Is living together always wrong?

I thought living together chastely was ok, but is that true? We’re older adults, both around 60. We have been together for 12 years. The first ten we lived separately, but mainly because of financial reasons we have lived together the last two. This was prompted by her losing her job, and not being able to find something else, deciding to retire. In order to help with expenses and not being forced to sell her home, I moved in. She is drawing a survivor social security check which she would lose if we were to marry before she becomes eligible to draw her own. We have been pretty successful at remaining chaste, though we did have one failing while we’ve been living together. I heard someone refer to a person as ‘living in sin’ and it bothered me. I don’t think of us as doing that because we don’t have relations as a married couple would. I thought being chaste, even though living with someone, kept me in good standing with the Church. Have I been deceiving myself?

These links should explain to you the Church’s teachings on cohabitation and the sin of scandal. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
How do I handle this situation?

Can an unmarried couple sleep together w/out ‘sleeping together’?
Is sharing a bed always a sin?
Why is causing scandal sinful?
Is cohabitation a mortal sin?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.