left, and the purple, and the scarlet they made [into] garments of ministry for Aaron, so that he should **minister **with them in the sanctuary

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You people are absolutely great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is just what I needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, these aren't the only occasions in the OT, I just picked a couple of examples.

That is even better.

Generally speaking, the Hebrew word that was translated into the LXX and English as minister or ministry/liturgy be the same word in the other Hebrew Bible?

AGAIN–THANKS!!!

I'm no expert, but the Hebrew verb sharath means to serve or minister to. As far as I know when the serving/ ministering is in a religious context (that is, not serving at table, e.g.), the LXX translates it as λειτουργεῖν.

There's another OT verb, kahan, which literally means "to priest" (to do the work of a priest) based on the noun kohen, priest. It's translated as ἱερατεύειν (like in *hiera*rchy) which means "to priest" in Greek. I think it's only used to refer to what a priest (like Aaron) does in the Temple. I don't think there's any NT use of ἱερατεύειν except when Zechariah is doing his O.T. priestly duties in the Temple when Gabriel appears to him; and of course he's doing that before Jesus becomes our High Priest per the Book of Hebrews.

I'm interested in Hebrew-Greek language stuff, but am strictly amateur; so if anyone else can shed light on this please do.

Thanks, kkollwitz. :)

Thanks again!

I was hoping that "sharath" was used in Torah, too.

When I looked, there it was-----------------------For me, that is really helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am the OP!

I want to thank again all of those that have helped.

Next, I want to ask if the Hebrew *"sharath" *the Creation Accounts and the Covenants with Noah, Abraham, Moses, and King David?

I know that it is a monster of a question, but I do not have the time and energy to do the research.

THANKS!

What is in my mind is that the Covenants were public "wedding" vows by God with all human beings beginning with Adam and Eve.

[quote="Jim_Baur, post:11, topic:310339"]
I am the OP!

Next, I want to ask if the Hebrew *"sharath" *the Creation Accounts and the Covenants with Noah, Abraham, Moses, and King David?

I know that it is a monster of a question, but I do not have the time and energy to do the research.

THANKS!

What is in my mind is that the Covenants were public "wedding" vows by God with all human beings beginning with Adam and Eve.

[/quote]

Now that's a challenge!

Sharath is H8334 in Strong's concordance. A list of verses should appear on this page, below the definition (there are more pages of verse references at the bottom of the list).

A related word, Shareth, is H8335 in Strong's and has its verse list on this page.

There are other places where God refers to His relationship with Israel as a marriage. There is an "exchange of vows" of sorts in the establishment of the covenants, if that helps.

I made some typing mistakes in the earlier post--It is important for the sense that I was trying to state. So let me try again:

Next, I want to ask if the Hebrew *"sharath" is in *the Creation Accounts and the Covenants with Noah, Abraham, Moses, and King David? Is it used in other parts of the Sacred Scriptures when they talk about liturgy/minister and covenants.

I know that it is a monster of a question, but I do not have the time and energy to do the research. Most importantly, I do not have the language skills.

THANKS!

SonCatcher

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.