Is liking the same gender a sin according to Roman Catholic Church?

Hi, I know the title might have surprised some Catholics:bigyikes: haha
I’m a Catholic high school student who have taken several theology classes.
One of my religion teachers was teaching us about homosexuals last year,
and he said Catholic Church does not consider liking the same gender as a sin.
If the homosexuals act upon it, then it IS a sin.
I found his comment somewhat controversial and interesting. :hmmm:
I want to know the real answer to this question.
Oh, and one more thing.
Our school was created by sisters and we have teachers who are nuns.
One day, students were talking about ghosts in school,
and one of the sisters told us in class that ghost/spiritual being exists.
I thought it was weird because it goes against the fundamental Catholic teaching of
Heaven & Hell. No soul remains in our world once we die… so ghost=doesn’t exist
I’m just really confused.:banghead:
I’m not trying to pick on homosexuals or people who believe in the existence of ghosts but
I really want to know the truth as a Catholic. What is the fundamental teachings?
Please help me figuring it out!
[SIGN]Thank you and have a nice day in the presence of God! [/SIGN]

They were correct. There is nothing sinful about being attracted to members of the same gender. It is only a sin if you act on it.

As for ghosts, reading through the catechism, the Church says that it has no official position on ghosts. So one may believe in their existence if they desire, but they are not required to.

[quote="OxygenMan, post:2, topic:316400"]
They were correct. There is nothing sinful about being attracted to members of the same gender. It is only a sin if you act on it.

As for ghosts, reading through the catechism, the Church says that it has no official position on ghosts. So one may believe in their existence if they desire, but they are not required to.

[/quote]

Okay, I see. Thank you very much:)

[quote="Chloe13, post:3, topic:316400"]
Okay, I see. Thank you very much:)

[/quote]

I've heard of "ghosts" in terms of souls in purgatory allowed to ask for our intercession :shrug: So anytime I even hear of any such thing, I pray a Requiem for the holy souls, since they need them...and we need their prayers as well :)

[quote="R_C, post:4, topic:316400"]
I've heard of "ghosts" in terms of souls in purgatory allowed to ask for our intercession :shrug: So anytime I even hear of any such thing, I pray a Requiem for the holy souls, since they need them...and we need their prayers as well :)

[/quote]

:) Oh, that is awesome. I will remember to pray for them too. Thanks for sharing:blush:

[quote="OxygenMan, post:2, topic:316400"]

[/quote]

One may believe in their existence if they choose to do so, but they would be mistaken because there is no evidence to support that belief.

Your teach is correct, homosexual attraction is not in of its self a sin. Acting upon that inclination though is considered grave matter.

As for ghosts, various spirits may or may not exist that wander this world but they definitely are not the lost souls of the dead. Perhaps they are demons, or some other thing unknown to us.

[quote="Formosus, post:7, topic:316400"]
As for ghosts, various spirits may or may not exist that wander this world but they definitely are not the lost souls of the dead. Perhaps they are demons, or some other thing unknown to us.

[/quote]

The danger of being wide open to the "spirits", even when they may say some very good, and convincing things to us, is that they might be demonic and over time they might offer us some very bad and dangerous advice. Approach with great caution and skepticism. All of us are vulnerable when we have lost a loved one. Prayers for the dead are a better way to respond than to have a seance.

Close platonic relationships between men are okay (read about David and Jonathon). Of course, in this day and age people might be scandalized by such a close relationship. :)

2 Samuel 1:26 "I grieve for thee, my brother Jonathan: exceeding beautiful, and amiable to me above the love of women. As the mother loveth her only son, so did I love thee."

In this day and age in Western countries people would think that they were gay. :(

[quote="Zekariya, post:9, topic:316400"]
Close platonic relationships between men are okay (read about David and Jonathon). Of course, in this day and age people might be scandalized by such a close relationship. (

[/quote]

Those who are scandalised would be guilty of leaping to unjust judgement.

Scandal is doing something that deliberately promotes as acceptable to those of our faith that which goes against it.

Simply having a friendship with someone of the same gender does not. For goodness sake, all the Apostles no doubt slumbered together in the same room. They weren't doing anything sinful!

[quote="DexUK, post:10, topic:316400"]
Those who are scandalised would be guilty of leaping to unjust judgement.

Scandal is doing something that deliberately promotes as acceptable to those of our faith that which goes against it.

Simply having a friendship with someone of the same gender does not. For goodness sake, all the Apostles no doubt slumbered together in the same room. They weren't doing anything sinful!

[/quote]

I agree fully! However, things allowed in the past would possibly be seen as gay in parts of the world. St John laid his head on Christ's breast. A Canadian originally thought that the members of a male Korean rock/pop band were gay because how physical (not sexual) they are with each other. These are errors of our society. We have photos from the 1800s of straight American men reposing on one another. No doubt some people think themselves gay because they desire a close intimate (non-sexual) relationship with those of the same gender. Our schools/society program them to think, "I must be gay/bisexual. Why else do I desire this?"

I can recommend that OP takes a look at this letter to the Bishops from Pope Benedict XVI when he was Prefect of the CDF

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_19861001_homosexual-persons_en.html

Many people disagree with what they think the Church teaches on homosexuality rather than what it actually teaches.

