Is "Liberation Theology" heresy or in error?

Liberation Theology, from my understanding mixes Marxist ideologies with Catholic theologies or teachings.

I remember a few years back one many considered it a heresy…now I see it spoken about as a form of “social justice”

I live in Central America and I lived in Nicaragua and saw it used by the Sandinistas and certain Jesuits, among others,mostly on a devout but uneducated “campesino” (simple farmers) population.

It blended Marxist ideology ,with Catholic teachings about Jesus to fool the common folk that the Marxist Sandinistas were on the side of Jesus, or that their movement followed the “teachings of Jesus” therefore on the side of the campesinos.

But Marxism is one of the greatest enemies of the church…and communists views the Church (quite correctly, because it stands for truth, dignity of man and the salvation of his immortal; soul), as one of its greatest enemies.

My wife and I were forced to leave Nicaragua (she was born there), I,m from the USA.
And now reside in another Central American country.

I am confused about how the Church views and explains…’“liberation theology”…which
in the way I have seen it implement appears to be very wrong and perhaps heresy.
thank you.

The following link should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church’s teaching on Liberation Theology. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this link, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*]What is liberation theology?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.