Is listening to Erasure OK or not? Or any music with gay associations?

I’m asking this not because of the content of the music, which in itself is largely harmless and does not run contrary to Catholic doctrine (as far as I know).

I’m asking this because for a long time, Erasure have long been associated with homosexuality (largely because the lead singer is openly gay) and with the gay clubbing scene.

I’m really wondering if I should listen to ANY music which has such associations, or whether I should just ignore it and enjoy the music for the good tunes they are?

Help?

I would not financially support them: buying CDs or tickets. Same thing with anyone who publicly says, ‘I steal,’ or, ‘I hate Christianity.’

I listen to them. I listen to probably a lot of artists that some members of CAF are going to tell you are inappropriate for a Catholic to listen to. I also read Harry Potter and other books deemed questionable by some posters. Same with tv and movies. Unless the artist in question is heavily promoting immoral activity in their songs or craft, their lifestyle is not a determining factor in what I enjoy.

Erasure, the one-hit wonder band of the 80’s? That Erasure?

Hard to say. I guess you need to decide this for yourself, we have been created for freedom after all. We just need to use it wisely.
Like there was a period of time in Mozart’s life when he was a Mason. He quit - thanks God, but does that mean we should stop listening to his music from this time? Or should we stop reading Oscar Wilde’s books? Or read poetry by Byron?

If we only listened to music by people who don’t sin, we wouldn’t listen to anything at all! same goes for books, films, poetry, art etc.

Michelangelo had relations with both men and women and wrote some pretty full on sonnets to another man, but he also painted the Sistine Chapel.

Caravaggio led a fairly sinful life but painted some of the most beautiful works of art, a lot of which are hanging in churches to this day!

We can’t limit our tastes in music or whatever to those artists who lead exemplary upright lives - we would be culturally very poor if we did that.

Enjoy your music for the pleasure it brings you - you’re not “supporting their lifestyle” by enjoying it. After all, people who like Wagner don’t necessarily approve of his antisemitism!

I was trying for maybe 15 minutes to write something similar but not nearly as concise… XD

My husband is a HUGE fan of synthpop music and I didn’t realize how many of my favorite songs were in that genre until we started dating (I’m a big fan of the 80’s). No long road trip for my husband and I would be complete without some exaggerated singing along to “A Little Respect” and “Always” (that one mainly because of Robot Unicorn Attack). The remix version of “Oh L’amour” also gets a lot of play on my iPod.

If you are concerned about financial support, you don’t need to go to a concert. You don’t even need to buy entire albums anymore. If you want to say “yes, THAT song is a good song” you now have the ability to buy individual tracks.

That’s usually how I do things. If I want to support the musician, I buy whole albums (this includes the songs I might not like as much) and go to concerts (because the musician IS the show). If I want to acknowledge a good song, I buy the song.

If you already have the song then really the only question to ask yourself is “does this song lead me to sin?” Sounds like your answer is “no”. In that case, go back and read ora_pro_nobis’ post. :wink:

As long as the music (specifically the lyrics) is not clearly contrary to the Catholic faith and to good morals, then I don’t see a problem with it.

For example, I try not to listen to songs that take the Lord’s name in vain, or that contain other inappropriate language, or that are blasphemous in some way, or that clearly advocate immoral behavior. However, in most genres of music, that excludes very few songs or artists.

As long as the music doesn’t have any of the type of red flags I mentioned above, I don’t see a problem with it. I wouldn’t interpret the fact that you listen to Erasure (and that you buy their albums/songs) as being an endorsement of the band members’ moral choices or lifestyles.

I enjoy many Erasure songs. I think you need to look at what the lyrics are, and how they affect you.

For example, Depeche Mode’s Question of Time creeps me out. Imho,that song might as well be called “The Pedophile’s Anthem”, but perhaps you don’t experience that way.

It is possible that the lyrics are not meant to be pedophilic at all. We only know that the youth is 15, but we don’t know the context, nor the age of the narrator/singer, who may be only a year or two older.

When I go to the Met Live in HD broadcasts at my local theater, I am one of the few people there who are under 40, male, and straight. Am I supporting an event where gay men of a certain age meet by buying tickets? I suppose so.

Don’t take yourself so seriously! :thumbsup: :slight_smile:

If any type of art, film or music is causing you to act/facilitate a disordered action stop viewing and/or listening to it.

There are more important things to worry about! :slight_smile:

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Erasure are anything but a onehit band.

For sure. I’m not sure how many chart hits they had, but I can think of many of their songs as being worthy of remembering, such as A Little Respect, Heavenly Action, Oh L’ Amour, Chains of Love, Sometimes, Love to Hate You, Stop!, Victim of Love, etc.

When you have questions like this, you are being called by the Lord to more deeply discern your music-listening habits.

Would you ask the same question about Gregorian chant?

If I think that ANY music has a negative impact on my faith, I’d be questioning it regardless of whether it’s Gregorian chant, pop, rock or anything else.

There was a time when I used to listen to only religiously-themed music. All this seemed to do was make me too obsessive about my music listening and also very judgmental about both secular/non-Christian bands and people who listened to them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.