[quote="Chloe13, post:1, topic:316400"]
Hi, I know the title might have surprised some Catholics:bigyikes: haha
I'm a Catholic high school student who have taken several theology classes.
One of my religion teachers was teaching us about homosexuals last year,
and he said Catholic Church does not consider liking the same gender as a sin.
If the homosexuals act upon it, then it IS a sin.
I found his comment somewhat controversial and interesting. :hmmm:
I want to know the real answer to this question.
Oh, and one more thing.
Our school was created by sisters and we have teachers who are nuns.
One day, students were talking about ghosts in school,
and one of the sisters told us in class that ghost/spiritual being exists.
I thought it was weird because it goes against the fundamental Catholic teaching of
Heaven & Hell. No soul remains in our world once we die.. so ghost=doesn't exist
I'm just really confused.:banghead:
I'm not trying to pick on homosexuals or people who believe in the existence of ghosts but
I really want to know the truth as a Catholic. What is the fundamental teachings?
Please help me figuring it out!
[SIGN]Thank you and have a nice day in the presence of God! [/SIGN]

[/quote]

I will tackle the first part....Being attracted to the same sex is not a sin as others have stated above me. It is similar to a female teenager being attracted to a male teenager. We all have our attractions. If the female acted on those attractions towards the male and they engaged in acts of the sexual nature, then it becomes a sin. The same goes with homosexuals. I have a wonderful friend who is Catholic and attracted to the same sex. Sometimes he gives into his attraction and has to go to confession, but for the most part he tries to keep from acting on it. His acting out with the same sex is a sin just like people of the opposite sex acting out on their attraction. ;)

Hope this helps!

Any sexual act outside of marriage is a sin.

Homosexual attraction isn't any more or less sinful than heterosexual attraction other than it being disordered towards a grave moral evil.

Based on everyone's comment, seems like being attracted to the same gender is not a sin.
This is my personal opinion though. (I was thinking about this last night)
Not only about this certain topic, but just in general, I've thought even thinking of attempting sin is still a sin. For example, if I imagined hurting someone because of hatred & anger, wouldn't it be still a sin? (A very minor sin that can be forgiven as long as I do not take an action) According to the bible, Jesus says "But I say unto you. That whosoever lookth on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart (Matthew 5:29)"
I know we can't read the bible word to word, but wasn't Jesus trying to tell us, even thinking about committing a sin is still a sin?
Because we are human beings, I do know it is impossible to commit NO sin. But I think what it really matters is, whether the person turns away from taking a further action and creates a bigger sin or not.

[quote="Chloe13, post:15, topic:316400"]
Based on everyone's comment, seems like being attracted to the same gender is not a sin.
Not only about this certain topic, but just in general, I've thought even thinking of attempting sin is still a sin. For example, if I imagined hurting someone because of hatred & anger, wouldn't it be still a sin? (A very minor sin that can be forgiven as long as I do not take an action) According to the bible, Jesus says "But I say unto you. That whosoever lookth on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart (Matthew 5:29)"
I know we can't read the bible word to word, but wasn't Jesus trying to tell us, even thinking about committing a sin is still a sin?
Because we are human beings, I do know it is impossible to commit NO sin. But I think what it really matters is, whether the person turns away from taking a further action and creates a bigger sin or not.

[/quote]

Just having a passing thought about a sin is not sinful, thoughts come and go. We can renounce or ignore those thoughts. However, dwelling on the thought can be sinful and lead to sin.

[quote="Chloe13, post:15, topic:316400"]

[/quote]

Notice the bold. Lust is not a feeling, it is a choice to appropriate feelings for one's own pleasure. He is not addressing the person who notices a beautiful woman, or a man who has urges (feelings) to be sexual with a man. Lust is a spiritual action if you will, a choice to dwell and drool.

If JUST someone of the same sex is a sin then I’m screwed… I’m just glad its not I was always taught just being gay is a sin. But now I’m glad that being attracted to two other women, one being a ‘ex’ bisexual Catholic who keeps saying she straight when she told me before that she was bi, is not a sin unless I acted upon it. Considering I’ve never been physical with a girl of my own sex… :slight_smile:

[quote="GabbyD, post:18, topic:316400"]
If JUST someone of the same sex is a sin then I'm screwed.... I'm just glad its not I was always taught just being gay is a sin. But now I'm glad that being attracted to two other women, one being a 'ex' bisexual Catholic who keeps saying she straight when she told me before that she was bi, is not a sin unless I acted upon it. Considering I've never been physical with a girl of my own sex... :)

[/quote]

Being attracted to her isn't sinful. Lustful thoughts are a sin.

Put simply

• Thinking that you like someone is OK
  • Thinking about what you would like to do with someone isn't

[quote="GabbyD, post:18, topic:316400"]
If JUST someone of the same sex is a sin then I'm screwed.... I'm just glad its not I was always taught just being gay is a sin. But now I'm glad that being attracted to two other women, one being a 'ex' bisexual Catholic who keeps saying she straight when she told me before that she was bi, is not a sin unless I acted upon it. Considering I've never been physical with a girl of my own sex... :)

[/quote]

It's good to define exactly what we are talking about. Being "gay" implies a lifestyle that includes and openly advocates homosexual acts and agendas. Being homosexual defines you as one who chooses to engage in homosexual acts.

Having same sex attractions, urges, feelings, is not a sin. Acting on them, lusting after them, welcoming them into your mind and encouraging them in various ways would be a problem.
Along the same lines, I am a married man who sometimes lusts after disordered sexual thoughts, images, ideas, people. That is sinful. If I see my neightbor's wife in a bikini, notice her beauty and have a sexual feeling, -but let it go- without appropriating her image for my own pleasure, that is not sinful. I am not being an adulterer by having feelings. However if my feelings drag me into imaginary sexual situations, or cause me to make lewd comments, or prompt me to approach her, that is crossing the line from feelings to sinful choices.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.